• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Delta Green: Countdown - PISCES, Army of the Third Eye, Shan advice

Wraith Form

Explorer
If you're familiar with any group from the topic line, maybe you could help me. This is my first adventure with two new CoC players. I've got a cool idea to bring my two players' investigators together, but I have to give a little background first. One investigator is a mafia thug (we'll name him Tony), the other's a cryptozoologist (I'll call him Chris). I'm breaking from the Countdown "canon" a bit to bring Lee Coleman (leader of the Army of the Third Eye) out of retirement and back to the US.

Just for fun, I gave the cryptozoologist, Chris, a mutated psionic power--specifically the ability to read/listen to and comprehend any language. (Chris has no idea where this ESPer power comes from, nor does he have much control over it.) Chris' grandfather was part of the shan/PISCES special project that bred human ESPers on the remote island mentioned in Countdown (sorry, I don't have the book available to give details). The grandfather escaped from the island, made his way to the US, lived underground for many years, and eventually had a kid--one of Chris' parents. Chris has never met his grandfather, nor does he know that the grandfather was a Talent. The ESPer bloodline, although very thin and weak in Chris, has manifested itself sporadically throughout Chris' life--he knows he HAS The Gift but can't use it "on command".

Meanwhile, PISCES has finally tracked the family to the US (through paranormal means, of course), and has sent a shan-controlled Brit PISCES agent to follow Chris to determine if he's showing any latent Talent abilities and how powerful they might be. If too powerful, the PISCES agent will attempt to "eliminate" Chris (heck, he might eliminate him just out of principle alone!).

To complicate issues, Lee Coleman (leader of the Army of the Third Eye) is following the Brit agent and waiting for an opportunity to trepan the agent to drive the shan out. Lee, posessing shan memories from the former parasite in his own brain, recognizes the Brit agent and has followed him onto the plane. Coleman has a burned DVD in his carry-on luggage, showing video footage of the Army of the Third Eye's activities (trapanation of shan-controlled PISCES members). Under Lee's jacket is a portable power-drill (he smuggled it on, don't ask me how--that's just what terrorists *DO*).

(Can you tell I watch a lot of Hitchcock?)

OK, begin the scene:

Tony, the mafioso thug (the second investigator) is traveling to Boston for a funeral. He's sitting at the window seat of his row. There are two total strangers next to him: a thin, geeky guy in the middle (Chris), and an utterly forgettable man in the isle seat (the Brit agent).

Chris hops on a plane headed from NY's Kennedy Airport to Boston (to investigate a strange cryptozological sighting). Chris has the middle seat on the plane; on his left--window seat--is a large, rather sinister looking Italian-American (Tony), and on his right--isle seat--sits an utterly forgettable man (the Brit agent).

The Brit agent strikes up 'meaningless airplane conversation' to get closer to Chris, while faking nervousness at flying in an attempt to lessen any suspicions Chris might have. The agent is so intent on following and observing Chris that he doesn't realize Lee Coleman is only a few seats up the plane from him, watching him like a hawk. In an incredibly "Usual Suspects" move, the agent comes up with an alias from various names and occupations he's seen on magazines in the seat flap ahead of him.

Coleman sits several seats ahead, in the opposite isle, and keeps looking back to determine when to trepan the Brit. He's gotta have sunlight to do this (see DG: Countdown for details), and it's a risky move to use a weapon on a plane in view of the current policies regarding terrorists. Coleman realizes what perceptions will look like, and is resigned enough to understand the seriousness of the situation--he'll probably go to jail for hijacking or terrorism after this stunt...but he doesn't care; he's obsessed with fighting the shans. (Besides, Coleman is more than a little....deranged.)

The plane takes off, with an hour flight from NY to Boston. The Brit engages Chris in casual conversation. Hopefully Tony will chime in as well. As the plane ascends above the cloud cover, sunlight falls brilliantly through the plane windows--and Coleman sees his opportunity, as the Brit appears distracted by conversation with the guy next to him (Chris).

Coleman approaches the Brit and makes his accusation, threatening to publicly expose the PISCES agent (err, actually, the shan inside!). The Brit fakes innocence. (I anticipate some player interaction here, too.) Coleman pulls his "weapon": a power drill. This is exactly the same time that one of the investigators will notice the magazines in the seat flaps in front of the agent, and realize that the Brit was lying about his identity. The players must chose whether to help Coleman restrain the Brit while he drills into the skull of the agent, or whether to help the Brit and restrain Coleman!

This should cause total chaos. (Is this X-Files enough for you yet?)

If it looks like the Brit's going to lose, he'll summon a dimensional shambler to help protect him. (I was going to use a byakhee--to fly the PISCES agent to the ground safely--but the rules suggest the "summon byakhee" spell occur at night.)

Are there any obvious and utterly illogical "holes" in the above, other than it's complexity? Yes, the flight attendants will inform the captain of a potential terrorist threat. Yes, the captain will radio the nearest flight control tower, requesting assistance. Yes, US Air Force jet fighters will "pace" the airliner in case it needs to be shot down. Yes, there will be a bucketload of Federal agents waiting for the plane when it lands, who will grab Coleman, or the PISCES agent, or both--depending on who's still alive. :D Yes, the investigators will be heavily interrogated by the Feds. All that stuff is in the "second act," when Delta Green makes it's appearance.

I've already warned them that this is an exceptionally "railroading" adventure, but it's only meant to get them to work together. Comments, criticisms, advice or suggestions???

Yellow Sign

Explorer
Humm, here are a few ideas.
1. Have Chris hear a disembodied voice speaking in a weird alien voice while he sits on the plane. No one else on the plane can hear it. It's the shan in the PICSES agent and because of Chris' talent he can hear and understand it. It could really be creepy.

2. Have Lee Coleman, hold the plane hostage with a machine gun and/or explosives. He then hands the power drill to Tony and Chris and tells them to trepan the PICSES agent or he will blow up/ shoot up the plane.

snak

First Post
The biggest problem I have in running DG is the immense amount of cool details and secrets I must sit upon quietly.

Remember less is more. Leading the players for whatever reason for extended periods of time leaves them as spectators, and bored spectators at that.

Couple of ideas.

Ditch the airplane and move to a zoo or museum where Chris is working. Realistically if Coleman doesn't have a gun or bomb people are going to rush him ala "let's roll." The reality of post 9/11 is that sceanrio spells certain doom to the passengers and some will act accordingly. Even is he does have a gun or bomb they might do the same.

For this scenario perhaps Chris is already a DG friendly or connected to one. He has some contacts for when things get weird. Perhaps he works at the Smithsonian or Museum of Natual history which links him to Dr. Jensen Wu, DG friendly.

The Brit tracks him there after hours. Coleman tracks the Brit. Hilarity ensues. Tony comes in to clean up as a 'favor.'

Or you could strap on the Dreamscape scenario. Chris, while unaware of his powers, is really good at some games of chance like poker. The Tortaglia family wants a piece of Chris or they already have a piece and want him protected by Tony.

Anyway I hope your game goes well. I really can't praise the depth of the Delta Green books enough.

Remove ads