D&D 4E Did WOTC lie to 4e players about 5e?

Status
Not open for further replies.

foolish_mortals

First Post
guys,

I saw this video last night as I was going over people's reactions to the 5e announcement:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSMeS_cW_Ko&feature=related]D&D 5th Edition thoughts - YouTube[/ame]

I was kind of taken back by this persons assertion that he had been repeatedly told that 5e was not going to be a reality and that he should go ahead and spend the $1000 he did on 4e products. Did other people have this experience or did he have an unique experience.

The odd thing is that he really likes 4e.

Is this isolated or widespread?
foolish_mortals

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
Well, depending on how the NDA was worded, I imagine anyone at WotC with any knowledge of 5E was not allowed to even hint at acknowledging its existence or development, and if that were the case it would look really bad if they were asked "Should I buy 4E stuff?" then answer with "Umm...uhhh....look a squirrel!"

It's probably gotta be really hard for WotC employees if they KNOW about something, but can't even acknowledge that they know anything about it, then get asked point blank about it. Your only choice is to lie, because otherwise, someone with a suspicious or investigative mindset will take your silence to mean that you know something.

foolish_mortals

First Post
thanks for your reply. NDA or not at least one person thinks they were tricked by WOTC. I'm not saying that he got a raw deal since he apparently likes 4e.

foolish_mortals

enrious

You make a number of evidential assumptions that I wouldn't be so quick to make:

1) The gentleman in the video is telling the truth. Seriously, he loves 4e so much and is so hurt but the Pathfinder DM screen just happens to be prominent?

2) That he was repeatedly told 5e was not going to be a reality - I've yet to see empirical evidence that people were told there would never be a 5e from knowledgeable sources. Indeed, I'd have to question the intelligence of anyone who believed there'd never be a 5e.

3) That he really likes 4e. Again, given the context, a more likely explanation is that this is nothing more than an amateur trolljob - a true artist would have understood subtle.

4) Listening to this guy ramble some more, I seriously question his gaming intelligence.

Seriously, you start up posting here with the 5e announcement, have posted this video, have asserted that WotC employees (or those directed by WotC) are regularly here and shilling for their products or casting aspersions against competitors.

Who do you work for?

Last edited:

Nivenus

First Post
AFAIK, WotC only said that there wouldn't be a 4.5e. Your mileage may vary as to whether they lied about that in regards to Essentials.

However, there's also a difference between lying and changing your mind later.

foolish_mortals

First Post
AFAIK, WotC only said that there wouldn't be a 4.5e. Your mileage may vary as to whether they lied about that in regards to Essentials.

However, there's also a difference between lying and changing your mind later.

thanks for this info. I haven't paid attention to WOTC for a long time so I have to take what people are saying as the truth.

foolish_mortals

Dannager

First Post
Oh dear lord can we avoid the whole, "I heard from an internet person that WotC lied to everyone!" thing this time around?

enrious

thanks for this info. I haven't paid attention to WOTC for a long time so I have to take what people are saying as the truth.

foolish_mortals

And with that demise of your credibility, current and past, you might as well stop posting for a bit, become educated on the subject, and then resume when you are more knowledgeable about the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads