Desert of Desolation - your experiences?

gizmo33

First Post
Quasqueton said:
So what everyone here is saying in defense of the module, is a good DM made up stuff to cover the irrationality of the encounters and/or good Players ignored the irrationality of the stuff they encountered and found.

IMO there's nothing irrational if a module has a tavern with 20 patrons in it and doesn't tell you the names and the backgrounds of each patron, or why they're there. It's a tavern, so it has patrons.

By the same token - it's a dungeon - so it has monsters. I don't know much about sphinxes (I consider the "ecology" articles about magical creatures like sphinxes to be as "irrational" as anything else). It's a thousand year old tomb with a curse on it and the presence of a gnome with a spoon is causing problems? It's a gnome!!! Now of course in 3E gnomes are just short humans with different colored mohawks, but in the "old school" way of thinking fantastic elements do not require scientific explanations. It's almost trivial to think of a reason why the gnome is there - maybe not a reason worthy of it's own adventure but how many adventures can you fit in 32 pages?

And why would players demand such explanations? It really seems just as "irrational" to me that someone would expect the ecology of a fantasy universe to contain ONLY those same patterns as exist in the real world. IMC sphinxes hang out wherever they feel like it, ask riddles and grant requests according to whatever rules they feel like following at the time. Maybe they get their guidance from spirits/gods (who know that the 1000 year old tomb will play an important role in the transformation of the cursed land) or maybe they just like being there. A sphinx reading a module about why a bunch of farmers are sitting in a building called a "tavern" and drinking liquids out of cups would be just as confused.

Quasqueton

First Post
However, I have yet to see to this very day a 120-page adventure that didn't have at least a couple of completely retarded (or at best, badly designed) elements.
But this adventure I've been reading and "reviewing" is only 32 pages.

See, gizmo33, you are just stretching my comments to ridiculous extremes in an effort to discredit them. That's called a strawman argument.

And you are adding in little backhand comments about D&D3 (like insulting the current edition of the game is somehow going to buttress up the defense of a module from an earlier edition). Why do you keep bringing the current game and its players into this discussion on an old adventure of an old edition?

IMO there's nothing irrational if a module has a tavern with 20 patrons in it and doesn't tell you the names and the backgrounds of each patron, or why they're there. It's a tavern, so it has patrons.
You are absolutely right. That's why I have not complained about anything even remotely this mundane. Now if that tavern had a red dragon in a booth, a ghoul tending bar, a random bag of gold sitting unattended on a table, no way in or out, and absolutely no mention at all of how this loony situation came to be, then I'd complain. And I'd still be flabbergasted about it when someone shouted out, "Hey, it's a fantasy adventure!"

Quasqueton

Arnwyn

First Post
Quasqueton said:
But this adventure I've been reading and "reviewing" is only 32 pages.
*shrug* Sure, but in the context of this thread (certainly, the original post), it is about the 128-page compilation... so all those who liked it (and are on crack) are talking about either that (or all 3 originals together).

But, whatever. My point still stands - no adventure is free from stupidity (none), it just depends where each individual person draws their line.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Quasqueton said:
There's a freakin' gnome digging tunnels with a *spoon* [literally!] deep in the heart of a 1,000-year-old tomb (with not so much as a single sentence on how or why). And this is not only completely acceptable, but considered "good design"?
You leave Prit alone, you nitpicking spoon-hater!!!

:p

jasper

Rotten DM
Quasqueton said:
...There's a freakin' gnome digging tunnels with a *spoon* [literally!] deep in the heart of a 1,000-year-old tomb (with not so much as a single sentence on how or why). And this is not only completely acceptable, but considered "good design"?

Quasqueton
Leave Spoony out of this. My players still mention him after 10 years. They befriend him left him in safe placed and then fireballed him by mistake.
Also the modules back then assume you own the core books and would cross ref monsters. Instead of today where you can buy the module and phb and not need anything else.

Geron Raveneye

Explorer
Quasqueton said:
Now if that tavern had a red dragon in a booth, a ghoul tending bar, a random bag of gold sitting unattended on a table, no way in or out, and absolutely no mention at all of how this loony situation came to be, then I'd complain. And I'd still be flabbergasted about it when someone shouted out, "Hey, it's a fantasy adventure!"

Quasqueton

There's a story behind that, for sure...just because it's not explained doesn't mean it's not there? How about sitting down and creating it yourself? I thought that was part of the charm of being DM...creating your own stories. A lot of the adventures "back then" were half story, half framework for the DM's stories. Things like warhammers lying around could either be ignored...or turned into a small story itself. Those adventures either were played as straight hack-fests, sometimes with a little background as garnish...or plundered for all those small "inconsistencies" for new story hooks. Always depended on the DM.

Just because adventure design 20 years ago differed in assumptions to today's "standard" doesn't mean the adventure is...how do you say? Horrible? Outrageously bad? Absurd? I don't know, but "back in the days", making up a story about a gnome digging a tunnel with a spoon in a 1000 years old tomb was part of the fun...or making him part of the ongoing one. And if you're that stumped by a warhammer simply lying around in a maze, and don't see a story opportunity in it...well, I'm not sure you should try to pass judgement on those adventures then. *shrug*

Last edited:

gizmo33

First Post
Quasqueton said:
See, gizmo33, you are just stretching my comments to ridiculous extremes in an effort to discredit them. That's called a strawman argument.

I don't know what you're saying here. The quote that you used is not from something that I wrote. I'm not trying to "discredit" what you're saying, it's just my opinion that you're not considering this issue from all sides and I'm trying to clarify some of the other sides.

Quasqueton said:
And you are adding in little backhand comments about D&D3 (like insulting the current edition of the game is somehow going to buttress up the defense of a module from an earlier edition). Why do you keep bringing the current game and its players into this discussion on an old adventure of an old edition?

First of all, I play 3E and I like it a lot and I'm not "insulting the current edition of the game" by making a joke about mohawks. Secondly - there is a cultural difference between the 1E and 3E games and I detect what I strongly think is a bias in favor of some of the unwritten (or sometimes written) logic of the 3E game that is not appropriate for 1E.

Look - you asked what it was about these modules that made them good to those of us that thought so - so I thought that it was important for you to see these things from the perspective of those that played them. Your recent post that got this all started said something like "I3-5 sucks, so tell me why you guys still like it even though it sucks". It really begged the question (if you want to get into issues like strawman arguments - look at the wording of your original question). So I'll say this: given that people that don't like I3-5 have no taste in modules, why is it that people don't like I3-5? - see that's a dead-end.

Quasqueton said:
You are absolutely right. That's why I have not complained about anything even remotely this mundane. Now if that tavern had a red dragon in a booth, a ghoul tending bar, a random bag of gold sitting unattended on a table, no way in or out, and absolutely no mention at all of how this loony situation came to be, then I'd complain. And I'd still be flabbergasted about it when someone shouted out, "Hey, it's a fantasy adventure!"

But it is this mundane because you're making an assumption that the presence of a red dragon and ghoul require and explanation while the presence of 20 tavern patrons do not. Granted, a tavern is a strange place for a red dragon, but a dungeon is not. Granted too - it probably would help to have a general idea of what monsters are doing where. But a dungeon can be seen as a dynamic place, an enchanted place (and I don't mean the kind of enchanment that's simply defined in the PHB - some people have a hard time imagining magic operating in a campaign world that can't be codified in a nice spell-block write-up in the core rules), and monsters are weird.

The point is not that you were complaining about something mundane. You were complaining about elements that are easily explained - especially if you're not trying to fit everything into a real-world model:
1. gnome with spoon: thief that tried to steal from Pharaoh's treasure horde and was geased
2. sphinx: a sphinx's psychology makes it a simple thing for it to sit in a room for decades while it amuses itself in creating imaginary worlds in it's mind. It's inclination is to ask riddles which is a natural part of it's psychology (as is saying "hello" for humans). It was sent here long ago by Martek who realized that it's chaotic services would be necessary, but it forgot most of it's mission, of which it preserves only a distorted view.
3. bag of gold: dropped by some adventurers so that they could carry the bodies of their comrades after they were ambushed by doppelgangers. Or maybe the sack is all that remains of a pile of mundane items that have otherwise rotted away.

Sure, you can drill away at these explanations until the module writers are forced to write a page for every mundane element of the dungeon. How did the gold get there? Whose face are on all 254 coins? Why is it all the same face? Are any of the coins bent or shaved?

At some point when you're playing the game you do have to suspend your disbelief - I really don't see how this is basically different from later modules. I question the motives of any player who is obsessively drilling away at an NPCs explanation when it clearly has no bearing on their mission (breaking the curse) - it would seem to me to be more about hassling the DM than playing the game.

Melan

Explorer
gizmo33 said:
1. gnome with spoon: thief that tried to steal from Pharaoh's treasure horde and was geased
2. sphinx: a sphinx's psychology makes it a simple thing for it to sit in a room for decades while it amuses itself in creating imaginary worlds in it's mind. It's inclination is to ask riddles which is a natural part of it's psychology (as is saying "hello" for humans). It was sent here long ago by Martek who realized that it's chaotic services would be necessary, but it forgot most of it's mission, of which it preserves only a distorted view.
3. bag of gold: dropped by some adventurers so that they could carry the bodies of their comrades after they were ambushed by doppelgangers. Or maybe the sack is all that remains of a pile of mundane items that have otherwise rotted away.
See? Proper DMing in action! :cool:

styopa

Explorer
The series is atmospheric, interesting, has some fantastic npcs that can be durable characters in the dm's world, but:
  • man, I completely hated the 4th-wall breaking tone shifts when they apparently got bored in writing and decided stupid jokes would be "fun"
  • the ending is IMO a complete deus-ex-machina letdown. Very much a negative final note to a grand series of adventures.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases