D&D 4E Despite complaints, 4e will sell like crazy when relased.

tetsujin28

First Post
Turjan said:
I'm for its own forum. 'General RPG Discussion' will look a bit empty then, but it might be worth it :).
Dude, then RPGNet would have to create an Exalted forum, and Cessna already vetoed that :D

tetsujin28

First Post
Crothian said:
Of course it will its D&D. At time while EN World is a great place, it is not always a good example of the gaming community. Most of us are gaming snobs.
Word. Message boards are a lousy way of trying to figure out what the gaming community at large does and desires.

Don't mean they ain't fun, though :)

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
I've been thinking about this on and off, while the 4e storm rages around me.

At first, I was thinking, "hmmmm ... I'll stop with 3.5, my collection of 3e stuff is pretty complete, and there's plenty of d20 stuff still out there."

Then, I thought "... but when 4e comes around, I'll take a look at it, and if I like it, I'll buy the core rules. But nothing more!"

Late at night, another thought snuck in. "Maybe ... maybe ... I'll buy the core books and any other books that look cool, just pick the cherries so to speak."

Now that I've read another thread about 4e I've come to a conclusion:

When 4e comes, I'll buy it. Just because I can.

So I'll be getting it, just because it's there, and I don't care if it sucks. I'll buy three sets. Just because I can. :cool:

/M

Belen

Adventurer
NO, GODS NO! Please no 4EEEE!!!

Hey, 4e, how you doing, baby? Want to take a ride on the elven express? I hear you got AoO, baby! Flash me some of that d20......

Kanegrundar

Explorer
Wow, 4E will sell well by Shadow's predictions. In other news the sky is blue. :p

Why oh why do we need to have a new thread every stinking week about 4E? Haven't we hashed this topic to death enough time to QUIT RESSURECTING IT?!?!?!?!?

I guess not.

Kane

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I haven't seen much discussion in quite a while. The start of one, then so much bashing the thread that no discussion can take place, or at least is hard to find amidst all the complaints.

On topic: If they do it right, and it is really an improvement, 4E will probaly sell quite well. But up to a point, the longer they wait, the better it will sell. The trick is figuring how long.
WotC is in an unusual position. They can look at other RPGs and compare. 4E Shadowrun. 6E Call of Cthulhu. 4E Vampire. 7E Tunnels & Trolls. On and on.
Other companies can get away with releasing new editions more frequently than D&D, the first rpg and still only on 3(.5)E. BUT all of them combined don't sell as well as D&D.

The people at WotC have to be careful. New product sells. When a product stops selling it's time to replace it. Those that claim they won't buy the next edition probably already won't buy another 3.5 PHB anyway, they already own it! So what does WotC lose? Answer: sales on support product. It's hard to sell a support product when the game is going to be obsolete in a few months.

Oates

First Post
This sound like the same argument the warhammers players lament about...

blah, blah, blah new edition blah blah blah done with GW blah blah

you don't have to buy the new edition .... people still use OD&D....

Psion

Adventurer
Oates said:
This sound like the same argument the warhammers players lament about...

blah, blah, blah new edition blah blah blah done with GW blah blah

It just so happens that I don't feel that lamenting WH players are wrong. And I quit pouring money into that moneypit.

tetsujin28

First Post
Psion said:
It just so happens that I don't feel that lamenting WH players are wrong. And I quit pouring money into that moneypit.
Indeed. Not to sidetrack too much, but WH is run off a generational principle: whenever there's a new influx of WH players, GW puts out a new edition that everyone "has" to buy to be up to date.

This isn't really the same thing as a release for 4e. Wargamers are more communal, in that a game you play at home is supposedly the same game you would play at a tournament. This isn't true of rpgs, which are way more variable in their interpretation and use of rules.

Remove ads