• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Death of a Hero...

Well, one of the my players (I'm the GM ) had a character killed tonight. It was actually a pretty heroic death, all things considered. I feel kind of bad about it nonetheless. It was not just one thing that killed him, but several things in combination.

Here's what happened: the group was on the plane of Pandemonium tracking down the last of four former chaos lords. The fourth was a renegade who had never renounced his status- and he had a pet Half-White Dragon/Retriever demon. The group was around 10th level- 6 Player characters and two Cohorts.

They had just battled past a few encounters with Driders guards and Howlers, and sealed themselves off from the Howler pack behind a porticullis gate. The third of three sudden pandemonium windstorms hit them then (see the Manual of the Planes) and the group paused to heal and re-orgnize themselves before continuing. I went ahead and let them heal-

Gregor (one of the heroes- a 10th level Ranger) opted to let the cleric heal a few other characters instead of himself.

This is when the Chaos lord Mulcibere appeared in an illusion, along with his (real) retriever/half-dragon pet.

The party had a brief conversation with the chaos lord which I used to drop clues for later and allow for some negotiation. However, I was cut a little short when the dwarven paladin in the group got a little boisterous. We roleplayed it out and ended with Mulcibere saying something like "Icefang! (the name of the retriever pet) Destroy them all and bring the Paladin to me. ...Alive. "

So the illusion of Mulcibere winked out and the battle began against the retriever/half-dragon.

Here's where they went wrong.

The party was too cautious. They wasted a few rounds with delaying tactics (summoned creatures, which I allow) and buffing
each other. Gregor and another fighter named Brede were the last delaying tactic- they charged in to give the retriever something to fight while the cleric, paladin, temple-raider and spellsword got ready. The druid and bard hung back.

The retriever picked up Gregor around the waist with it's mandibles (and improved grab), and shrugged off a series of attacks by the fighter. Gregor hacked away as he was being squeezed horribly. The cleric got off a holy smite which I ruled blinded the retriever for one round.

Two rounds later though, the retriever opened his eye of flame and roasted Gregor horribly (a 12d6 attack!). Later that same round the paladin and fighter managed to deal a destroying blow
to the creature, but it was too late. Gregor had taken 45 points of damage and he had only 32 left. He was at -13.

We created a little memorial, and you can see Gregor's last entry at http://the-never.net/molesfork/blogger.html

Last edited:

wbmcdermott

First Post
Retrievers are SO NASTY. I had a ruthless DM (I won't name names, but his initials were Dave Noonan) who sent several Retrievers after us (luckily just one at a time).

At one point, we had one retriever on the run, but our sorcerer(who was already low on hit points got caught a little too close to another character). Dave had the retriever use its Fire eye on the nearby character, doing 12d6 damage (no save) to that character, which I believe knocked him unconscious, and doing 12d6 (with a save) to the sorcerer who was within 5 feet. I swear to this day that he knew the 20 damage would be enough to kill the sorcerer outright (he, of course, denies it), but we were used to this kind of game. We lost characters on average about once out of every 3 or 4 sessions.

Man, I hate retrievers.

Sabre

MutantHamster

First Post
Big Deal! Characters die in my campaigns all the time. THe other day, a half elven ranger died in the first session of a campaign (killed by a giant space hamster, courtesy of the creature catalouge)

novyet

First Post
Truly a wonderful memorial to the fallen Gregor. And I like how death seems to be final in your campaign. Very Cool.

No Resurrections!

I am against resurrections!

Truthfully, I have a player in our group who expects a lot of 1st edition stuff like resurrections to be routine, and if they pushed the issue I'd allow the group to vote on it. Luckily, though, most of the group agrees with me- that a heroes death would be diminished by just bringing people back over and over again.

As far as the relative levels of the Chaos Lords- this is a very story-oriented campaign, so I set them up so that they were always decent opponents to the group as they rise in levels.

The first of the four Chaos Lieutenants- the earth lord- was actually only CR 6- he was a boosted mummy that the players took on when they were around 4th-5th level back in February. The second - the water-lord- was actually an 8th level elven sorcerer who had been trapped inside a miniaturized bottled city (like Kandor!) that was actually a demiplane in itself (the players miniaturized to go in and track him down. )

The fire lord was actually two forms- she started out as an 8th wizard/4th fire elemental savant- and once she was killed she rose like a phoenix as a huge fire elemental. (check out the pictures from this battle- it's the third gallery: http://www.arrakis.homeip.net/gallery/molesfork )

The last guy--the wind-lord-- is actually a Frost-Giant/Half-Fiend with a couple of barbarian levels.

Then there's the final Chaos Lord- Lord Slith. Once they battle him, the campaign is over. :)

Xarlen

First Post
Um... How can you have a Half Dragon Retriever? A retriever is a Construct. I Really don't want to think about a dragon trying to breed that. o_O

Grazzt

Demon Lord
MutantHamster said:
Big Deal! Characters die in my campaigns all the time. THe other day, a half elven ranger died in the first session of a campaign (killed by a giant space hamster, courtesy of the creature catalouge)

Sweet! Glad we could help out! :D

I can have a half-dragon retriever because.. I'm the DM!

Seriously. I realized it was unusual. It's sort of a fantasy cyborg. It was described as having 'gossamer wings of blood and ice'.

In my version of Pandemonium, the elemental, the living, and the unliving mix in profane ways.

Remove ads