• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dealing with spellcasters as a martial

Jaelommiss

First Post
If my fighter can sufficiently collapse a wizard's trachea to stop air passing through it, is there any reason I couldn't rotate my grip an inch to the right and block off his carotid arteries? Why stop verbal components where a mere contested Strength (Athletics) check at disadvantage will render my opponent unconscious within seconds? I might dip into rogue for expertise and take a level of barbarian so I can use rage to gain advantage on the check, but this is all fair because it's an improvised action with disadvantage, right?

It's really too bad that the game's designers didn't think to introduce a mechanic to to simplify and represent a character's capacity to avoid being incapacitated by hostile actions...

Erechel

Explorer
If my fighter can sufficiently collapse a wizard's trachea to stop air passing through it, is there any reason I couldn't rotate my grip an inch to the right and block off his carotid arteries? Why stop verbal components where a mere contested Strength (Athletics) check at disadvantage will render my opponent unconscious within seconds? I might dip into rogue for expertise and take a level of barbarian so I can use rage to gain advantage on the check, but this is all fair because it's an improvised action with disadvantage, right?

It's really too bad that the game's designers didn't think to introduce a mechanic to to simplify and represent a character's capacity to avoid being incapacitated by hostile actions...
FACEPALM. Yes. There are already rules for damage. There are there: unarmed attacks. "I want to rotate my grip to block his carotid arteries" "Make an unarmed attack". There you have.

You are making a strawman. Also, as I've said countless times before the uproar and indignation, A DM ASSIGNS THE CHECK, TYPE OF ACTION AND DIFFICULTY. And you aren't incapacitating ANYONE. Is a grapple, it ends whenever the other escapes, and it has many, many ways to escape: EG, when you are incapacitated, when the grapple is over, when the druid shapeshifts into a crocodile, when you are shoved, when you fail in the Athletics contest, etc.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I use the following tactic: knock, grapple, choke. Choke isn't an action described on any manual, but it could be considered both as an attack and as a grapple. Succesfuly choking someone should silence and suffocate it, doing minimal (disarmed) damage. My DM usually considers it as a grapple at disadvantage (as it is more specific).
3.x had a specific rule for grappling casters: while grappled the caster had to make a Concentration check to cast, prior eds you couldn't cast while grappling, at all - 4e grab just kept you from moving, so you could cast just fine (though casting a ranged or area attack in melee provoked).
5e has no such specific rule, so it's up to the DM whether grappling can impede casting at all. Your DM seems to think so, and you should just count yourself lucky and try not to abuse the privilege, lest he start ruling otherwise.

FACEPALM. Yes. There are already rules for damage.
Yep, 0 hps, you're incapacitated. That's why Hold Person uses the exact same kind of hp-based mechanics as Sleep.

Last edited:

Erechel

Explorer
3.x had a specific rule for grappling casters: while grappled the caster had to make a Concentration check to cast, prior eds you couldn't cast while grappling, at all - 4e grab just kept you from moving, so you could cast just fine (though casting a ranged or area attack in melee provoked).
5e has no such specific rule, so it's up to the DM whether grappling can impede casting at all. Your DM seems to think so, and you should just count yourself lucky and try not to abuse the privilege, lest he start ruling otherwise.

I'm a DM. In fact, my actual DM was a player in a campaign I've run. I allow characters to attempt anything, and assign a difficulty based on, well, difficulty. A grappled creature can cast, if it is not further impeded. As I've said before, the choke requires actually two grapples: a normal one first, and a second one at disadvantage. Two contests, instead of one. And even then, it is only a temporary measure.

Thank you. I was going to say, there's already a metric in place for your ability to incapacitate someone, and that's Hit Points. There is no "I win" action. You can't make one action to completely shut someone down by choking them, for the same reason you can't make one action to completely shut someone down by killing them (or just knocking them unconscious). Even if you were to make that action with disadvantage.

And you aren't incapacitating ANYONE. Is a grapple, it ends whenever the other escapes, and it has many, many ways to escape: EG, when you are incapacitated, when the grapple is over, when the druid shapeshifts into a crocodile, when you are shoved, when you fail in the Athletics contest, etc.
There are rules for grappling, and they specifically don't shut anyone down from doing anything, except from moving away. They can still swing a greatsword while grappled, or cast a spell. You can't take a single action and shut someone down from doing their thing. Even if you were to make that action with disadvantage.

Any given DM is free to rule otherwise, of course, but a DM who adjudicates improvised actions in such a way that they invalidate existing rules is not a very good DM. Why would anyone bother doing things that the rules describe, when they can get so much more by weaseling it past the DM? And at that point, why even have codified rules at all, if nobody is going to use them? I can't imagine that such a game would last very long.

In any case, "The rules don't codify any options, so the DM will figure it out," does not actually address the issue of how a martial should approach dealing with a spellcaster within the rules; any given ad-hoc adjudication is only valid at that one specific table, and doesn't apply to any other table.

TheSword

Legend
It’s rare, Erechel, but I think five pages of posters are fairly uniformly against a grapple style action being allowed to stop a spellcaster speaking.

It’s tricky for me because I like to say yes as a dm if you were grappling a guard and wanted to stop him shouting for help using your other hand and a second grapple at disadvantage to cover his mouth sounds like a good improvised action. Of course a guard is stronger, probably proficient in athletics and probably can’t cast spells. The problem is it has such a disproportionate effect on what are a key component of the game... spellcasters.

I’d probably rule that you can cover their mouth but they can still chant the words even if you’re covering their mouth. As I said with concentration.

I’m not sure you’re gonna change hearts and minds with this one Erechel.

Of course. And as a DM, I also do that. But he someway thinks is best to overrun us with many foes and do about 30/40 damage per round. As the frontliner of my group, it is usually me who protect my casters to be stomped. The monk also does some frontline job.

IMO too much realistic tactics kill gameplay.
The choke attack don’t exist because we wants caster to use their spell.
Smart tactics are smart because we play in a close system. Once you start using choking on caster, caster cannot train himself to cast without verbal or somatic.

Erechel

Explorer
It’s rare, Erechel, but I think five pages of posters are fairly uniformly against a grapple style action being allowed to stop a spellcaster speaking.

It’s tricky for me because I like to say yes as a dm if you were grappling a guard and wanted to stop him shouting for help using your other hand and a second grapple at disadvantage to cover his mouth sounds like a good improvised action. Of course a guard is stronger, probably proficient in athletics and probably can’t cast spells. The problem is it has such a disproportionate effect on what are a key component of the game... spellcasters.

I’d probably rule that you can cover their mouth but they can still chant the words even if you’re covering their mouth. As I said with concentration.

I’m not sure you’re gonna change hearts and minds with this one Erechel.
It isn't rare, but I think you nailed it. As it affects spellcasters more than anyone else, an otherwise perfectly reasonable tactic becomes taboo. It kills a sacred cow: the effectiveness of spellcasters.

It doesn't matter than a heavy armored cleric or paladin would be perfectly able to escape, so as a druid shapeshifting, or that a bard with expertise on Acrobatics is probably immune to this.

It doesn't matter that it actually isn't against the rules, or that takes several attacks, or that it is a contest.

It doesn't matter also that it isn't an auto kill, nor its result guaranteed, and that only maintains as long as the fighter renounces to the use of at least one hand and wins every attempt to escape (if it were a problem of balance, you could actually propose an alternative: the grappler need both hands to maintain the grapple, thus renouncing to make any attack)

It doesn't matter that it is something that actually points at rules usually ignored, like the verbal components needed to cast spells. Why do even bother with said rules if you are not going to give them any actual impact. They are fluff only.

It doesn't matter than the attempt is legit and the DM can assign a check and difficulty (even a very hard one). And that the rules explicitly say that improvised actions, and contests are allowed because the rules can't take account every possible outcome.

It doesn't matter that casters have many, many ways to disable a fighter without dropping them to 0 hit points, via spells like fear, charms, telekinesis, etc, and at a safe distance.

It doesn't matter that the caster could theoretically do anything else with its action, like performing an attack, wildshape, maintain Concentration, a shove, using an object, using a magic item, attempt to escape, and that isn't restraint in any other way: they only can't speak and their speed is 0.

It doesn't matter that it is only effective as long as you have proficiency in Athletics and high strength, and that is usually a not that common in many, many builds, like the vast majority of rogues and rangers, and at least half the fighters.

It doesn't matter balance. It doesn't matter anything I could theoretically say.

No. It becomes taboo because affects spellcasters, wizards more than anyone else. Because it is open to anyone to try to affect spellcasters, and that they have to take precautions to avoid being close to fighters, or invest on Acrobatics. It is denied on principle.

Then you have all kinds of absurd claims, like this is akin to one-shoting wizards instead of forcing them to take sub-optimal actions. Absurd claims like "grapple doesn't work like that""it goes against the. Rules", that didn't even acknowledge that the grapple is a mean to an end.

Don't bother. My post, that was intended to share means to counter casters, both as player and as DM, quickly degenerated in a discussion about playstyles, without any people actually coming with any experience on the subject to improve this, denying any other experience that I could have. And I'm tired to argue about that. I'm tired to have to clarify the same things once and again, only to new people pointing the same missreads. I don't intend to change your hearts about them.

Rhenny

Adventurer
If a grapple and choke maneuver that silences a caster is too easy, every fighter would use it every time he/she encounters a spellcaster. Nobody would play wizards anymore and all the NPC wizards would be killed by fighters and intelligent monsters.

In one game I ran, I allowed a 3rd level fighter to try to grapple and restrain (two different attacks on two different rounds) a higher level wizard. While grappled, the wizard shot off a Lightning bolt and hit two PCs (I think one went down failing a save and nearly got toasted), but the fighter held on (barely). Then when restrained another PC was able to gag the wizard. Even that was too easy, but at least the wizard had a chance. If it works too often, it just feels like cheating.

As a wizard player, I'd quit if often when I try to cast, a creature or NPC prevents me from doing it.

Tony Vargas

Legend
No. It becomes taboo because affects spellcasters, wizards more than anyone else. Because it is open to anyone to try to affect spellcasters, and that they have to take precautions to avoid being close to fighters, or invest on Acrobatics. It is denied on principle.
So, back in the day, a lot of things affected spellcasters, magic-users particularly, more than anyone else - and not just because of those d4 HD. Being in melee, for instance, was a risky proposition, if you tried to cast in melee, your spell might be interrupted - if you were hit well casting, it was automatic - what made it particularly risky was that the rules that resolved whether you were interrupted were in the DMG, they were not exactly intuitive, and they were to be found in two separate sections that weren't exactly in perfect agreement, so the first time you tried to cast in melee with a given DM, you had no idea what was going to happen... ;)
The limitations on V & S components were pretty severe, too. You needed both hands to perform S components, for instance, and you couldn't be moving at speed, on a mount or 'unstable surface,' flying, or quite a lot of other things - you certainly couldn't be wrestling! You needed to be able to speak clearly for V components, no mumbling spells through a gag - even being temporarily deafened gave you a spell failure chance, intoning a spell was that precise that you needed to be able to hear yourself, or you could mess it up.

As much as 3e reduced and simplified all that, casting provoked, and taking damage or being grappled forced a concentration check.

Now people are getting defensive over a caster being grappled, beaten on not one but two contested checks, maybe not getting to cast?

My inner grognard can't help it:

Kids these days...

Remove ads