D&D 4E DDXP 4E Rules Appendix

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Teemu said:
Is the "one extended rest per day" a new thing we didn't know about?

er, some of us knew about it. (and we used it, and still didn't beat that damn dragon).

"Resource management", always part of D&D, has not gone away. But its changed.

If you keep adventuring: you can keep using at wills, healing surges, and per encounters, and maybe build up action points.

If you stop: you get your dailys, hit points, and healing surges back.

Decisions, decisions...

Shroomy

Adventurer
I remember the rule that there was only one extended rest per day came out during DDXP, but with the sheer amount of information that came out, it got lost in the shuffle.

Bishmon

First Post
TerraDave said:
er, some of us knew about it. (and we used it, and still didn't beat that damn dragon).

"Resource management", always part of D&D, has not gone away. But its changed.

If you keep adventuring: you can keep using at wills, healing surges, and per encounters, and maybe build up action points.

If you stop: you get your dailys, hit points, and healing surges back.

Decisions, decisions...
Without time constraints, I'm not sure I see the decision. I just don't see what WotC has done to discourage a party blasting through limited resources and then resting up for the day after only an encounter or two. They've made it much more feasible to continue adventuring after blasting through those resources, but there's no actual mechanical reason to continue on.

The action points were a good idea, in theory. The more you adventure, you more action points you get. Great. But you can only use one action point per encounter, and hey, if you take an extended rest, you're guaranteed to get an action point anyway, in addition to your full hit points and complete recharge of your dailies and healing surges.

I think the hope is that the increased feasibility provided by the per-encounters and at-wills will make it easier for parties to follow the honor system in not setting up camp for the day after an adventure or two, but like I said, mechanically, I don't see the decision to be made.

edit: I think a good idea might have been to provide some bonus XP after a certain encounter, maybe the sixth encounter the party completed that day, with the idea that such a good day of adventuring provided a bit of boost to their skill, sort of like getting in a good, long workout. The bonus XP wouldn't have to be much, maybe 1/4-1/2 of a typical encounter.

Now, something like that would actually create a decision among the party. Do they pack up early and take an extended rest to get some of their more powerful resources back, or do they press on and try and get in a fuller day of adventuring, which would provide a small bonus to their skill? I would have liked to have seen WotC try something like that.

Last edited:

am181d

Adventurer
"You can take one opportunity action on each combatant's turn (if available)."

This suggests to me that the 1 AoO/round rule from 3e is gone. Yes?

keterys

First Post
Yep - that one was already known, but you can make (# of opponents) Opportunity Attacks... a fighter in a corridor gets to OA every goblin that runs past him to the wizard. Every one.

D'karr

Adventurer
am181d said:
"You can take one opportunity action on each combatant's turn (if available)."

This suggests to me that the 1 AoO/round rule from 3e is gone. Yes?

Yes, it is gone. You may take Opportunity Attacks against anybody that provokes them but only once per opponent. Our combat with the dragon was rife with those.

D'karr

Adventurer
Oldtimer said:
Here is another interesting tidbit:
Now, that's new. Flanking with a ranged weapon. Hmm...

Yes, I was playing the ranger in one of the games. I was flanking with the fighter even though I had a ranged weapon. I did not however, threaten with it. So when an opponent provoked an OA, I could not take it.

Remove ads