Defining a decade with a song: 1970s

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
kenobi65 said:
I'm changing my vote.

"Star Wars", the disco version by Meco. And, not just the 4-minute cut they played on the radio; it's gotta be the full 15-minute version from the LP.

It combines the two things that I remember most from the '70s: Star Wars and disco. ;) :D

I had that on an 8 track tape. Egad.

IronWolf

blank
Crothian said:
Don McLean's song "American Pie"

I think I have to agree with Crothian here. There really was a lot of great music from the 70's, much of it already listed here. But I think this one would be the one I would choose...

Mystery Man said:
The 70's was really a pretty good decade for music though its pretty sad that the first thing that pops into many minds is the platform shoes and bellbottom craptacular disco scene.
Huh. I'd characterize most of the rest of it as craptacular, and put disco up as a "fun in a cheezy way" kinda scene, that mercifully saves the decade from being a complete musical disaster.

Then again, the vanguard of some actually good music was started in the 70s, folks like Throbbing Gristle, Kraftwerk, Roxy Music, etc. But that type of music didn't really get moving until 79 or 80 and beyond.

Ranger REG

Explorer
In the 70's? Too busy watching Sesame Street. Only caught a little bit of disco, but my records at that time are Spider-Man and Superman audiorecording on vinyl.

That and my "Looney Tunes" album record that include:
"They're coming to Take Me Away (Ha ha)"
"Little Red Riding Hood (You Sure are Lookin' Good)"
"Hello Mudda, Hello Fudda"

R-E-S-P-E-C-T works for me.

As does any number of songs by the Funk Mob: Parliament; Funkadelic; Parliament Funkadelic; Bootsie Collins and his Rubber Band and so forth.

I had to choose one I think I'd go with Funkentelechy Vs. The Placebo Syndrome, it's not necessarilly the best but it's certainly the most representative of the era in my mind.

That or Dollar Bill.

diaglo

Adventurer
kenobi65 said:
I'm changing my vote.

"Star Wars", the disco version by Meco. And, not just the 4-minute cut they played on the radio; it's gotta be the full 15-minute version from the LP.

It combines the two things that I remember most from the '70s: Star Wars and disco. ;) :D
sweet.

Remove ads