• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Define some genres

arscott

First Post
someone had a thread describing a cthulhu/supers game, but I lost the link in the server move.

Ancient gods living modern day lives, a la Neil Gaiman's Amercian Gods, would make a great campaign.

JPL

Adventurer
MYTHOLOGICAL DUSTBOWL

Magic and myth in the 1930s South. Carnivale, The Green Mile, and O Brother Where Art Thou.

Doug McCrae said:
FANG SHUI

Vampire: The Masquerade meets Feng Shui.
I thought you meant Feng Shui, the decorating style. Vampires meet Trading Spaces. You have one night (and only one night) to redecorate you neighbor's coffin.

I missed this thread the first time around but as I was reading I kept wanting to add ... The Musical! to each of the genres. I've always wanted to make a game system where "combat" turned into a song and dance number but I have never found a good way to simulate this with dice. :)

CarlZog

Explorer
Grim Tropics

Grim Tropics.

South Florida. The world of Carl Hiassen and John D. MacDonald -- the underbelly of paradise -- with a little Dark Matter thrown in. Played in d20 Modern, Spycraft or Alternity.

This is where homeless drifters fleeing northern winters mingle with dictators fleeing Caribbean revolutions.

Drug smugglers and modern pirates wage war under the weary, but watchful, eye of government agents.

Itinerant boat bums and opportunistic beach bimbos ride the coattails of tropical luxury -- always ready for the next rich sucker to come along.

Immigrants from the islands beckon the unseen forces of voodoo and santeria to the sweltering urban sprawl.

Modern treasure hunters comb the reefs for spanish galleons, while on the shore white-collar scam artists are filling their own chests.

This is where everybody is from somewhere else, and nobody really cares.

But surrounding them all is the deep water of the Bermuda Triangle, waiting for its secrets to be revealed.....

Mallus

Legend
I just thought of two (related) genres...

Steamcrunk hip-hop + liquor + booty-shakin' + industrial dystopia (Victorian England). sample character: L'il Jonathan.

Cybercrunk hip-hop + liquor + booty-shakin' + post-industrial dystopia (Atlanta 2050AD). sample character: L'il Tron.

CarlZog

Explorer
Joshua Dyal said:
CarlZog; that only works for me if Sonny Crocket and Ricardo Tubbs are involved. :cool:

And a themesong by Jan Hammer.

I guess there's no way around that. If you lived in Miami in the 80s, the impact Vice had the town and the culture was pretty unbelievable. Talk about life imitating art....

JPL

Adventurer
Mallus said:
I just thought of two (related) genres...

Steamcrunk hip-hop + liquor + booty-shakin' + industrial dystopia (Victorian England). sample character: L'il Jonathan.

Cybercrunk hip-hop + liquor + booty-shakin' + post-industrial dystopia (Atlanta 2050AD). sample character: L'il Tron.

Very interesting. I don't know much about crunk per se*, but let me propose

CRUNK FU
Martial arts meets urban / hip hop. Def Jam Vendetta, Wu Tang Clan, Ghost Dog, The Last Dragon, Cradle 2 Grave, Romeo Must Die.

* Probably the first use of the phrase "crunk per se."

Last edited:

JPL

Adventurer
Joshua Dyal said:
Doesn't that genre already exist in the form of several really bad movies, though?

True*, but then a lot of the ideas on this thread are more about applying a name to something that's already out there. TWEENSPY**, for example.

*Although I thought Romeo Must Die was alright.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads