• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Death from Above" attack bonuses?

MarauderX

Explorer
First, a Death-from-Above is where you leap down onto your opponent, trying to crush or stab someone while knocking them prone, much like a Bull Rush. Uses could be jumping from a balcony onto unsuspecting opponents or from on top of a wall that you may have been climbing in order to get a sneak attack.

I have used a Death-from-Above move in one campaign several times now, and all I ever received for bonuses was +1 for being on higher ground. No bonuses for flanking (as the PC has not been directly behind the defender) or any other such modifiers to attack, and it kinda sucks that there isn't something else for doing a 'special' move like this. Not only that, it would seem possible to do extra damage with gravity on your side to inflict a blow, but nothing in the rules says anything about it that I could find.

Is there something that I am missing, or is this situation where the DM would have to house rule that a move like that would have extra bonuses to attack/damage?

Darklone

Different situation, similar problem. My lvl3 barbarian sneaks up to another lvl4 fighter (not easier to hit, because he's heavily armoured) and wants to knock him unconscious or kill him. But how can you do that? You can't, only rogues can do it.

Face it.

In your situation: You would do better to drop on him. My Eagle shaman (druid) wildshaped into eagle form still plans to drop on someone to the everlasting fear of my DM.

I'll take falling damage, the other guy gets my falling damage plus the damage for my weight.

Last edited:

drnuncheon

Explorer
You ought to get a 'charge' bonus - I certainly would give you one.

FFG's Path of the Sword has, among its many other excellent bits, an expanded section of acrobatic combat maneuvers, one of which is exactly what you describe. It basically lets you do subdual damage (presumably 'boot to the head') and get a free trip attack at +4. You can even target multiple people, or leap into a grapple instead of a trip.

J

LokiDR

First Post
MarauderX said:
Is there something that I am missing, or is this situation where the DM would have to house rule that a move like that would have extra bonuses to attack/damage?
Play much Battletech? Just wondering :)

A few implementations that fit in the rules (more or less):

Falling damage: you jump on them and take falling damage. They take a similar amount of damage. You both have to make reflex save or fall. You should get a circumstance bonus for doing this intentionally. You may also be able to make a jump and/or tumble check to take less damage while still inflicting full damage on the target.

Charging strike: You make a normal attack, +1 for higher ground, +2 for "charging" (hey, you must be going pretty fast), -2 AC for the round. Make normal jump/tumble/reflex rolls to determine falling damage and if you are prone after your jump. This would work as a bull-rush as well.

Dive: A flying creature that chooses to can dive down and deal double damage. Once you jump, you are essentially a semi-guided flying object. There should be some sort of minimum fall distance, like 10 or 20' to make it work.

If you are doing a Battletech "death from above" the falling damage probably works best. If you are trying to be a dragoon from final fantasy, you should go for the dive. If you doing the movie "jump off the balcony into the guy below you" I think the charge option works best.

MarauderX

Explorer
Re: Re: "Death from Above" attack bonuses?

LokiDR said:

Play much Battletech? Just wondering :)

How'd you guess, with my sign-on name and everything? :)

LokiDR said:

A few implementations that fit in the rules (more or less):

Falling damage: you jump on them and take falling damage. They take a similar amount of damage. You both have to make reflex save or fall. You should get a circumstance bonus for doing this intentionally. You may also be able to make a jump and/or tumble check to take less damage while still inflicting full damage on the target.

Charging strike: You make a normal attack, +1 for higher ground, +2 for "charging" (hey, you must be going pretty fast), -2 AC for the round. Make normal jump/tumble/reflex rolls to determine falling damage and if you are prone after your jump. This would work as a bull-rush as well.

Dive: A flying creature that chooses to can dive down and deal double damage. Once you jump, you are essentially a semi-guided flying object. There should be some sort of minimum fall distance, like 10 or 20' to make it work.

If you are doing a Battletech "death from above" the falling damage probably works best. If you are trying to be a dragoon from final fantasy, you should go for the dive. If you doing the movie "jump off the balcony into the guy below you" I think the charge option works best.

This is good stuff, thanks for the many 'options' that I can run by our DM to see what he may like to use (or won't like to use) and perhaps even try them like the Phoenix Hawk I wanna be... I mean flying monk...;) :D

Fenes 2

First Post
The Sword and Fist 3.0E Duelist has a special ability called "acrobatic attack", which requires to leap at or down on an opponent for +2 attack/damage.

LokiDR

First Post
Fenes 2 said:
The Sword and Fist 3.0E Duelist has a special ability called "acrobatic attack", which requires to leap at or down on an opponent for +2 attack/damage.

Two problems: that is a specific class feature and you don't really have to jump down on them. A good jumb check works if you on the same plane as they are. Death from above implies jumping from a cliff, balcony, or with jump jets :D

LokiDR

First Post
Re: Re: Re: "Death from Above" attack bonuses?

MarauderX said:
How'd you guess, with my sign-on name and everything? :)
I never noticed that. I think I have always been distracted by your avatar. :)

MarauderX said:
This is good stuff, thanks for the many 'options' that I can run by our DM to see what he may like to use (or won't like to use) and perhaps even try them like the Phoenix Hawk I wanna be... I mean flying monk...;) :D
Phoenix Hawk would be a good name for a druid in general :) The thing to remeber when you pose this to your DM is that your character is subject to falling damage one way or another. No slow fall or feather falling to the target. Land badly, you get hurt. That is what makes the tatic cool but not over powered (and more likely to be accepted).

So, when are you getting your jump jets, I mean ring of jumping? :)

Last edited:

Caliban

Rules Monkey
If you land on him, I would make your falling damage subdual (being cushioned by his body), while he takes falling damage, plus an extra d6 for every 200 lbs you weigh.

I'd also have a check to see if one or both of you are prone. (Perhaps each one of you get's a free trip attack against the other.)

Last edited:

MarauderX

Explorer
Re: Re: Re: Re: "Death from Above" attack bonuses?

LokiDR said:

I never noticed that. I think I have always been distracted by your avatar. :)

Phoenix Hawk would be a good name for a druid in general :) The thing to remeber when you pose this to your DM is that your character is subject to falling damage one way or another. No slow fall or feather falling to the target. Land badly, you get hurt. That is what makes the tatic cool but not over powered (and more likely to be accepted).

So, when are you getting your jump jets, I mean ring of jumping? :)

I wish I had the tonnage available to get the JJs, but as it stands I would have to give up weaponry and armor to get it, so not anytime soon....:D Too bad I can't apply all damage to the head... ;) :D

Anyway, I will keep what you said in mind, with the objective of keeping it balanced so as not to be too crushing whenever the opportunity arises.

Caliban, I'm not sure about the extra d6 for each 200 lbs, it would make me want to grab the nearest sack of potatoes or disabled armored NPC next to him before jumping. I like the subdual effect though, it would add that dimension of doing a drop-kick and not paying a high damage penalty. I think the check to see who is prone would have to apply to both on a hit and just my PC on a miss. I will confer with my DM and see what he says about the whole issue.

Remove ads