D&D General Did anyone ever "win" D&D?

CapnZapp

Legend
It is, at least within 3.5e, possible to become a PC at the highest rank of divinity and take on the DM. You have to win 12 fights against yourself to fight the DM, but if you win, you have officially and indisputably won D&D.
I say indisputably because if anyone argues, they cease to exist.
My necromancy rating: four out of five stars

Orius

Legend
It is, at least within 3.5e, possible to become a PC at the highest rank of divinity and take on the DM. You have to win 12 fights against yourself to fight the DM, but if you win, you have officially and indisputably won D&D.

There is no divine rank high enough combined with any number of epic levels, epic feats and divine salient abilities that can defeat the ultimate power of Rule 0.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten

I seem to recall that this was from the Immortal's Handbook series. Nicely referenced! :D

If someone says they have done this, would you believe them?
You should. We almost did it. Yes almost... My players went up to the Immortal, chose to start over again as 1st level characters but the "second coming" campaign ended at the 30th level. It was a campaign that we had started back in 1980 and ended in 1990. In the early years we were playing about 2 to 4 times a week. Sessions were sometimes short ('bout 3 to 4 hours) sometimes long sessions (12+ hours). This group was exceptionally focused and behaved admirably (they won 4 different tournaments in our region). Then, in 1983 or 1984 we started AD&D. We kept the "basic" campaign going about once or twice a month up to 1990, year in which we all went to different universities. We wanted to test it all. And we did.

The fun thing with the immortal set was that it enabled us to understand why the gods act as they do. The game of bidding power to counter or initiate events in the material world showed us why gods much prefer to use mortal agents instead of direct intervention. Direct intervention is costly and it leaves you open for an outbid by a rival in an other of your endeavor. It was quite en enlightening game.

And for those who might be tempted to say impossible. Remember that gold = experience. It was easy for a DM to enhance the leveling rate by being quite generous with gold. For the second coming campaign, I was quite generous.

R_J_K75

Legend
Winning at D&D? It's when everyone at the table (including the DM) is having fun and making a memorable game story others will enjoy the retelling of.

I've lost D&D a few times while browsing books at the local game store and some random Joe wants to tell me about his character. Its a half human/half elf/half half-elf/1/4 dwarf/half halfing/full orc; with gnome parents. Hes also a 314th level barbarian/Bard/Cleric/Druid/fighter/monk/paladin/ranger/rougue/sorcerer/wizard. Weve all run into that guy and had to listen to this story.

Orius

Legend
I've lost D&D a few times while browsing books at the local game store and some random Joe wants to tell me about his character. Its a half human/half elf/half half-elf/1/4 dwarf/half halfing/full orc; with gnome parents. Hes also a 314th level barbarian/Bard/Cleric/Druid/fighter/monk/paladin/ranger/rougue/sorcerer/wizard. Weve all run into that guy and had to listen to this story.

I'm lucky, I never ran into that guy. The worst I ran into was the guy who thought WG7 was actually funny.

Orius

Legend
WG7, Castle Greyhawk:

The infamous late 1e module that purported itself to be Gary's own megadungeon but wasn't. A source of grog nerdrage for over 30 years. A dungeon conceived by some TSR exec who thought the demiplane sublevels Gary based on Alice in Wonderland and King Kong were typical of the dungeon as a whole.

Last edited:

R_J_K75

Legend
Honestly I think the closest I ever came to winning D&D was a one-shot pick up game with 4 or 5 friends playing 2E on a Sunday afternoon. I rolled up, "Mr. X" a human Transmuter birthed from a polymorphed piece of feces. The DM gave us all random magical items and when it came to me he said "Oh No"! True to his word he rolled randomly and I ended up with a wand of transmutation. He shouldve know better because instead of using it to help the party I used it to threaten them to make them do what I wanted. By the end of the adventure I polymorphed one of my buddies PCs into this hideous monstrosity over the course of a few hours, taunting him, you better do as I say or ill...while waving my wand at him. It was hilarious, we all had a blast and never played those characters again. Everytime I run into any of those guys we talk about that session.

R_J_K75

Legend
WG7, Castle Greyhawk:

The infamous late 1e module that purported itself to be Gary's own megadungeon but wasn't. A source of grog nerdrage for over 30 years. A dungeon conceived by some TSR exec who thought the demiplane sublevels Gary based on Alice in Wonderland and King Kong was typical of the dungeon as a whole.

I never played that adventure. Didnt Gygax detail some stuff of Greyhawk under another company?

Remove ads