• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Deep Gnome with no character levels?

EverSoar

First Post
I want to start the campaign at lvl 3.
And a player wants to be a deep gnome.
Thats fine

But he won't have any class lvls,

how does that work?
does he get the skills of the race?

the hitpoints of that race?
Whats the deal?

hong

WotC's bitch
Start the game at 4th level. This will allow a 1 HD, ECL +3 race to have at least one class level as required by the rules.

Alternatively, start the gnome off as a 1st level commoner. No class abilities, d4 hp and no good saves may make it not a particularly fun experience for the gnome's player, though.

Mr Fidgit

First Post
one of things discussed in my group (for a half-dragon) was this:

start the PC with an apprentice level in his or her chosen class (DMG pg 40)

if you look at the ECL chart in FR (pg 21), you'll see that technically a svirfneblin with no levels has 3000 experience points (again, 'technically'),

make the PC earn 3000 exp (to get to a total of 6000) to go to 1st level,

then progress the PC normally

hammymchamham

First Post
I would do one of three things, but take your pick

A: If starting at level X (in your case 3), bar any ELC X or higher. Only allow ELC X-1 or lower

B: My DM changed deep gnome to ECL +2 for me (I don't know why, but he did)

C: Aprentice level. If the deep gnome was a rogue (for example), he would get BAB +0 F/R/W 0/1/0, rogue weapon and armor profeciencies, 6+con modifier HP, 8+int modifier for skills, and a 1st level feat.

When the deep gnome had enough XP to be a 4th level charecter, he would have 1 class level, and gain the rest of the rogues abilities: +1 to reflex, sneak attack 1d6

D. Start at 4th level.

Personally, I'd offer C if they wanted to play a deep gnome (mostly cause I like them a lot), cause I personally wouldn't raise the starting level of the group.

the Jester

Legend
Pretty much all the humanoids with one HD in the MM are statted out as 1st-level warriors. There's no such thing as a 0-level character in 3e.

Those skills a gnome gets are their first level skills.

Gez

First Post
the Jester said:
There's no such thing as a 0-level character in 3e.

Although there is 1/2-level characters, the aforementionned apprentice.

The apprentice rule is intended for multiclassed characters (so one can be, apprentice cleric/apprentice rogue at first level), but I think it make sense for single class apprentice also (for example, a children could be made with this rule).

As an apprentice character, he would get the skill points, HD, and a bit of the base save and possibly attack score.

Remove ads