Definitely enjoying Red Dead Online! Would I likely also enjoy Grand Theft Auto Online?

Goodsport

Explorer
For those here who've played both Red Dead Online and Grand Theft Auto Online: If I'm enjoying the former, would it be worth it for me to purchase the latter or is it too different of a game in theme and playability?

I suppose that I'm old-fashioned as I prefer to play as the good guy (or at least as a good guy) and try my hardest to do that in RDO. Would I be successful in GTAO if I held firm to that or is criminality the way of the world there?

Finally, if I do end up buying GTAO, should I buy it for the PC or the PS4 Pro? While playing MMO's with keyboard & mouse is usually easier for me than with a controller, I've also fallen in love with playing RDO in 4K on my PS4 Pro (whereas my PC monitor is still only 1080p and I can't afford to upgrade it to 4K anytime soon).

Thanks in advance. :)

-G

Are you really talking about only the Online part? That I don't know enough to say. I am not even sure what you actually do in there, if there is really any meaningful story-type decisions to make. I only briefly tried it and stopped.

The story of the latest GTA involves you playing Trevor Phillips, and he's not a good guy and there is a particular mission that might the breaking point for you. IIRC, the characters were basically designed to appeal to(or represent) specifically to certain gamer stereotypes, and Trevor is basically the one that appeals to people that enjoy murder and mayhem and see how dark the game lets them go. I didn't like playing him much, but he is part of the overall game story. I mean, it's still just pixels, so you can get through it, but you won't come out feeling like a do-gooder.

For those here who've played both Red Dead Online and Grand Theft Auto Online: If I'm enjoying the former, would it be worth it for me to purchase the latter or is it too different of a game in theme and playability?

I suppose that I'm old-fashioned as I prefer to play as the good guy (or at least as a good guy) and try my hardest to do that in RDO. Would I be successful in GTAO if I held firm to that or is criminality the way of the world there?

Finally, if I do end up buying GTAO, should I buy it for the PC or the PS4 Pro? While playing MMO's with keyboard & mouse is usually easier for me than with a controller, I've also fallen in love with playing RDO in 4K on my PS4 Pro (whereas my PC monitor is still only 1080p and I can't afford to upgrade it to 4K anytime soon).

Thanks in advance. :)

-G

Well, there isn't a clear cut bad guy/good guy dynamic in GTAO, it's shades of grey maybe. Unless you call grifers bad guys, but the game has anti-grifer systems in place more or less. You do different missions or jobs or heist to make money to buy stuff. There's no real story line. Here's a guide that's recent GTA Online beginners guide – everything you need to know to get started in GTA Online

I'd suggest you go with PS4,since you're used to RDO on it and i'm fairly sure that the controls are the same or close to it. I play on my Xbox One.
I posted this in the hive thread, but this happened to me a few nights ago

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I dunno about the online version, but the single player campaign has some pretty bad bits. One mandatory mission you have to torture somebody tied to a chair to get information. You play three characters, two of which are kinda OK anti-heroes and one of which is a full-blown psychopath.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
In terms of online, its functionally the same idea. In fact RDR Online is a western themed successor to GTA Online.

Slit518

Adventurer

If you're getting the game just for online, get it on PS4 Pro.

GTA is set in modern day for the year it came out.

in GTA Online you can drive fast cars, run people over, shoot people, etc...

For activities, you can make money in several ways.

Sometimes it is as simple as dropping off packages, other times you may have to shoot NPCs.

Some players may ignore you, others may blow up the whole lobby with whatever mega powered vehicle they have with explosives.

GTA Online has a plethora of stuff to do though, since the game is well over 5 years old - compared to Red Dead Online which is less than a year old.

GTA Online also has mini games, such as racing, death matches, team death matches, etc.
You can even create your own races/missions for the online.

The only thing I didn't like about GTA Online is that the animals are not a part of the online world like they are in single player.

Remove ads