• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

December: What are you reading?

Blastin

First Post
House of Leaves....I LOVED that book. A friend of mine actually called me in the middle of the night to tell me he couldn't sleep after I lent it to him;)

Darkwolf71 said:
I'm finally around to reading World War Z. I've been putting it off because I was incredibly disappointed with The Zombie Survival Guide, and have had a very critical opinion of Max Brooks since. I have to say, I am pleasantly surprised. I am enjoying WWZ quite a lot.

Still reading House of Leaves. It's an amazing book, but it's very unorthodox style makes it a complicated read and I don't have the time to focus on it as much as it deserves.

I picked up a new copy of Starship Troopers, and will likely read that after I finish WWZ.

And as always I am reading several REH and HPL stories at any given time.

BadMojo

First Post
Just started Erik Scott de Bie's "Depths of Madness" last night. I've only read a few chapters so far, but I'm having a hard time understanding why it got some of the poor reviews I saw on Amazon.com.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Just picked up Double Eagle, Dan Abnett's WH40k air war book (in itself a spinoff from his Gaunt's Ghosts series). Darn good, too; he does a very good job describing air combat. It synergizes well with the Transformers score, strangely.

Brad

Tolen Mar

First Post
I'm going to expand on my current reads, since I realised that I wasn't reading only one...

Okay, about a third of the way through 'The Eagle's Brood' by Jack Whyte. I'm concerned about the amount of time it covers. It started when Merlyn and Uther were 8 years old, and now they are in their twenties. Since there are more volumes in the tale, I'm wondering about it... Great read so far though.

Okay, and at night I'm reading 'Rincewind the Wizzard' to my son before bed. Its a compilation of 4 discworld novels 'The colour of magic', 'Eric,' 'Sourcery', and one other, I forget which right now. He's enjoying it, I'm enjoying re-reading it. Great stuff.

Then there is "Screenplay: The Foundations of Screenwriting" by Syd Field. I mentioned a couple of months ago how a few friends and I plan on starting a film company, so boning up on the basics seemed a good idea.

On the gaming front, I am reading "Federation and Empire", the campaign game version of Star Fleet Battles. I've gotten my son to play SFB with me some of late, and I thought it might be time to set up a campaign. See if we can give some of the battles more importance than just smashing ships against each other.

Also, "Traveller: The New Era." Our RPG group switched to Megatraveller a couple of weeks ago, but wanted me (as GM) to look into TNE. I like the rules better, they seem more coherent, but I'm going to use the Megatraveller setting. I like the Imperium much better than what I've read of the Reformation Coalition.

Then there is "Knightfall", a Megatraveller adventure/mini campaign. It was what I was going to run before the subject of TNE came up.

The trick is going to be finishing the library books before they are due, and the various gaming books before our group reconvenes after the holidays.

Whew...

EricNoah

Adventurer
Boy am I scattered. I'm still in the middle of three books I was in the middle of last month ... and the month before. Haven't been doing much reading recently I guess. But for some reading while I'm traveling/visiting relatives I also grabbed some non-fiction reading -- A Tragic History of the Sea: Shipwrecks from the Bible to Titanic, and What Life Was Like Amid Splendor and Intrigue: Byzantine Empire, AD 330-1453.

Tim Waggoner's Forge of the Mindslayers

First Eberron novel I am enjoying. Simple but with a plot and a lot of off the wall humor. So far we have a Lich, a Barghest and a vampire involved in a curse between two competeing coastal town with an an ex-assassin cleric of the Silver Flame and three very disfunctional allies.

Good enough I'm looking for book one and book three arrives in Feb.

Pozatronic

First Post
Son_of_Thunder said:
I'm trying to bull my way through The Last Light of the Sun by Mr. Kay but I think I'm missing the 'boat' (pun intended) as it's not an engaging read for me.

Hmmm. I'm sorry to hear that. I've read all his work, except for Ysabel. Last Light of the Sun is my favorite right next to Tigana. All though it doesn't quite have the heroicyepicyness of some of other stuff. Is that the problem you have with it?

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Just finished Pratchett's ''Making Money" and now I'm on Patricia Brigg's "Raven's Shadow". Some very interesting ideas here that I will be stealing for my next campaign where they might fit. I'll be getting the sequel unless she horribly bungles it before the ending. I've liked everything else of hers that I've read, though, so that should not be a problem. After that, "Captain's Fury", by Butcher.

Asmo

First Post
Finished Robin Hobb´s "The Soldier Son" trilogy a while back. After reading Hobb I need some time to digest her writings, it´s so full of emotions and interesting thoughts.

I can´t help it,but if you haven´t read Hobb before, you really need to that :)

Soldier Son takes place in a new world with new characters, far from the world described in the Assassin and the Tawny Man books.

It deals with the second son of a second son - destined to be a mounted warrior, to ride into combat, win glory on the battlefield, then marry rich and retire when all the good deeds are done.

Hobb writes with such passion that´s impossible not to be swept away: her characters are truly alive and her attention to details are as always stunning.
Her world is alive,filled with small miracles that makes you smile while turning the next page.

If you want to read something else,something without shining swords and mighty magic - in the D&D sense - I can´t recommend Hobb enough.

Asmo

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads