D&D 5E Deconstructing 5e: Typical Wealth by Level

S'mon

Legend
Yeah right. The fantasy of the perfect DM.

As if the DMG hoard rules and official campaigns doesn't exist, and doesn't showers characters in items...

Never really seen 5e pcs get much in the way of items from official 5e adventures or hoard rolls. The good stuff comes almost entirely from tailored quests and commission/purchase.

S'mon

Legend
Power creep is not new. It is not unique to 3E.

Arguing rational magic item pricing is the cause is straw-clutching at best.

3e did not have rational magic item pricing - exhibit A being the wand of clw, but there are thousands more - so it could not have caused anything.

CapnZapp

Legend
3e did not have rational magic item pricing - exhibit A being the wand of clw, but there are thousands more - so it could not have caused anything.
Just a comment:

Obviously my hope and expectation for 5E was an IMPROVED system, building on all the experience accumulated during 3Es run.

That the original system had weaknesses is not in question. That wands of CLW was a poor idea is not in question.

Not in my wildest dreams, however, did I imagine WotC would just give up.

S'mon

Legend
Just a comment:

Obviously my hope and expectation for 5E was an IMPROVED system, building on all the experience accumulated during 3Es run.

That the original system had weaknesses is not in question. That wands of CLW was a poor idea is not in question.

I think with 4e they took that approach as far as it could reasonably go. Then 5e was a big reaction against 4e, including 4e balanced item buying as part of PC building. So they did not give up after 3e - the 4e system was very well balanced, but in consequence many found it dull.

I would guess Pathfinder 2 might be closer to what you want. 5e approach to magic was a reaction against what you want.

Oofta

Legend
Just a comment:

Meh. It's easy to come up with costs and without a price list the assumption that you need and can easily purchase items is gone. I'm sure we could come up with a list of other things they "gave up on" because it's not in the current version.

clearstream

(He, Him)
Thanks so much for the work.

I've used your data to help me convert RotRL to 5e. Though I must say I expected the values to be much lower.
I feel the same way. I've been applying a rule of halving the tier 2 values, halving again (quartering) the tier 3, and again (one eighth) the tier 4. The following image is snipped from my "campaign pacing" Excel sheet; you can see my assumptions about costs for revivals and training. My two-year campaign saw characters reaching level 16, and using this system they had enough coin to retire among the nobility for a couple of decades without further income, or to build a small castle, abbey or temple.

Wealth per level.PNG

Per day is per adventuring day, which could span a lengthier calendar period.

Hussar

Legend
Power creep is not new. It is not unique to 3E.

Arguing rational magic item pricing is the cause is straw-clutching at best.

I dunno. 4e and 5e have both largely avoided it entirely. One by embracing the magic item economy and presuming that it was part of character growth. The other by divorcing the game entirely from magic items as a measure of character growth.

Simply repeating non sequitors isn’t a counter argument. How do you explain the power creep of 3e modules? Particularly considering that 3e is the only edition where you see it so clearly.

CapnZapp

Legend
I think with 4e they took that approach as far as it could reasonably go. Then 5e was a big reaction against 4e, including 4e balanced item buying as part of PC building. So they did not give up after 3e - the 4e system was very well balanced, but in consequence many found it dull.

I would guess Pathfinder 2 might be closer to what you want. 5e approach to magic was a reaction against what you want.
What I want is 3e continued in 5e, since otherwise there is no uptime answer to gold.

And I definitely don't want to remove gold.

I definitely agree 4e items were a trainwreck of dullness. I just don't see why that disaster got anything to do with this.

Remove ads