D&D 5E Death Saves & Pop-Up Healing

OptionalRule

Adventurer
By eliminating those features with house rules? Maybe "dismiss" was the wrong word. Sacrifice?
I have no idea what you're on about and if you want to make a dismissive claim like that, particularly about ALL replies, you probably should back that up in some way. I haven't read every single house rule here but no house rule I'm reading here invalidates combat healing or creates a death spiral. The only thing that MIGHT do that is the exhaustion rule but you don't immediately start become less effective in combat and if that rule starts to create a death spiral, you might want to look at your design and why it's putting players down so frequently.

Last edited:

I have no idea what you're on about and if you want to make a dismissive claim like that, particularly about ALL replies, you probably should back that up in some way. I haven't read every single house rule here but no house rule I'm reading here invalidates combat healing or creates a death spiral.
Wow. I honestly don't get the hostility. Incidentally, I wasn't talking about the house rules "invalidating" in-combat healing -- I was suggesting they incentivize or even require it. In the current system, you don't need a dedicated healer who does little else in combat other than heal to offset incoming damage. That's a feature, for me.

The most common house rule involves imposing a level of exhaustion at 0 hp. This both incentivizes dedicated healers and creates a death spiral: ability checks are at disadvantage, speed is halved, attack rolls and saving throws are at disadvantage, etc. In other words, being reduced to 0 hp reduces your combat effectiveness even after you're healed, which increases the likelihood that you'll be reduced to 0 hp again, which...etc.

Yaarel

He Mage
It's a perennial problem with 5E. There's no lasting consequences of nearly dying. There's a lot of interesting house rules to solve the problem. This might just be one more to add to the pile, but I think it works well and solves a few problems without drastically changing much. There are changes to RAW, yes, but they're minor, I think. And the changes happen to solve a lot of related issues, I think.

So here goes...

Hit Points. When you reach 0 hit points, you continue fighting as normal, but you must make a death saving throw. Any damage you suffer while at 0 hit points automatically triggers a death saving throw.

Death Saving Throws. Roll a d20. If the roll is 10 or higher, you succeed. Otherwise, you fail. When you fail a death saving throw, you drop to 0 hit points and die.

This keeps characters on their feet and fighting longer (players get to keep playing the game), but risks outright death on a failed death save. No more pop-up healing as healing someone for one hit point because a pointless thing to do rather than the single most optimal thing to do.

If you wanted to make things even more deadly, you could introduce massive damage (more than 1/2 max hp) triggering a death save...or critical hits triggering a death save (hence the wording of the death save).
Regarding the original post, inflict an enduring wound, each time a player character reaches zero hit points. Use the Exhaustion table and rules, but pick which level effect, depending on the kind of the injury. For example, Exhaustion level 1 might instead incur disadvantage to ability checks because of a concussion.

The increasing Exhaustion levels will disincentivize the tactic of springing up from zero hit points.

Also, failing all death saves, might instead result in a permanent loss of the use of a limb or similar (DMs discretion), depending on the nature of the injury. Thus saves are for both "life and limb".

Last edited:

OptionalRule

Adventurer
Wow. I honestly don't get the hostility. Incidentally, I wasn't talking about the house rules "invalidating" in-combat healing -- I was suggesting they incentivize or even require it. In the current system, you don't need a dedicated healer who does little else in combat other than heal to offset incoming damage. That's a feature, for me.

The most common house rule involves imposing a level of exhaustion at 0 hp. This both incentivizes dedicated healers and creates a death spiral: ability checks are at disadvantage, speed is halved, attack rolls and saving throws are at disadvantage, etc. In other words, being reduced to 0 hp reduces your combat effectiveness even after you're healed, which increases the likelihood that you'll be reduced to 0 hp again, which...etc.
Maybe some (read: all) of your reply came off as passive aggressive and combative?

You're bundling up all the effects of exhaustion into a single line. All that doesn't happen with a single level and you don't enter a death spiral just by going down once. You don't suffer significant combat effects until 3 levels of exhaustion so again, if you're going down that often in combat, you probably want to look at your design.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Regarding the original post, inflict an enduring wound, each time a player character reaches zero hit points. Use the Exhaustion table and rules, but pick which level effect, depending on the kind of the injury. For example, Exhaustion level 1 might instead incur disadvantage to ability checks because of a concussion.

The increasing Exhaustion levels will disincentivize the tactic of springing up from zero hit points.

Also, failing all death saves, might instead result in a permanent loss of the use of a limb or similar (DMs discretion), depending on the nature of the injury. Thus saves are for both "life and limb".
Huh. I kinda like the seed if that. Combining death save fails with exhaustion and a lingering wound. Gives the death save something that’s in fiction to hang on. Maybe the death save and exhaustion are linked in that they clear with resting but the lingering wound stays. You don’t regrow a hand simply because you slept for 8 hours.

Maybe some (read: all) of your reply came off as passive aggressive and combative?
Huh, I didn't intend it that way, but sorry about that.

You're bundling up all the effects of exhaustion into a single line. All that doesn't happen with a single level and you don't enter a death spiral just by going down once. You don't suffer significant combat effects until 3 levels of exhaustion so again, if you're going down that often in combat, you probably want to look at your design.
You enter the death spiral with the first level of exhaustion, unless you never make ability checks in combat. Worse, it carries over from one battle to the next, unless you get a high-level healing spell or a long rest. Worse still, it's not even simply a death spiral so much as a suck spiral, as it makes you worse at everything out of combat as well.

For the record, I tried an exhaustion house rule in the first campaign I ran in 5e. I didn't like it, for the reasons I've mentioned. I'm also old (school) and can be happy-as-a-clam playing "dead at 0." I'm not a zealot about any of this, and certainly don't mean to be combative. I simply meant to highlight some of the implications and dynamics of the current system that I consider features of the design and that are lost in the house rules.

I came to the conclusion that what I don't like about the current system is the whack-a-mole aesthetic of characters repeatedly being knocked unconscious and falling down, only to pop back up and keep fighting when the healing word comes in. So I fixed that part and left the features of the design intact.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Huh, I didn't intend it that way, but sorry about that.

You enter the death spiral with the first level of exhaustion, unless you never make ability checks in combat. Worse, it carries over from one battle to the next, unless you get a high-level healing spell or a long rest. Worse still, it's not even simply a death spiral so much as a suck spiral, as it makes you worse at everything out of combat as well.

For the record, I tried an exhaustion house rule in the first campaign I ran in 5e. I didn't like it, for the reasons I've mentioned. I'm also old (school) and can be happy-as-a-clam playing "dead at 0." I'm not a zealot about any of this, and certainly don't mean to be combative. I simply meant to highlight some of the implications and dynamics of the current system that I consider features of the design and that are lost in the house rules.

I came to the conclusion that what I don't like about the current system is the whack-a-mole aesthetic of characters repeatedly being knocked unconscious and falling down, only to pop back up and keep fighting when the healing word comes in. So I fixed that part and left the features of the design intact.
Some people want the game to be about unbelievable fantasy superheroes who never get a scratch that matters, others want the game to have some verisimilitude. If you're on the ground dying, you're not going to be perfectly fine and combat ready less than six seconds later. For it to not feel like a video game, it needs to have some kind of negative thing happen when you drop to zero that doesn't instantly go away the second you're no longer at zero. The suggestion of having exhaustion accumulate but not take effect until the current combat is over is a good one, I think. So if you drop to zero and pop back up say...six times, you're dead...either instantly or once the combat is done. If you have 1-5 exhaustion and you intentionally get into a fight...that's entirely on you as a player.

Yaarel

He Mage
Huh. I kinda like the seed if that. Combining death save fails with exhaustion and a lingering wound. Gives the death save something that’s in fiction to hang on. Maybe the death save and exhaustion are linked in that they clear with resting but the lingering wound stays. You don’t regrow a hand simply because you slept for 8 hours.
Yeah.

For me, the lingering wound always leaves a scar of some kind.

Similarly, the loss of a limb (instead of death) doesnt grow back by itself!

Finally, D&D has a way to represent a broken bone. Leg break reduces speed, and arm break has additional consequences.

I am toying with enduring injuries being Exhaustion levels that require about a week (2d6 days), and about seven months (2d6 months), to be able to remove, depending on how many death saves the character failed. This would more accurately reflect a reallife healing process. But I havent decided on this kind of time table yet.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I wouldn't read into it more than is there. This is a D&D message board. Folks here are going to be more inclined than the average player to fiddle with the rules.

I've considered house ruling it myself, but out of the three groups I play with I'm the only person who has. Let's not conflate mole hills with mountains.
I wouldn't downplay the severity either , PHB197 is a disaster of design by or for munchkin that the whole system is warped to support making fixing it more difficult than just "do it like in $oldVersion or $otherGame" because the system doesn't have the support(healing/defense/etc damage soak) for other options & is built with things like healing word multiple 1hp heal abilities etc to support that disaster of design. It's made worse because 7(?) years in wotc is still acting like anyone who has a problem with the ways of the one true munchkin style of gameplay is some kind of killergm who wants badwrongfun & should stop traumatizing poor innocent players rather than have even a bad UA to support them. Yes it had good intentions in addressing rough edges in old ways, but the result is that a naked 8 con wizard with a few levels of exhaustion is as sturdy as wolverine when faced with violence

Remove ads