D&D 5E Dealing with optimizers at the table

I haven't found that to be difficult in 5e. In 3.5 it was a cast iron SOB, but not so much now. That's personal experience, and it may have something to do with my development as a DM, but I have a 6 player group with 2 optimizers, a noob and the rest of the table falling somewhere in between.

My solution was more complex encounters. Less solo mobs in an empty room. Larger groups of minions (thanks 4e) with several reasonable threats spread throughout an area. I incorporate cover, difficult terrain, chokepoints, elevation changes, and features that can be interacted with (chandeliers, crates, doors, etc) and use challenges from hard to "deadly."

Everyone gets to shine at the intensity they like. They all stay busy. They all have fun. Rarely is the party threatened with a TPK, but there is usually a degree of danger.
I'm with @TheSword on this: that's hard to do. Just because you're good at it doesn't make it easy, it makes you skilled.

If everyone's paying in good faith (ie they care about everyone else having fun as well), there are a ton of simple solutions to the problem(s) cause by differing amounts of optimization. If someone at the table doesn't care about ruining other people's fun, there's no solution to the underlying problem, which is one or more people being wangrods.

There's lots of good advice on this thread. Since I can't add to it, I'm going to offer some less-good suggestions instead.

Work out what level of creatures the non-optimisers can reliably one-shot, and only have encounters with those. Everybody gets to plough through the monsters and the optimisation makes no difference. Have large enough groups that there are more than enough monsters to go around.

Have lot of interesting non-combat encounters, and have the NPCs ignore the optimisers since they don't want to participate anyway. Give the spotlight to the non-optimisers.

Every once in a while maybe have a big fight where the optimisers get to shine.

Redwizard007

Adventurer
I'm with @TheSword on this: that's hard to do. Just because you're good at it doesn't make it easy, it makes you skilled.

If everyone's paying in good faith (ie they care about everyone else having fun as well), there are a ton of simple solutions to the problem(s) cause by differing amounts of optimization. If someone at the table doesn't care about ruining other people's fun, there's no solution to the underlying problem, which is one or more people being wangrods.

Thanks. I think the second part here is the real problem. A disruptive player is something far more difficult to deal with.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
There are three builds/strategies that might qualify; coffeelock and nuclear wizard.

Coffeelock relies on (a) pact magic spell slots can be used for flexible casting, and (b) elves never need to take a long rest.
1. Sleep and long rest are not the same thing. Elves trance for 4 hours but their long rest time is the same as anyone else's -nowhere does it say otherwise;
2. slots are slots BUT if the player is going to abuse this - the DM can easily say pact magic is an exception as Warlocks in general are not casters; or easier;
3. The very common houserule that characters can only benefit from 2 short rests in a row and require a long rest to reset this;
4. If the player complains ask if they'd rather you ban multiclassing, a clearly optional rule.
Nuclear Wizard basically relies on the rule that magic missile rolls for damage once.
Hey look, more warlock multiclass issues - it's a pattern.
This one is simple - each bonus is added to 1 missile and 1 missile only (if you're generous you can have the curse and the invoker bonus added to different missiles). Is that RAW? Don't care, it avoids a very clear rules ambiguity exploit.

Infinite Simulacrum relies on the fact that your simulacrum can cast simulacrum, generating a countably infinitely long chain of half-HP near-full-spell-slot duplicates of yourself.
Just say nope - sorry, 1 simulacrum at a time. Is that RAW? Again, don't care it prevents a clearly unintended and tortured rules exploit.

The point is the truly horrific optimizations require tortured rule application and (usually) fitting together of classes/abilities that were not intended - if it breaks, just say no.

But the TRUE point is: everyone has to be playing in good faith. Everyone at the table should be there to have fun, while not stomping on the fun of others at the table.

That's the main reason that the OPs situation (as presented) is truly problematic. When he had a conversation with the 2 players, their response to "Maybe tone down the blatant optimizing, at least the ridiculous parts?" weren't met with "Hmm, let's have a conversation," Or "That seems unfair, can we help the other players get to our level?" but instead with "haha NO, non-optimization is stupid" or even "Just tell them to get good!"

It seems like both a clash of styles AND clear bad faith gaming - which is much harder to deal with.

IME there are two kinds of problematic munchkinism, and here's how I deal with them:

1. Multiclass dips that exploit gaps in designer testing & thinking. I simply restrict multiclassing to 2 classes, and you can't MC Warlock. The end. There are still some things you can that are cool, but they're not ridiculous.

2. Rules-lawyer crap. I let players play rules-lawyer a bit, but I am unwavering in my power as the rules-judge, rules-jury, and rules-executioner. If there is a vague spot in the rules, I typically resolve it in favor of not enabling munchkinism. If there appears to be an oversight in the RAW, I become rules-legislator and add a house rule. I have very few such house rules. In fact, since the errata to Healing Spirit, I think the only one I have is that Disciple of Life creates 2+Level extra Goodberries, rather than making each individual berry itself absurdly potent.

NotAYakk

Legend
1. Sleep and long rest are not the same thing. Elves trance for 4 hours but their long rest time is the same as anyone else's -nowhere does it say otherwise;
Yes, hence no long rest, no reset of sorcery points. That is what coffeelock is based off of.
2. slots are slots BUT if the player is going to abuse this - the DM can easily say pact magic is an exception as Warlocks in general are not casters; or easier;
No, 5e doesn't say 'slots are slots'.

In fact it states that non-warlock slots are slots, and that warlock slots can be used to cast non-warlock spells and vice versa.

It does not say anywhere that rules that refer to "slots" in warlock refer to non-warlock slots. If you take that as written, then warlock 1 means your wizard slots refresh on short rests (read pact magic rules - it literally tell you that you regain all of "your slots" at the end of a short rest).

The MC rules tell you how to combine slots, and it never says "slots are slots". It says that non-warlock slots are slots, and that you can interchange warlock and non-warlock slots for the purpose of casting spells.

I mean, "slots are slots" is a much more sensible way to read those optional rules than what they say.

3. The very common houserule that characters can only benefit from 2 short rests in a row and require a long rest to reset this;
Sure, you can go ahead and change the rules. I'm just giving examples of builds that are sufficiently strong they could be called game breaking.
This one is simple - each bonus is added to 1 missile and 1 missile only (if you're generous you can have the curse and the invoker bonus added to different missiles). Is that RAW? Don't care, it avoids a very clear rules ambiguity exploit.
Yes, you can change the rules or how you interpret them. I didn't say you can't.

And the number of cases where it breaks so badly you should do that is not that bad.

Just say nope - sorry, 1 simulacrum at a time. Is that RAW? Again, don't care it prevents a clearly unintended and tortured rules exploit.
Yes, you can change the rules.

See a pattern?
The point is the truly horrific optimizations require tortured rule application and (usually) fitting together of classes/abilities that were not intended - if it breaks, just say no.

But, I mean, using warlock slots to fuel almost any all slot based abilities in the game doesn't break things. The one exception I know of is flexible casting. I mean you could do something with artificer alchemist potions, but those are so weak I don't think anyone cares.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Yes, hence no long rest, no reset of sorcery points. That is what coffeelock is based off of.

No, 5e doesn't say 'slots are slots'.

In fact it states that non-warlock slots are slots, and that warlock slots can be used to cast non-warlock spells and vice versa.

It does not say anywhere that rules that refer to "slots" in warlock refer to non-warlock slots. If you take that as written, then warlock 1 means your wizard slots refresh on short rests (read pact magic rules - it literally tell you that you regain all of "your slots" at the end of a short rest).

The MC rules tell you how to combine slots, and it never says "slots are slots". It says that non-warlock slots are slots, and that you can interchange warlock and non-warlock slots for the purpose of casting spells.

I mean, "slots are slots" is a much more sensible way to read those optional rules than what they say.

Sure, you can go ahead and change the rules. I'm just giving examples of builds that are sufficiently strong they could be called game breaking.

Yes, you can change the rules or how you interpret them. I didn't say you can't.

And the number of cases where it breaks so badly you should do that is not that bad.

See a pattern?

But, I mean, using warlock slots to fuel almost any all slot based abilities in the game doesn't break things. The one exception I know of is flexible casting. I mean you could do something with artificer alchemist potions, but those are so weak I don't think anyone cares.
Maybe I should have just put in the 2nd half of the post, because the first half is a distraction.

The problem isn't the optimization itself - it's opposed play styles and (more importantly and a bigger problem imo) playing in bad faith. No amount of rules interpretation, rules fixes, or ANY in game solution will fix that.

Coffeelock was exactly that sort of bad-faith gaming. It relied on having a weak DM who lets you get away with never resting, not on actual rules. It was not quite true that "elves never need to long rest;" rather, the effects of not resting were left to the DM's discretion. The rules section on ability checks makes it abundantly clear that when to call for an ability check, what DC to set, and what the consequences might be are, with few exceptions, in the hands of the DM. Unfortunately, a lot of 5e DMs have never really grasped this, even today.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Coffeelock was exactly that sort of bad-faith gaming. It relied on having a weak DM who lets you get away with never resting, not on actual rules. It was not quite true that "elves never need to long rest;" rather, the effects of not resting were left to the DM's discretion. The rules section on ability checks makes it abundantly clear that when to call for an ability check, what DC to set, and what the consequences might be are, with few exceptions, in the hands of the DM. Unfortunately, a lot of 5e DMs have never really grasped this, even today.

Right.

For example, I love (my players might say irrationally love) effects that impose exhaustion. Getting rid of exhaustion without a long rest is HARD (involving a very rare potion or a mid-high level spell that only removes 1 level). Shirking long rests in my campaign is dangerous.

Greg K

Legend
I am not sure if this belongs here or whether I should have begun a new thread (and my apologies upfront for the length of the post). However, I think part of any conversation on optimization requires understanding differences in "player types" as too often one or more styles get villified rather than acknowledging that they are simply bad at a given table. Players have different motivations for playing the game. These motivations can lead to different optimization goals, different beliefs about what type of optimization and/or degree of optmization is appropirate or inappropriate, and the purpose of playing the game. When one or more of these views are in opposition to those of others at table, conflict can arise.

Before looking at player types, I want to give my thoughts on optimization.

1. Optimization is a tool to meet a goal or goals related to one's character concept. The goal can be directed to combat, power, a focus on a particular skill, or to best mechanically reflects an overall character concept. Any time that a player assigns/allocates resources to meet a particular goal or concept they are engaging in optimization. The only way to avoid optimization would be to randomly generate the character or assign things haphazardly without thought of the character and how to represent it .

2. Optimization is not binary. There are degrees of optimization. It is a continuum on an axis. Someone randomly rolling the mechanical aspects without any choice in assignment or haphazardly assigning without thought would be 0 (or not engaging) on the axis. However, as soon as one begins prioritizing resources to a concept, they are participating in some degree of optimization. For instance, placing one's highest ability score in Dex, because it gives your rogue bonuses on their rogue related proficiencies is optimizing. Taking a skill or proficiency to mechaniclally reflect a character's training and gain the mechanical benefit is also engaging in a degree of optimization. Someone scouring every tome for every last point is going to be at the far end of the spectrum.

3. Optimization need not have the goal of focusing on a single area and getting the most efficiency or output possible in that area. First, as stated in #2 above, optimization is on a continuum. Second, it is possible to have multiple goals that need to be met. When this occurs, it is often necessary to trade off maximum possible efficency/output in one or more areas to meet established goals for other areas This is called Systems Optimization.

4. If mechanically representation of a character is a goal involving at least some forethought in the allocation of resources to achieve that representation, I submit that what many people consider just "building a character" does involve a degree of optimization. One has a vision of their character and assigns resources (ability scores (and points if doing point buy), proficiencies (or skill points in some editions). Furthermore, since optimization is not binary, the degree of optimization is how much effort is spent by the player fine tuning the mechanical aspects and bonuses to best get close to the ideal vision he or she character at the point of beginning play.

Hence, it is not just the Butt-Kickers and Power Gamers that can engage in optimization . Other styles can engage in optimization, but the goals may be different. Furthermore, based upon the definitions of "player types" below, optimization is not required to be a Butt-Kicker or Power Gamer, because they are motivations for playing the game.

Robin Laws, in both Robin Law's of Good Mastering and the 4e DMGs, identified several types of players by what motivates them. Now, between the two sources, some player types are identified under different names, some share the same name, and a few are unique to one source or the other. I am going to list them, primarily, as they are found in Robin's Laws of Good Mastering, but I will include the 4e definition as well.

I also want to note a few things before getting to the player types. First, each of the following types are a different axis with their own continnum. As such, many people are a combination of multiple types with one or two usually being more prominent as evident form the results of people posting on ENWorld, RPGNet and other sites whom took an old online quiz and posted their results (Unfortunately, for the curious, the quiz was removed last time I checked).

On to the player types. (Note: I have included an observation and/or comment with a few of the player types)

Butt-Kicker (4e Slayer)
You like a straightforward combat character. After a long day at the office, you want to clobber foes and once more prove your superiority over all who would challenge you.

(4e Slayer: The slayer is like the power gamer, but s/he is even easier to please. She emphasizes kicking the tar out of monsters. Maybe she does so to let off a little steam in a safe way, or s/he likes the joy of feeling superior. Perhaps it’s the pleasure of having the power to mete out punishment to villains. D&D combat is thrilling. Few other aspects of the game put a character in such apparent jeopardy. Beating the bad guys is a clear success. Most players enjoy these D&D elements, but the slayer seeks them foremost.)

According to 4e, notes about the Butt-Kicker (or Slayer as it is called in 4e), the Butt-Kicker optimizes for combat. I would like to point out that Butt-Kicker ,by both definitons, is a motivation based around the enjoyment of combat. There is no requirement for optimization (let alone an extreme degree of optimizaiton). Yes, optimization is a tool used by many butt-kickers to achieve their goal- even if it is as simple as putting a high stat in Strenght for non-dex melee types, However, in many early editions, you rolled and took the scores in order with a 9 in Stregnth qualifying fighter. Thankfully, in some versions earlier versions ability modifiers for combat were minimal (or did not exist at all). Hence, optimization is not a requirment to be a Butt-Kicker.

4e also states that butt-kickers place less emphasis on story and roleplayig elements. This is not true of all butt-kickers, but many place a high emphasis on combat over everything else. When the butt-kicker is heavily focused on combat over everything else (with the possible exception of Power Gamer), it can become an issue for Exploration, Method Acting and Storytelling focused groups (or groups that place some emphasis on one or more of these. At best, the Butt-Kicker remains quiet until combat starts. At the worst, the Butt-Kicker complains and becomes an Instigator starting combat to relieve his or her boredom during the RP portions.

Power Gamer
The Power Gamer wants to make his character bigger, tougher, buffer, and richer. However success is defined in your game, that's what you want. You want the "game" put back into "roleplaying game," and you want the chance to add shiny new abilities to your character sheet.

(4e Power Gamer: A power gamer thrives on gaining levels and loves the cool abilities that come with those levels. S/he defeats monsters to take their stuff and use that stuff against future enemies. The story and roleplaying are secondary to action and awesome abilities and magic items.
Most players have a little power gamer in them. A couple of the core elements of fun in the D&D game are the accumulation of power and the use of that power to accomplish astonishing deeds. Nothing is wrong with enjoying that in the game).

According to the additional points in 4e on Power Gamers, he or she optimizes character attributes for combat performance. This, however, is not necessarily true. Power Gamer, like Butt-Kicker, is a motivation and need not optimize as neither definition requires optimization- espcially, for combat. If the campaign is not heavy in combat, an opitmizing Power Gamer will optimize toward something else. More imporantly, both definitions define the Power Gamer as being motivated by playing a powerful character or accumulating power. Playing a powerful character can involve a player requiring that a PC have the minimum competence level of a SWAT officer or Olympic Athlete (or some other minimum standard) to be playable which may entail the need for optimization. Then again, a Power Gamer, as noted above, can simply be someone playing with an emphasis upon the cycle of leveling, gaining cool powers, and the accumulation of power which needs no engagement in optimization. Therefore, optimization is an optional tool in which many Power Gamers engage, because it is useful for their motivation/goal for playing.

Method Actor (4e Actor)
You think that gaming is a form of creative expression. You may view rules as, at best, a necessary evil, preferring sessions where the dice never come out of the bag. You enjoy situations that test or deepen your character's personality traits.

(4e Actor: The actor likes to pretend to be her/his character. S/he emphasizes character development that has nothing to do with numbers and powers, trying to make her/his character seem to be a real person in the fantasy world. S/he enjoys interacting with the rest of the group, with characters and monsters in the game world, and with the fantasy world in general by speaking “in character” and describing her/his character’s actions in the first person.
The actor values narrative game elements over mechanical ones. Unlike the storyteller, s/he values her/his character’s personality and motivations over other story elements.)

I agree for the most part. However, the few players leaning heavily toward method actors that I have seen build characters built characters that mechanicall reflect the character they want to play. They may have preferred that the dice not come out, but they wanted their character to perform appropriately for the character envisioned by them when the dice hit the table (perhaps this has to do with having at least power gamer in them even if it is low).

Specialist (no 4e equivalent)
You favor a particular character type that you play in most campaigns you're involved in. Ninjas are quite popular. You want the rules to support your favorite kind of character, but otherwise, it's not a big deal. And, you want to be able to do your cool things in a game, like climbing on walls.

In my experience, this type of player tends to emphasize one or more skills. However, depending upon the player, class, and edition of D&D, combat may or may not also be important.

Storyteller
You're more inclined toward the role playing side of the equation and less interested in numbers or experience points. You're quick to compromise if you can help move the story forward, and get bored when the game slows down for a long planning session. You want to play out a story that moves like it's orchestrated by a skilled novelist or film director.

(4e Storyteller: The storyteller is a player who prefers the narrative of the game to individual character motivations and personality. This player sees the game as an ongoing chronicle of events in the fantasy world, and s/he wants to see where the tale goes. For the storyteller, the rules are there to support the game’s ongoing story. S/he believes that when the rules get in the way, the narrative should win. Compromise for the sake of the story is more important than individual character motivations.)

According to 4e, Storytellers come up with elaborate backgrounds and want their characters to fit in the setting. My own experience with Storytellers is that they often have a different type of optimization from Butt-Kicker, Power Gamer, and even Specialists It is often not seen as optimization, because it is not directed toward combat efficiency or accumulating power. Instead, it is directed toward a mechanical realization of the character they envision and takes into account background and fitting the character into the world. Also, the degree of optimization varies by the amount of time fine tuning the character's build with various options.

I have also seen Method Actors and Explorers (see below), whom have a heavy overlap with the Storyteller (and one another) take a similar approach,. As I noted above under Method Actor, perhaps this has to do with having at least some rating in Power Gamer (or Butt-KIcker) even if minimal. Or, perhaps, it is wanting to see the outcome they envision best happening when the dice hit the table. Regardless, this form of optimization can be disrupting to a table of Butt-kickers or Power Gamers (both of whom may consider the character as dead weight) just as Butt-Kickers and Power Gamers can be disruptive at other tables.

Tactician (4e Thinker)
You're probably a military buff who wants to have the chance to think through complex problems. You want the rules, and your GM's interpretation of them, to match up what happens in the real world or at least be consistant. You want challenging yet logical obstacles to overcome.

(4e Thinker: A thinker likes to make careful choices, reflecting on challenges and the best way to overcome them. S/he also enjoys her/himself most when her/his planning results in success with minimal risk and use of resources. Solving a challenge in a creative way is more important to the thinker than character power or roleplaying issues. In fact, the thinker might prefer sound tactics to acting in character or straightforward, brute force battle.)

Casual Gamer (4e Watcher)
You generally get left out when people talk about gamer types, but there's usually one in each game. You tend to be low key and come to hang out with your friends. But, you fill a very important and often underappreciated role of taking on the job nobody else jumps up at. And, typically, you also help to balance out some of the stronger personalities in the group. Good on you!

(4e Watcher: A watcher is a casual player who comes to the game because s/he wants to be part of the social event. A watcher might be shy or just really laid back. S/he wants to participate, but s/he doesn’t really care if s/he’s deeply immersed, and he doesn’t want to be assertive or too involved in the details of the game, rules, or story. S/he enjoys the game by being part of a social circle.)

I don't know how it holds up among anyone else's experience, but, in my experience, the Casual Gamer optimizes the least. They don't put as much thought into the character and may assign the highest stat (or stats) into their class's main associated ability score(s). They might take a skill or proficiency that is expected (initially, because other players tell them to do so.
While not true for all casual gamers that I have encountered (some even become great players), I find that they can often be as disruptive to the game as anyone optimizing for the wrong table. The girlfriend or boyfriend might be distracting to get their partner's attention. Some whom are there just there to hangout may become instigators, because they are not there for the game. Others are not interested at all in the game and have to be prompted to refocus thier attention. ).

4e identifies two other player types not found in Good Gamemastering

Explorer
An explorer loves to see new places in the fantasy world and to meet the residents of such places, fair and foul. All the explorer needs is the promise of an interesting locale or different culture, and off she goes to see that place.

The explorer wants to experience the wonders the game world has to offer. S/he also wants to know that there’s more out there to find. S/he presses for details: proper names of characters and places, descriptions of the environment, and some idea of what’s over the next hill. She’s sometimes interested in the adventure plot and her/his character’s motivations. (The explorer is close kin to both the actor and the storyteller.) The wonder of new discoveries is what is key to keeping the explorer happy.

Instigator
An instigator enjoys making things happen. S/he has no patience for careful planning or deliberation. S/he’ll open an obviously trapped chest “just to see what happens.” She provokes authority figures and opens dungeon doors to bring more monsters into an already difficult fight. The instigator loves the vicarious thrill of taking enormous risks and sometimes just making bad choices.

The instigator can be disruptive, but s/he can also be a lot of fun for the other players. Things rarely grind to a halt with an instigator in the group, and the stories that get retold after the game session often revolve around whatever crazy thing the instigator did this week.

Now back to the OPs issue and the relationship between "player types" and optimization? I suspect the OPs optimizers also happen to be Butt-Kicker and/or Power Gamers, who place a high emphasis Power Gamer and Combat compared to the DM and group.

(edited: I tried to clean up some of the spelling and grammar issues. However, as when I typed my original post,I am doing this, essentially, "half-blind" so I am sure that I did not catch everything).

Last edited:

Remove ads