• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Design thread -"What makes a Knight?" Part II

If you haven't read the previous thread, please take a look at it so you can get some context on what we're talking about - 5E - Design Thread - "What makes a Knight?"

Here's the updated knight design document. I've made a lot of changes to the overall style of the knights, and cut out a lot of the complexity involved in the basic character. Based on @Laurefindel advice about complexity, I've cut down the sub-classes to just three now, which I think fit the three most common knightly archetypes - Foot Knight, Jouster and Pilgrim Knight. These have also had a lot of rejigging of abilities.

Vows have been renamed as Chivalric Ideals, in order to try and streamline this into the existing ruleset (@pemerton) so it's a little more clear. Choosing a specific ideal unlocks a specific skill at 1st level, but also disallows other abilities. Ideal points now power certain abilities and work in concert with particular actions. These actions have been made more clear. Most Ideal abilities only require a single vow point to be used.

The Challenge ability is now specific to the Chivalric Ideal of Courage - the other ideals get different abilities. This draws it away from the Knight NPC class, but also creates more differentiation between the classes. All classes still get Ironside and Leadership.

Ideal points return after a long rest - you can't recharge them with actions any more (@delphonso). That was too complex and needed to be replaced.

In particular, at level 3 I've tried to give them each a passive and active ability using Ideal Points. Though you normally get a big boost at third level, the Knight already has a specific ideal ability which they can use (or change) which replaces the one of the 3rd level 'buffs'.

Just to highlight that Ideal points come from completing Quests - so are actually outside the normal levelling system. This also ties the Knight into the Heraldry system, which will be discussed in another, separate document later. So, what are everyone's thoughts on the new draft?

@billd91 @NotAYakk @Laurefindel @LordEntrails @Olrox17

[mandatory publisher plug]

Click on the link to save $2.00 on the Blizzard of Axe and Sword! 57 pages of epic mini-campaign featuring Frost Giants, Glaciers, Ice-Lakes and much more!

EdMGDw6VcAAtNCU.png

Attachments

• Knight Design 0.2 doc.pdf
    51.3 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

Remove ads