D&D General Deck of Many Things rerelease fixed (or not?)

Starmaster

Explorer
A few copies of the "fixed" Deck of Many Things have been popping up on Amazon since it's release Jan 5th, but they keep selling out for a while and then popping up again and selling out again. So far there is only one review posted (dated Jan 7th), and it is far from flattering. The reviewer says the cards are damaged and badly warped, and he includes photos. Hopefully this dude just got a single bad copy and they aren't all going to be like that. But, just in case they are all bad, there is still hope . . . If WotC has forgotten how to manufacture cards correctly, they can always sign a contract with Bicycle to make the cards for them. Bicycle has been making playing cards since the 1800s and I haven't gotten a bad deck from them yet.

A few copies of the "fixed" Deck of Many Things have been popping up on Amazon since it's release Jan 5th, but they keep selling out for a while and then popping up again and selling out again. So far there is only one review posted (dated Jan 7th), and it is far from flattering. The reviewer says the cards are damaged and badly warped, and he includes photos. Hopefully this dude just got a single bad copy and they aren't all going to be like that. But, just in case they are all bad, there is still hope . . . If WotC has forgotten how to manufacture cards correctly, they can always sign a contract with Bicycle to make the cards for them. Bicycle has been making playing cards since the 1800s and I haven't gotten a bad deck from them yet.
A few people in the other thread have gotten copies and no one has mentioned any issues https://www.enworld.org/threads/a-look-at-the-new-deck-of-many-things.701014/

As what that review is saying, since it heavily resembles the original issue, I suspect, like @Whizbang Dustyboots, that they're using the pre-recall version.

R_J_K75

Legend
they can always sign a contract with Bicycle to make the cards for them. Bicycle has been making playing cards since the 1800s and I haven't gotten a bad deck from them yet.
I just bought a box of (12) decks of Maverick playing cards of Amazon about two months ago. They only cost $12-$15 iirc and the reviews were great. When I got them, they were useless, extremely hard to shuffle, deal and hold and sort in your hand. I picked up two decks of Bicycles from Rite-Aid and they cost almost as much as the Mavericks but 1000% better. So, I agree with others that Amazon reviews aren't to be trusted in many cases. As a matter of fact, I saw a segment on the Today Show a few years back that investigated and found that a good portion of reviews on Amazon are fake, and reviewers are paid by some sellers for positive or negative reviews to either hype their own products or dissuade people from buying any others than theirs. It's a business in and of itself.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I would not trust Amzon reviews of WotC Products. There are enough of people with bad blood against WotC that they get review bombed. Happened with 4e books too.
The bigger issue is that a large percentage of Amazon reviewers are morons, who want to review the delivery driver, the packaging for an item, a completely different item that they got confused with a given listing, some political issue that has no apparent connection to the pasta maker they're giving a one-star review to, etc.

"People are mad at WotC and out to get them" is a rounding error in comparison.

Remove ads