• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Did anyone here come into gaming *through* computers?

Wik

First Post
Moleculo said:
When I was about 9 or 10, my brothers and I saved for maybe six months on our meager allowances to buy a Sega Genesis. We had finally come to the Toys'R'us to buy the system, and realized that we didn't have enough money to buy any games beyond the Sonic the Hedgehog 2 that came with the system. My mother, in her infinite wisdom, said that she would buy us two games for the system provided she was able to choose one of the games. We chose some random game that I don't even remember. My mother chose "Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun," because, "it looks educational."

After a while, we played the stuffing out of the game, and after a couple of months we came upon an original D&D box set that TSR had re-released. My brothers and I were pretty interested in seeing what it was about. She cracked it open, we rolled our characters, and she DMed for us. She had always been into Fantasy and Science Fiction, but I don't believe she really knew anything about D&D before that.

I gotta say, that's a pretty cool story. Hats off to your mom.

And I remember that game on the Sega. I could never get past one of the fights with the beastmen. I think it may have been the fact that my group always consisted of a dwarf, a halfling, an elf, and a thief. Cuz I'm strange.

I can't believe I forgot this. My aunt had an old D&D game for DOS that was completely text based and used an ASCII map with an asterisk for movement through dungeons. I was maybe 9 years old at the time and remember being glued to that amber screen for hours at a time.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I got back into gaming thanks to Baldur's Gate II, which a friend gave me.

Back in the days of yore, I played 1e, and stopped around the time 2e began. After finishing BG2, though, I was kinda into the idea of playing D&D again, and that coincided precisely with the launch of 3e. So I managed to skip 2e entirely.

Cheers, -- N

crazy_cat

Adventurer
Count me as another one who came back to RPGs, after a long break, via the Baldurs Gate, Baldurs Gate 2, and Neverwinter Nights route.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I loved Pong, but after a while it just wasn't fulfilling. Move the paddle up, move it down, that was about it. I wanted to something where I was more in control, maybe be able to move left and right as well. When I discovered I could move my character in any direction in D&D, I was hooked.

Moon-Lancer

First Post
DungeonMaester said:
Um..When I was Six I was playing Super Mario Bros. with my friend when he said "Hey, want to play a game where you can cut people in half with a axe?"

I was also 6 when the Nintendo came out (or when I discovered it). My favorite game was Zelda. That game held an instant attraction. around 7 i played hero quest, and 15 years later would be the first time I played d&d. I think it was 3.0 but could have been 3.5. Really I always wanted to play, but could never find a group, but I never searched too hard.

TwinBahamut

First Post
I wasn't really brought into D&D directly from videogaming, but I played videogames for a long time before getting into D&D, and they serve as a major inspiration.

The big trigger for me, I think, was watching a Sci-Fi channel documentary on TSR, and mistaking a late 2E D&D basic adventure set for a normal boardgame...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads