Desert of Desolation - your experiences?

the Jester

Legend
I've both played and run these- they're great! Most recently, about 1-2 years ago, I played in a 3e conversion of it; it was great fun, though that's where my character picked up 'the Accursed' as a nickname after getting nailed by three separate curses at the same time!

He's never really recovered. :uhoh: :eek:

Quasqueton

First Post
I've "always" owned the first two in this series, but never played them. A few days ago, I got the third module. I decided to reread the whole series. It's been years since I originally read anything in them.

I've only read about half of the first module so far, but oh my god, it is horrible. So much about this module is horrible. Just some examples I can remember without it in my hands right now:

Monsters in the random monster charts don't have hit points listed. Just HD.

There is a group of about a dozen bandits with 2 HD. Half have only 2-4 hit points.

There is a maze with only one way in -- jumping into a burning brazier in the temple. The worshippers at the temple haven't figured out the brazier is a teleporter. But there are a couple dozen folks (non-worshippers) in the maze who had to come through the brazier.

There are wondering wizards, bandits, dopplegangers, etc. in this maze, but no explanation on how long they've been there, how they got there (past all the worshippers), or how they survive there. There are monsters in rooms in the maze, with no explanation of how they survive. There are areas in the maze where treasure is just sitting in the middle of the floor, apparently just abandoned and not found by anyone else.

In one area, a +1 warhammer just is lying in the middle of the floor. No monster, no trap, nothing but the warhammer on the floor. Another area has a +3 ring of protection, just lying there. Another has a bag of 510gp. Etc., etc., etc. WTF?! Just walk through the maze and pick up the treasure.

In many areas, there is ancient writing with hints and clues for the PCs. But for most all of them, there is a 30% to decipher the writing. Just a flat 30% chance, regardless of being a wizard with 18 Int or a dumb fighter. And it doesn't even say this is 30% for the whole party as a group, or for each individual trying to read it.

I don't think I ever read these modules cover to cover, because I never ran them in a game. I had only previously spot-read here and there. This first module at least, is absurd. All those of you who say this is a great module, are you smoking crack? Or just looking back through rose-colored glasses. I mean, this thing is outrageously bad. And I'm only half-way through the first module.

Edit: that "smoking crack" comment reads much harsher and in-your-face than I intended. Take it as surprise, not as confrontational.

Quasqueton

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
I'm thinking that when it came to "return to" modules, this one got passed up.

I5 is like one of my favorite modules ever. These adventures define "1e feel" to me more than White Plume Mountain or Tomb of Horrors.

Played in a 3.5 conversion. TPK (sort of) halfway through the second mod.

We killed something, and then went down a pit it had come out of. The pit led to the planes of Pandemonium (I think). Bye-bye party.

DarrenGMiller

First Post
I have it, but have not run it. I vaguely remember playing in a group that went through the original 3 adventures in the mid-80's, but only remember bits and pieces. I am hoping to run a 3.5 conversion at some point.

DM

Melan

Explorer
Quasqueton: some of us don't give a flying f damn about breaking the suspension of disbelief, and like "illogical" dungeons just fine. The thing about Pharaoh is: there are a whole lot of cool traps and memorable encounters in the module. It does play well (and I didn't run it in 1983 - I ran it in the late 90s). Those things you mentioned never bothered anyone in my group, partly because we play Dungeons&Dragons, not Elminster's Ecologies, and partly because most of the problems you mention are easily corrected. Also, there are a whole lot of absolutely awesome encounters in the adventure, like the battle with the M-U Munafik, the unearthing of the Efreet or that palm tree with the pineapples...

As for specific points --
Monsters in the random monster charts don't have hit points listed. Just HD.
Yeah, so what's the problem? Can't roll dice? ;) Seriously: I got myself a sheet of paper and rolled up hps for a bunch of critters before the game. Problem solved in ten minutes.

There is a group of about a dozen bandits with 2 HD. Half have only 2-4 hit points.
Like the PCs, the bandits could have encountered monsters previously.

There is a maze with only one way in -- jumping into a burning brazier in the temple. The worshippers at the temple haven't figured out the brazier is a teleporter. But there are a couple dozen folks (non-worshippers) in the maze who had to come through the brazier.

There are wondering wizards, bandits, dopplegangers, etc. in this maze, but no explanation on how long they've been there, how they got there (past all the worshippers), or how they survive there. There are monsters in rooms in the maze, with no explanation of how they survive. There are areas in the maze where treasure is just sitting in the middle of the floor, apparently just abandoned and not found by anyone else.
Yeah, that was a bit problematic. I treated the maze as a place of stasis - those who were lost would wander it For Ever(tm). Problem solved with an ominous twist. :] I placed the treasure in the side rooms and added a trap or two.

In many areas, there is ancient writing with hints and clues for the PCs. But for most all of them, there is a 30% to decipher the writing. Just a flat 30% chance, regardless of being a wizard with 18 Int or a dumb fighter. And it doesn't even say this is 30% for the whole party as a group, or for each individual trying to read it.
So assign it to a Read Languages check or Ancient History for Magic-Users (or 3e equivalents!). There, "DM fiat" solved another "game-breaking" problem in two freaking seconds.

To sum it up, the "problems" you mention are
a) not considered problematic for some people
b) easily corrected anyway.
Seriously, it is not like people in the early 1980s (or the late 70s, when the first, non-TSR edition of Pharaoh appeared) were too dumb to realize that the aforementioned bits are "not realistic" or whatever. They had different priorities, different interests and were more interested in improbable, even surreal adventures in exciting locations than crafting elaborate and "living, breathing" worlds. Also, modules weren't supposed to be the "whole deal". It was encouraged and expected of the DM to adapt and change the things he didn't find appropriate for his games. Moreover, the designers trusted the DM to be of sufficient competence to make those corrections.

Oh well, enough semi-coherent rambling, back to smoking crack, eh. :p

EricNoah

Adventurer
This is one of my favorites -- I've run at least one group through the first two of the three modules and it was incredibly fun. A very nice variety of things to do, places to go, people to see, monsters to kill, and tricks/traps to endure.

And I've used parts of the third in different homebrewed adventures.

Quasqueton

First Post
Moreover, the designers trusted the DM to be of sufficient competence to make those corrections.
In this case, I see it that the designers were sufficiently incompetent to require the DM to make major and numerous corrections.

And I'm not arguing that some folks couldn't or didn't have fun with them. What I'm talking about are these comments:
This module, and Ravenloft, cemented Tracy and Laura Hickman as two of the top Module Designers EVER, in my opinion.
...and mine as well.
I might even be so bold as to say this is the best designed module series of all time.
Module builders could learn a lot about how one goes about making a good setting/product by studying this series.
...it's a great!
Great set of adventures, and quite well designed.
the modules are both creative and well done.
These are not well designed. Not even close. The story/plot may have been interesting, and I think I may agree with that. But the execution and *adventure module* design is abyssmal. If I have to roll up hit points *for a published adventure*, someone was slack in design or editing. If I have to mark out free magic items that are just lying about in vacant rooms, someone was just stupid. If I have to come up with reasons for a major plot point (people wandering around in a maze for who knows how long), some designer wasn't doing his/her job.

Hey, I loved Keep on the Borderlands, but I'd never say it was an example of great adventure design.

Quasqueton

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases