Deities & Demigods - Web Enhancement - Error in Break down of the Beggar god

Cyberon

First Post
I have been reading the deities & demigod book, and also the web-enhancement, and i just cannot understand how the differenet versions of the beggar god in the web-enhancement gains those extra ability points, and at the last point there seems to be small differences between the feats he has, and what i can calculate from the rules.
Follow these numbers:
Okay these are his basic stats.
Divine Rank: 0, Rogue 1
Str: 28, Dex: 40, Con: 24, Int: 25, Wis: 24, Cha: 24
Feats: 2 (1 Human, 1 for character level)

Next he goes up to divine rank 1, increase his character level to 2. No rules seem to suggest any increase of ability points, yet he gets 1 point in Dex.
Divine Rank: 1, Rogue 1, Fighter 1
Str: 28, Dex: 41, Con: 24, Int: 25, Wis: 24, Cha: 24
Feats: 3 (1 Human, 1 for character level, 1 Fighter bonus feat)

Next he goes up to divine rank 6, increase his character level to 10. The rules would then award him with 2 extra ability points due to his character level increase, yet he gets a total of 5 points. +4 Str, +1 Dex
Divine Rank: 6, Rogue 5, Fighter 5
Str: 32, Dex: 42, Con: 24, Int: 25, Wis: 24, Cha: 24
Feats: 8 (1 Human, 4 for character level, 3 Fighter bonus feat)

Next he goes up to divine rank 11, increase his character level to 20. The rules would then award him with 3 extra ability points due to his character level increase, yet he gets a total of 5 points. +5 Cha
Divine Rank: 11, Rogue 10, Fighter 10
Str: 32, Dex: 42, Con: 24, Int: 25, Wis: 24, Cha: 29
Feats: 13 (7 for character level, 6 Fighter bonus feat) i guess they forgot one feat for his intial human beginnings.

Next he goes up to divine rank 16, increase his character level to 40. Now this is where i become lost, i cannot find anything giving him extra ability points. yet he gets a total of 5 points. +4 Dex, +1 Wis i guess it is the 20 extra character levels that gives these 5 points.
Divine Rank: 16, Rogue 20, Fighter 20
Str: 32, Dex: 46, Con: 24, Int: 25, Wis: 25, Cha: 29
Feats: 27 (7 for character level, 11 Fighter bonus feat, 1 for human, now heres is where my calculations also get lost. Where do the last 8 come from?, they come from the last 20 character levels, but i can only get it to 7 feats (21,24,27,30,33,36,39)

Help, can anyone explain me what to me seems to be difference between rules and actual description. Have i gotten anything wrong.. Can any of you break down the Beggar god according to the rules.

Last edited:

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
I think the philosphy behind the book was, lets give each God ablity scores that seem appropriate for what they are, and the myths surrounding them.

In other word, I don't think there were any rules, just pulled outta thin air.

Cyberon

First Post
But they are more or less stating that they finaly have gods broken down according to the rules.
And now when i break down the different increases that happens i cannot seem to match them to the rules.
Maybe someone could do a similar breakdown and point out any mistakes i have done.

Crothian

First Post
Well, some people have therized that each Dive Rank also grants +1 to an ability score. It still doesn't work out quite right, but it is closer.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Many of the gods (most, but not all) follow this formula in the DDG book:

ability score points: 24 (base) + 21 points (randomly assigned) + divine rank (assigned randomly again) + ability score points for class levels.

Cyberon

First Post
Let us follow that strain of thoughts.. Every Divine Rank gives +1 Ability point.
---
Added
Okay his base ability scores follow that formula, and his ability increases also follow that formula, but his character classes are still missing in his stats as he grows more powerfull. And i can't seem to get the feats to match.
---
These are still the basics.
Feats: 2 (1 Human, 1 for character level)

Next he goes up to divine rank 1, increase his character level to 2. 1 Point for his Divine Rank, this fits with the +1 Dex.

Next he goes up to divine rank 6, increase his character level to 10. The rules would then award him with 2 extra ability points due to his character level increase, and 5 points for his divine rank, not we are 2 short. +4 Str, +1 Dex

Next he goes up to divine rank 11, increase his character level to 20. The rules would then award him with 3 extra ability points due to his character level increase, and another 5 points for divine rank, again we are now 3 short. +5 Cha

Next he goes up to divine rank 16, increase his character level to 40. Now this is where i become lost, i cannot find anything giving him extra ability points, but again 5 for divine rank. +4 Dex, +1 Wis. hmmm a pattern is emerging.

This is interessting:
The increase in ability points match his increase in Divine ranks.
But now none of the level increases described have any effect.
So now we have another problem. The beggar god is described as an outsider, yet he obviously is a 0 level outsider (se that no outsider hit dices are mentioned, thus only his classes counts as character class. So as long as we keep ourselves below 20 Character levels. I can follow the rules:
Character level 20: (Rogue: 10, Fighter 10), Divine Rank: 11
He should have 5 Ability increases, 14 feats (7 feats for class level, 6 Fighter bonus feats, and 1 feat for being human in the beginning)
Instead he got 11 Ability increases, 13 feats.
Something is completly wrong.

Last edited:

James McMurray

First Post
Maybe he wasn't created at rank 0, level 1 and then advanced. Maybe he was created via seperate processes at each of his incarnations, in order to make him a good adversary or ally for characters of that power level?

Cyberon

First Post
Let us take some gods from the book:
Hathor (Page 145+146)
Divine Rank:8, Medium-Size 20 HD outsider.
Bard 20/Cleric 20
21 Feats
Str 26, Dex 29, Con 26, Int 29, Wis 30, Cha 43 (183 pts)
Okay the mentioned formula would give him 173 points. So we need to find 10 points. :)
Ability Increase for class: First 20 levels give him 5 points and so does the next 20. 10 Points found.
Feats: 5 Feats for being a 20 HD Outsider, 7 Feats for the first 20 Character levels, according to the sidebar on page 26 he then also gets 7 feats for the next 20 levels. 5+7+7 = 19 feats. I'm 2 feats short here. Did i calculate wrong here? Maybe every 3 Divine ranks gives 1 feat. If that is thrue it will match.

Imhotep (page 146-148)
Divine Rank:1, Medium-Size 0 HD outsider.
Expert 20
7 Feats
Str 24, Dex 24, Con 24, Int 43, Wis 31, Cha 25 (171 pts)
Okay the mentioned formula would give him 166 points. So we need to find 5 points. :)
Ability Increase for class: 20 levels give him 5 points. 5 Points found.
Feats: 7 Feats for the first 20 Character levels. He fits but as an ascended human shouldn't he have 1 more for being human once.

Isis (page 148-149)
Divine Rank:17, Medium-Size 20 HD outsider.
Wizard 20/Cleric 20
25 Feats
Str 28, Dex 30, Con 29, Int 44, Wis 32, Cha 30 (193 pts)
Okay the mentioned formula would give him 182 points. So we need to find 11 points. :)
Ability Increase for class: First 20 levels give him 5 points and so does the next 20. 10 Points found. One short... Artistic freedom.
Feats: 5 Feats for being a 20 HD Outsider, 7 Feats for the first 20 Character levels, according to the sidebar on page 26 he then also gets 7 feats for the next 20 levels. 5+7+7 = 19 feats. Then there are the 5 Bonus feats for being a Wizard, that brings us to 24 feats,I'm 1 feat short here. Did i calculate wrong here?

Basicly i think that there are some essential rules left out of the book. The most important is the Ability score rule. And basicly of the 3 gods only Imhotep fits the rules (not counting the human feat i would have given hi,), (unless i misunderstand them).

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Cursory overview seems to indicate that WotC forgot to include ability point increases for class levels.

If you break down the beggar god at each rank using this formula:

24 + 21 + divine rank = total ability points, it equals what it should. But, it does appear they have left out ability increases from class levels.

total: 165 = (24 x6) + 21

Should be 165.

Next he goes up to divine rank 1, increase his character level to 2.
Divine Rank: 1, Rogue 1, Fighter 1
Str: 28, Dex: 41, Con: 24, Int: 25, Wis: 24, Cha: 24

total: 166

Should be 166.

Divine Rank: 6, Rogue 5, Fighter 5
Str: 32, Dex: 42, Con: 24, Int: 25, Wis: 24, Cha: 24

total: 171

Should be 173 = (24 x 6) + 21 + 2 + 6

Divine Rank: 11, Rogue 10, Fighter 10
Str: 32, Dex: 42, Con: 24, Int: 25, Wis: 24, Cha: 29

total: 176

Should be 181= (24 x 6) + 21 + 5 (class levels) + 11