Diaglo - to bring a tear to your eye

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
warlord said:
Does anyone else think its sad how ant-previous editions people have become? Everytime I try to get a group to play either 1st or 2nd Edition I get yelled at or tossed out.
I wouldn't be rude to you, but my answer would still be "No dice."

diaglo

Adventurer
TheYeti1775 said:
I found a copy of near mint condition S1 Tomb of Horrors (the illustration portion was still stapled in) along with X1 & X2 for $7.50 each at a used book store up here. You know all I need now is a hard copy of the 1e PHB & DMG and just have a flashback night. I have PDF's of them, but it's just not the same. I know my collection will not rival yours, wife won't allow that to happen, but I like my little finds when I can get them.

Bill

great find there.

what's your email address or snail mail addy?

i think i have a good 1edADnD PHB & DMG handy.

It's pretty easy to get a 1e PHB & DMG, I just picked up a copy of each at Gen Con for $10 apiece.

Now, I couldn't see myself playing in a 1e game under normal circumstances, and defnitely not running one, but I find it fascinatng for the historic/research value of seeing where our game has come from, the way things used to be done, and when certain things were added (or removed) from the game.

One thing I saw there that would really bring a tear to Diaglo's eye would be the fact I saw somebody buy an original copy of the original 1974 version he cherishes, and paid $150 for it. Dunno if he wanted it to play, or for library purposes, but I know that was the first time my eyes ever caught sight of those little booklets.

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
I already have B2 Keep on the Borderlands as well.
Picked that up with a bunch from a guy selling a bunch of 1e modules (about 12 of them) for $25 bucks.

Diaglo - my email is culpwr @ hqmc.usmc.mil

Don't worry about sending any to me, I can always just check this used book store. She gets them in every now and then, and she will hold it for me if I ask her too.

I started a converted to 3.5 TOEE for 2 of my friends, they are loving it so far. 2 PC's each, and 2 NPC's.

Aaron L

Hero
Ive got a very nice copy of S3 Expedition to the Barrier Peaks sitting right here beside me that I'd be MORE than willing to run or (better yet) play in a 1E game :) Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun is here somewhere...

Sammael

Adventurer
warlord said:
Does anyone else think its sad how ant-previous editions people have become? Everytime I try to get a group to play either 1st or 2nd Edition I get yelled at or tossed out.
I tried both running and playing in a 2e game after 3e came out. Couldn't do either. For running, the mechanics were too clunky and I had to make too many ad-hoc rulings. For playing, it took me four hours to make a character, and I ended up using 12 or 13 books for it. And he was a 3rd level character! Dwarf fighter/thief, with 95% open locks and 95% find traps... at 3rd level. Sigh.

Ranes

Adventurer
I'm a 3e fan, no question. That didn't stop me picking up near mint copies of 1e's PHB, DMG, MM and D&DG recently for between £2-4 each. The print smelled new, as the undamaged spines cracked open. Not that interested in going back to 1e (although I guess I'd play a one-off or short campaign if I could find the right people to play with) but I wanted good, unmarked, replacement copies of books I'd lost a long time ago. I already had a first print run PHB but it looks like it has just made a save against (3.5) disintegration.

I would have loved to get the first print run OD&D boxed set that was on eBay last week but I don't have a spare £1000+ to throw at such a thing, at the moment.:(

So, congratulations on your find, Bill. If there was a green-with-envy emoticon, I'd use it right about now.

Remove ads