Defining a decade with a song: 1970s

Torm

Explorer
Crothian said:
like Asia, Journey
Both 80s, except Journey had one minor hit that topped out at #16 in '79. ("Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'") Try The Knack, The Eagles, or Fleetwood Mac. :p

When I think non-disco 70s, it's more about "Easy Listening", like "You Light Up My Life" by Debby Boone, or "Killing Me Softly" by Roberta Flack, or "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head" by B.J. Thomas.

reveal

Adventurer
Torm said:
Both 80s, except Journey had one minor hit that topped out at #16 in '79. ("Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'") Try The Knack, The Eagles, or Fleetwood Mac. :p

When I think non-disco 70s, it's more about "Easy Listening", like "You Light Up My Life" by Debby Boone, or "Killing Me Softly" by Roberta Flack, or "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head" by B.J. Thomas.

Or, my personal favorite, anything by Jim Croce. Bad Bad Leroy Brown, Operator, Time in a Bottle, etc. :)

Mystery Man

First Post
Don't forget Peter Frampton, Lynrd Skynrd (Freebird, Sweet Home Alabama), Van Halen (How many kids wanted to play Eruption?), Led Zepplin (Stairway To freakin' Heaven man!), Elton John. The list is long. The 70's was really a pretty good decade for music though its pretty sad that the first thing that pops into many minds is the platform shoes and bellbottom craptacular disco scene.

Torm

Explorer
Mystery Man said:
The 70's was really a pretty good decade for music though its pretty sad that the first thing that pops into many minds is the platform shoes and bellbottom craptacular disco scene.
I don't think THAT is the shame - rather, I think it is that people automatically add adjectives like "craptacular" TO that scene. I quite like "Ring My Bell", "Stayin' Alive", "Dancin' Queen", "YMCA", "Disco Duck", and others, and I don't really see that the associated cultural artifacts are any more ridiculous than the wearing your clothes backwards, baby bottles and pacifiers on chains around the neck, ripping the knees out of perfectly good jeans, or (especially) wearing your pants halfway down your hips that have been associated with any other musical era.

Mystery Man

First Post
Torm said:
I don't think THAT is the shame - rather, I think it is that people automatically add adjectives like "craptacular" TO that scene. I quite like "Ring My Bell", "Stayin' Alive", "Dancin' Queen", "YMCA", "Disco Duck", and others, and I don't really see that the associated cultural artifacts are any more ridiculous than the wearing your clothes backwards, baby bottles and pacifiers on chains around the neck, ripping the knees out of perfectly good jeans, or (especially) wearing your pants halfway down your hips that have been associated with any other musical era.

There was a LOT better going on musically than the CRAPTACULAR disco (I remember it well) thing.

A lot of kids look like they've escaped from some group home nowadays.:)

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
Mystery Man said:
Don't forget Peter Frampton, Lynrd Skynrd (Freebird, Sweet Home Alabama), Van Halen (How many kids wanted to play Eruption?), Led Zepplin (Stairway To freakin' Heaven man!), Elton John. The list is long. The 70's was really a pretty good decade for music though its pretty sad that the first thing that pops into many minds is the platform shoes and bellbottom craptacular disco scene.

I miss my Levi's bell bottoms. A lot.

kenobi65

First Post
I'm changing my vote.

"Star Wars", the disco version by Meco. And, not just the 4-minute cut they played on the radio; it's gotta be the full 15-minute version from the LP.

It combines the two things that I remember most from the '70s: Star Wars and disco. ;) :D

reveal

Adventurer
kenobi65 said:
I'm changing my vote.

"Star Wars", the disco version by Meco. And, not just the 4-minute cut they played on the radio; it's gotta be the full 15-minute version from the LP.

It combines the two things that I remember most from the '70s: Star Wars and disco. ;) :D

Is it too late to change my vote too? ;)

Remove ads