• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Deciding your PC race.

Gryph

First Post
Some of both really.

If I have a strong character concept then I choose the race to fit the concept, even at the cost of an "optimal" class/race combo. Sometimes, though, I'm playing a character to fill out the party, a healer say, and then I'll pick a race that works well with the class. Since I'm not real attached to the character in this scenario, I may as well be as effective as possible.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
Character concept, for sure. But then, I'm also just not very good at optimizing. Also, I'm not sure I've ever played any D&D race other than human, dwarf or gnome.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
In 2e, I invariably picked Half-Elf because it offered the most (and often the best) multi-classing options.

In 3e, I pick the race that goes with my concept.

In 4e, I generally pick the race that mechanically suits the class, though I don't always optimize.

Swedish Chef

Adventurer
For me, race and class have always gone hand in hand.

In 1e/2e, I usually played a thief. Almost always it was elven or half elven, as those races provided the best bonuses.

In 3e, the design of the game allowed for more/better combinations. With the inherent bonuses per race, and the increase in stats every 4 levels, it is much easier to try newer concepts that may not necessarily be the "most optimized" in terms of race and class. But that's what make the game more enjoyable for me.

I've played a halfling ranger with 1st favoured enemy being Humans. I've played a low dex/low int dwarf barbarian that still managed to be wise in life. Human necromancer that took Evocation and Divination as his prohibited schools.

I find that I can make a broader choice of classes and races that I couldn't before. And I enjoy that freedom.

I've not played 4e, so have no comment on that aspect.

SSquirrel

Explorer
Once I know what the race and class lim,its are for the game, then I tend to start thinking about what class I want. Race comes next an as I pick stats and skills, the character starts developing in my mind. Since at least 2nd Ed, I've always kept bonuses in mind. I mean, if you could play a Minotaur Fighter in 2E and yr DM gave 1 auto-18 to you, it was a no brainer to go w/a 20 strength. Halflings slaughtered everyone else at Thief skills, etc.

Even in 1 shots I'll usually still tend to optimize, b/c that is part of how I have my fun. If I do go off-type, I tend to correct w/feats and power selection to make up for the difference. Since the addition of the flexible stats in 4E, the options you have available are a lot better. I mean sure, you might pick a race that doesn't' have a bonus to his main stat, but you can throw an 18 there and look, he got a +2 to both his secondary and tertiary stats. That is never a bad thing.

Really off-type stuff is usually more of a 1 shot kind of thing for me. I roll really poorly, so not optimizing really hurts :) If I'm going to play something like a Goliath Psion w/no stat bonuses to anything used by the class, I either would a)play something else or b)only do so for a very short game.

As far as halfling barbarians go, they actually make pretty good barbarians. Charisma and dex are both useful stats and the feat support halflings have is great. Very defensively minded, which lets you just wade right in. I'm playing a Halfling Daggermaster Rogue and even tho he's an Artful Dodger, my DM says I play him like a Brutal Rogue instead. He just doesn't consider other that much of a threat to him generally and he's a bit of a loose cannon, charging across the battle field and all. Loads of fun.

Remove ads