WOIN Defense Cap

Greetings, I am back with yet another question that I wish to obtain some clarification regarding.

Regarding defense
In WOIN O.L.D 1.2, page 67:
"If the final score is less than 10, increase it to 10. Your Defense score is capped by your maximum dice pool. Multiply your maximum dice pool by 4; your Defense scores cannot exceed this number."

I can see in an old thread:
that back then the cap didn't cover size and exploit.

So how does that function in 1.2? Because now it does mention size, but it does not mention exploits as far as I can read.
And is it applicable to N.O.W and N.E.W?

Thank you all for taking the time to read and potentially answer my question.
Kind regards
-Kall

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I have a sticky thread about how dice pool caps apply here:

Does that also count when the Defence specifically states the "Multiply your maximum dice pool by 4; your Defense scores cannot exceed this number." "
Or are the exploits applied after this sentence?

Last edited:

Len

Prodigal Member
It's confusing because there are two separate caps. First you make a dice pool, which is subject to the normal cap for dice pools, then you convert the dice pool to a static number, then adjust for size, shield, armour, and finally that result is capped by 4 times max dice pool.

That last part, the limit of 4 times max dice pool, is not mentioned in N.O.W. or N.E.W. which is another thing that confuses me.

Sorry I can't answer your question, Martin. I think I need some clarification too. :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The 4 times dice pool applies to the original dice pool. It's the average (just above) roll of that dice pool.

So to specify completely, the cap "Multiply your maximum dice pool by 4; your Defense scores cannot exceed this number. "
Only covers:
Attribute+Gear(Quality)+Skill+Size.

And then once that is capped (grade x4) Exploits are add.

So theoretically one could have a Mental Defence of 29 at Grade 5 by having reached the Cap of 20(by attributes and skills), and then having Strong Mind (which is a career exploit, that gives +4 Mental Defence) as well as Unshakeable faith. (+5 Mental Defence)?

If I am understanding you correctly?

Indeed, and I do apologise, it was a Random example to illustrate my question. I could also have used one exploit in the example.
Also, is it applicable in N.O.W and N.E.W as well?

Thank you for elaborating as you have.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yep, there are no unique rules or exceptions for different genres -- they all apply universally.

Remove ads