• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dealing with spellcasters as a martial

5ekyu

Hero
As for the long bit about how its not mattering how rogues can get out of it and how fighters can get out of it as part of the semi rant mea victimo...

"My post, that was intended to share means to counter casters, both as player and as DM,"

If it was INTENDED and DESIGNED to counter casters, what do rogues and warrior and non caster escapes have to do with the subject?

Why would anyone address that?

Erechel

Explorer
There are times when one sees a perfect storm of a case, this post seems one.

There is a common phenomenon of "defend my mechanic-itis" and this case has gone critical.

Thanks for this post.

As I've said, multiple times now: bring a better one. I'm not claiming mine to be perfect, at all. Correct it. Improve it. Share it. And I'll accept every correction you made as a legitimate attempt to discuss. But no, you insist in an ad hominem fallacy, thus strenghtening the perception that you oppose on principle.

As for the long bit about how its not mattering how rogues can get out of it and how fighters can get out of it as part of the semi rant mea victimo...

"My post, that was intended to share means to counter casters, both as player and as DM,"

If it was INTENDED and DESIGNED to counter casters, what do rogues and warrior and non caster escapes have to do with the subject?

Why would anyone address that?

Bards are non casters? I've quoted them as being able to escape via Acrobatics expertise. Clerics are non casters? They can perfectly escape from this. You aren't addressing anything specific about the mechanic, you insist on attacking that what surrounds the mechanic. I've given you more than one alternative to resolve the same situation. Have you given at least one?

No. You are arguing on air, ignoring every type of argument that I could make. On principle. Deflecting any type of real discussion.

Last edited:

5ekyu

Hero
"No, it isn't unnecessary. Perhaps in your game, you choose to ignore rules to improve the wizardry experience, which, for the first time, I read someone complain of as lacking power (!)."

I know such things are not by any means scientific or proof, but almost every time play stats or play preferences across wide groups are put together and compiled... "Martials" usually put several into the top 10%, are well represented.

I think one of the more recent race-class had 4-6 martials (6 if yyou count ranger-pally) in the top 11 (tie for 10th place) so right at half.

In part this is because for the most part dnd 5e is built as and played as a group game where each character brings stuff to the table and helps do things... So its not vital that any one thing be important to be on every class.

If your game features lotsa situations where "we all die if the fighter cannot stop the mage cold with a couple easy checks" that is perhaps more an issue to look at your gm and his design choices.

But i have not seen any sort of broad hue and cry about how weak martials are in campaign play in 5e, much less the need for this extreme a house rule choke down v casters.

Erechel

Explorer
"No, it isn't unnecessary. Perhaps in your game, you choose to ignore rules to improve the wizardry experience, which, for the first time, I read someone complain of as lacking power (!)."

I know such things are not by any means scientific or proof, but almost every time play stats or play preferences across wide groups are put together and compiled... "Martials" usually put several into the top 10%, are well represented.

I think one of the more recent race-class had 4-6 martials (6 if yyou count ranger-pally) in the top 11 (tie for 10th place) so right at half.

In part this is because for the most part dnd 5e is built as and played as a group game where each character brings stuff to the table and helps do things... So its not vital that any one thing be important to be on every class.

If your game features lotsa situations where "we all die if the fighter cannot stop the mage cold with a couple easy checks" that is perhaps more an issue to look at your gm and his design choices.

But i have not seen any sort of broad hue and cry about how weak martials are in campaign play in 5e, much less the need for this extreme a house rule choke down v casters.

I really, really never complained on martials being weak. Look up, even as I've being answering you: Power wise, fighters are great. They can be a little boring, though, if the only thing they can do is I attack. You realize that you are broadly and consistently ignoring what I say and twisting it and insulting me because you don't like a thing I could theoretically allow as a DM, or attempt as a player? Are you conscious that you are not concerned at all about balance or the game, and you have enclosed into a war trench against anything I've said? I've quoted the rules I use, that are already there. Which ones I'm ignoring?

Not to mention the disrespect, something that I've consistently avoided. As I've said prior: you don't like it on principle, and it is a fact. And I've even given you a way to counter this claim: bring a better approach. This may come in a table. In fact, in many tables I've been it has come around in one or another way. This is one approach, based on rules already there. It could be better, yes, probably. So far, it is the only one I've tried. Bring another one, and I will try it too. It is a counter-caster measure, yes, as a disarm is a counter-martial measure. It is an analogy: I hope that you understand what an analogy is, and what it is used for.

So, for now, I'm going to ignore you. Just because it isn't worth it. I can manage disentions on my thought. I can manage discussions. I can manage criticism on my decisions. What I don't want to is to manage is disrespect and gross manipulations and distortions of what I'm saying so you can pass by my real arguments, and convince... who? that you are right without actually discussing.

I started with AD&D, and as one of the grognards say, there use to be much harder rules against spellcasting, like, say, you lose any spell you're casting if you are punched in the face. You. Lost. the. friggin. spell. Here you can cast in melee without any type of hindrance. You don't even need to be holding a weapon to defend yourself.
I'm not arguing on that point. Spellcasting in combat used to be much more difficult. Nowadays, it's much easier, and balanced by the fact that the spells are much less effective baseline - and by the fact that fighting is much more effective for fighters than it used to be; a wizard is expected to throw a cantrip every round that they aren't casting another spell, and their dagger is relatively even less effective than it used to be.

So, as I've said earlier, I'm not claiming that a grapple is the rule to impede spellcasting. It is a model to improvise the action I want to make, as per the Contests in Combat rule and Improvisation rule.
The improvisation rules say that the DM should use the existing rules as a guideline for what is or is-not possible, and how to model them. That is both the letter and the intent of the rule. Nobody is arguing with that.

The issue at hand is that this particular ruling - this specific mechanic for performing this action - is completely out of line with what is otherwise possible within the rules that are codified. It is an order of magnitude more powerful than either shoving or grappling. A reasonable person would not read the rules in the book, and then assume that they could make an opposed Athletics check to gag a spellcaster during combat.

The logical ruling here would be that the DM says such an action is impossible, exactly the same as if the wizard player wanted to use their knowledge of magical weather to trap the fighter in an ethereal tornado. It doesn't matter if the fighter could theoretically escape by making an opposed Arcana check. It would invalidate the game that everyone else signed up to play, the same as if you let someone bypass hit points by taking a 'slit throat' action. Any action that is egregiously out of line with existing actions should be impossible.

Tony Vargas

Legend
This may come in a table. In fact, in many tables I've been it has come around in one or another way. This is one approach, based on rules already there. It could be better, yes, probably. So far, it is the only one I've tried. Bring another one, and I will try it too. It is a counter-caster measure, yes, as a disarm is a counter-martial measure. It is an analogy: I hope that you understand what an analogy is, and what it is used for.
Thing is, it's a declared action and one way a DM might resolve that declared action. There's nothing too hard-and-fast about that, and nothing precedent-setting beyond the table in question. DMs aren't even in any way obliged to stand by their past rulings as precedents - a choker (either the monster of that name, or just 'one who chokes') could choke out your PC wizard, preventing him from casting spells, and then the same DM, the same day, could rule that you couldn't choke out an enemy caster.
Each circumstance is different and can receive a different ruling when you're off in improv territory.

Erechel

Explorer
Thing is, it's a declared action and one way a DM might resolve that declared action. There's nothing too hard-and-fast about that, and nothing precedent-setting beyond the table in question. DMs aren't even in any way obliged to stand by their past rulings as precedents - a choker (either the monster of that name, or just 'one who chokes') could choke out your PC wizard, preventing him from casting spells, and then the same DM, the same day, could rule that you couldn't choke out an enemy caster.
Each circumstance is different and can receive a different ruling when you're off in improv territory.

Yes. Exactly. Thank you, sincerely. This is one way to resolve things, not the only one. Just the only one I've somewhat systematized, because it worked for me, and it makes sense. And as I've said earlier, if someone comes with a better way to do it, I'll be happy to recognize it.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Yes. Exactly. Thank you, sincerely. This is one way to resolve things, not the only one. Just the only one I've somewhat systematized, because it worked for me, and it makes sense. And as I've said earlier, if someone comes with a better way to do it, I'll be happy to recognize it.
Rather than rule on improv, I'm tempted to just change the casting rules: have casting provoke, and hits while casting require a concentration save to finish the spell successfully (slot expended either way).

Because, again, grognard. ;|

Last edited:

Erechel

Explorer
The improvisation rules say that the DM should use the existing rules as a guideline for what is or is-not possible, and how to model them. That is both the letter and the intent of the rule. Nobody is arguing with that.

The issue at hand is that this particular ruling - this specific mechanic for performing this action - is completely out of line with what is otherwise possible within the rules that are codified. It is an order of magnitude more powerful than either shoving or grappling. A reasonable person would not read the rules in the book, and then assume that they could make an opposed Athletics check to gag a spellcaster during combat.

I understand your line of thought. But I digress in your conclussion: gagging someone is specifically quoted as a way to impede verbal components, and verbal components are rules. And any attempt of gagging someone would quickly lead to a combat, in some way or another. And it is mostly relevant in combat, not outside it. And it is an order of magnitude more powerful under specific circumstances: it only impedes casting with verbal components, but there are multiple actions that said caster could take, including casting spells without verbal components. And there are spells and actions a caster could do to invalidate this very easily: spells like freedom of movement that renders your caster immune to this, and spells like misty step, that allow you to escape. And there are more than one physical approach: Athletics or Acrobatics. Furthermore, why do even include verbal components if they aren't relevant?

The logical ruling here would be that the DM says such an action is impossible, exactly the same as if the wizard player wanted to use their knowledge of magical weather to trap the fighter in an ethereal tornado. It doesn't matter if the fighter could theoretically escape by making an opposed Arcana check. It would invalidate the game that everyone else signed up to play, the same as if you let someone bypass hit points by taking a 'slit throat' action. Any action that is egregiously out of line with existing actions should be impossible.

The fact is, there are spells that do something like that, and worse. Hold Person, that paralyzes and imposes a Saving Throw no martial has. Forcecage. Control Water to create a wave to knock a fighter. Tsunami, for a more gruesome way to do the same. And, as I've said earlier, this is in the same order of magnitude than a disarm. It doesn't disable a caster in every possible way, such as an ethereal tornado or a hold person. It just prevents certain spells with verbal components. Furthermore, it isn't impossible: it is a valid approach, using the existing rules. You could rule it otherwise, [MENTION=6775031]Saelorn[/MENTION], and increase the difficulty accordingly. I'm not complaining on that. This mechanic, specifically, could be flawed by being too easy, but not by intent. If the rogue would try to use its expertise in Sleight of Hands to steal the material components of a spell, such as a crystal that acts as an arcane focus, you would say the same? That it is an abuse? I'm taking advantage of an already existant ruleset (spells components), and using them in advantage.

As for your specific example, Arcana checks aren't used for spellcasting, spellcasting has its own rules. Managing ethereal storms would fall under spellcasting, unless you are in the ethereal plane (in which I would allow an Arcana check to manage the storm against the martial). Even more, I could allow a Very Difficult arcana check, then expend a spell slot, and then renounce to half the movement and both hands to do something like what you said without being in the ethereal plane (I usually allow improvising with existing spells with arcana checks).

But Athletics are used for attacks, I've specifically quoted when. And they can function as a model of how to do something like that. That's why I've proposed to be two successive Athletics checks, with both free hands as an option, and at disadvantage. Choking someone isn't something fantastical, implausible or in the order of the supernatural, it is a very common way to fight; grabbing someone and shut the mouth is also something very common, both in fiction and reality. Saying that it is impossible... it is limiting a great deal the fighters, denying things that they really aren't all that difficult, while pumping the casters by ignoring the components rules.

Of course, as I've said, if you come with a better way to do it, one you think it is more balanced, I'll be glad to hear them.

Satyrn

First Post
Where are the wizard's minions* while he's getting choked out by the fighter?

*minions; bodyguards; allies; whatever

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads