differnt races and war/combat

questionmark

First Post
Hi Everyone!

I am running a campaign where the pcs will spend a year with each of the core races to learn there ways. They will be starting with the elves. I want to find a resource were there outlook on combat and war are described in some detail. I will run some quests based on the following questions.

1. how do elves learn to fight?

2. how do elves organize an army?

3. how do elves go to war?

4. What is the elvish Art of war?(ie. strategic outlook)

5. What are the core values of the elves

I will run simmilar quests with each of the core races teaching the pcs the philosophies of each race.

Any resources would be incredibly usefull.

Thank You,

?

Kae'Yoss

First Post
1. how do elves learn to fight?
Slowly :p

Seriously: Since they have about a century to become what elves consider adults (they become what a human would call adult at about 20 - 25 years of age, but there's a phase of spiritual growth between that and the elven concept of being adult, which doesn't have a human equivalent), so they learn to use sword and bow because they try out everything.

They don't just use them to kill things, they also combine their appreciation for art with their swordplay, and do choreographed duels. Archery is useful for hunting as well as warfare, so it's double useful.

They will turn their prowess with weapons - and with other things that can be used in combat, including magic, and even the arts - to martial ends, of course, since they have enemies: Orcs, goblinoids and other "green races", many humans (nothing new here, everyone counts some humans among his enemies), and, of course, drow. Since they have time to spare, they think it's unwise not to prepare everyone for fights, since it's always possible that an enemy overcomes their combatants and starts to slaughter the non-combatant populace, and not spending 5 out of 100 years to prepare for that eventuality would be extremely unwise and short-sighted (and elves are anything but shortsighted)

2. how do elves organize an army?

Somewhat less organised than your average human, I'd say, and a lot less regimented than dwarves. It isn't necessarily a bad thing, though, since elves probably know where they belong in a fight. Their chaotic streak would balk at strict orders, anyway, and they often use smaller warbands and guerilla tactics against enemies.

There can be elven armies, of course, and I guess seeing a whole army of elves training their "kata" (for want of a better word) simultaneously (remember, they had ample time, and inclination, to study what is both useful in war and as a form of art) for the enemies to see can probably be a disheartening sight.

They will naturally settle into the positions they're best at, companies and the like will naturally form among extended family lines and tribal connections, so it will not be that much less organised than other races, and their natural streak for chaos, including change (and an aptitude for improvisation) will, of course, help.

3. how do elves go to war?

Some of this I answered above: They try small bands and surprise attacks - maybe the enemy will abandon his attack when he becomes frustrated at the unseen enemies harrying him.

If they must, they will employ large armies. The armies will have more unregular troups than normal. Most troups will carry both sword and bow, so they can change from archery to melee as the situation demands. Also, they will have rather a lot wizards there, and bards will probably do their part, too.

4. What is the elvish Art of war?(ie. strategic outlook)
They're usually smart but frail, so they make extensive use of tactics, building on their advantages. Not just guerilla warfare, but also manoeuvering during the fight, beyond a simple "CHARGE!" Elves are more likely to employ fancy tactics than your average army.

5. What are the core values of the elves

They like to blend with nature, not just (ab)use it like many other races do.

They appreciate art, and usually combine the practical with the beautiful. Their swords aren't just hurting implements, they're elaborate. Their elite aren't just very brawny warriors (not that this is ineffective - it's just not their way) but bladesingers and -dancers, who combine art with warcraft, and maybe even throw magic into the mix.

They like to take the big picture into view. They're patient, less rushed than humans (which can be a blessing and a curse, often at the same time), because they usually have the time to do so. They aim for perfection, doing a great job in a month when a passable job could be done in a week.

It is often said that elves don't just use magic, they're part of it. So unlike many other races (and/or cultures), there is virtually no reluctance toward magic. They don't mind using magic to do even mundane tasks if it's more effective than mundane means.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
As I have something going here, I'll continue with dwarves, why don't I? (Races of Stone is a nice source here)

1. how do dwarves learn to fight?

Most dwarves learn to fight, though not quite all of them. Some only put a bit of effort into it (and learn like one simple weapon), but no one gets by quite without. They're big about a militia. The Underdark's a dangerous place, and good living space isn't exactly in profusion, so they have to repell their fair share of would be invaders.

There is some militia duty for every growing dwarf, and for many, the lessons stick. The race produces more fighters than everything else, probably because they come to like the fighting. Dwarves are fond of hard physical activities, be it mining or bashing enemies' skulls.

2. how do dwarves organize an army?

Dwarves are quite lawful, organised. Their armies are thoroughly organised, too. They believe in strict chains of command, and wouldn't dream of disobeying an order, unless it's really atrocious (but since most dwarves wouldn't dream of using their clanmates in such a way, and those who do quickly find themselves relieved of command, it isn't much of an issue, anyway).

A dwarf knows where he's supposed to stand. They practise regularly, so a dwarf could sleepwalk to his spot in the platoon.

3. how do dwarves go to war?

They usually don't have to go to war, because war comes to their doorstep and knocks.

That said, they choose the place of the confrontation, and it's a place where they downplay any potential advantages their usual enemies have over them, and maximise their advantages. Oh, and that place lies beyond a veritable gauntlet. One death trap after the other. Those who survive it face an army of dwarven fighters, armed and armoured with dwarf-made weapons and armour, which tend to be high-quality, and on the heavier side (especially armour). They're not particularly fast, but nothing short of a couple of ripped-off legs will slow them down. It's like an unstoppable force, a tidal wave washing over you. Their stamina is probably superiour to their enemies, and theirs wasn't tested by a claustrophobic nightmare of fine dwarven traps.

4. What is the dwarvish Art of war?(ie. strategic outlook)

They like to have a plan. They like things going according to plan, because their rigid mentality isn't that well-equipped to deal with change, so they carefully think about all the contingencies.

They work together, exceptionally so. They coordinate their attacks, flanking enemies, covering each others' back. They know each other well, because they train together and often live together as well. A dwarf will die for his brothers or fellow clansmen.

5. What are the core values of the dwarves

Honour. That of the individual, and much more important, that of the clan. That doesn't mean that they won't exploit advantages or pull a sneak attack, but they do cleave to a code.

Tradition: They prefer to do things the way their ancestors (which they honour) did. They think long and hard about any change anyone would enact, because just doing something differently for no good reason would insult their ancestors, so a change has to improve things in a non-trivial way.

Hard Work: They like to work up a sweat and feel their muscles. Their endless toil made them what they are: Some pretty tough monkeys. They take pride in the hardships they endure, and they make them feel alive.

Privacy: Physical privacy often is not an option for a dwarf. Down in the dephts, living space is at a premium, and not every young dwarf will get his own chamber. In fact, there's even some married couples whose privacy zone is created by curtains hung in the common room. So they value mental privacy. They don't chatter about everything with anybody. Their thoughts are theirs, and they don't like to give up that privacy easily.

questionmark

First Post
Kae'Yoss,

Absolutely fantastic! your are the resource I have been looking for. By all means if the mood strikes you, stop by and submit some more! My pcs will visit gnomes, and halfings, and humans as well.

Thank you very much. You are Awesome!

?

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Always happy to help.

It's bedtime for me soon (close to midnight here, and I'm getting tired), but I'll see whether I have time to post something tomorrow.

Corvidae

First Post
Since Kae'yoss gave such a great view, I thought I might share my own ideas, then you can draw from both.

How do elves learn to fight.

Elven childhood (all 100 years of it) is filled with learning. Young elves try their hand at a variety of arts, crafts, and endeavors. Every elf will have a smattering of skills gained from such training. However, the training that the elves hold in the highest regard is the arts of war such as strategy, sword play, reconaissance, archery, and (surprisingly) engineering.

The elves train their young by teaching basic steps or basic tips, but never going into elaborate detail. Each young elf must decide for themself what to do with what they have been taught. Because of this, even though each elf will know the same "kata" they will all use the moves of the "kata" differently in battle.

Young elves often hone their fighting skills against elves from other bands. This is done in sets of ritualized duels and contests known collectively as "the dance of blades" The weapons are dulled for the duels so that no elf is killed (although it has been known to happen, it is happily a rare occurance).

The dance of blades consist of battles in sword play, reconaissance, archery and engineering. The sword play duels are matches called out by one member of a band to a member of the opposite band. It may be refused but rarely is done so (gaining experiance is what the dance of blades is all about). The duels often consist of a single blow. The elves face each other parrying each strike until one sees and oppurtunity and ends the duel.

The next battle is about archery. The archers rather than place a target and try to hit it will attempt to perform outrageous feats of archery such as trying to strike the stem of a single cherry picked out on the tree. They will also test their skills with speed of archery by having a leaf thrown in the air and firing at a tree or stump as many times as they can before it touches ground.

The battle of reconaissance requires no weapons, it is about the bands of elves trying to steal something important to the other band. In order to do this, certain things must be known, where the item is located, how it is guarded, when would be the time to strike, how to strike, etc. This prepares elves for times when they must find the enemies plans, or take something in order to demoralize the enemy (a battle standard, trophies of war, etc.)

The battle of engineering is not engineering as most races look at it. The bands of elves try to make a certain patch of forest as defensible and confusing as possible. They use magical traps, and natural barriers predominately. Time permitting, they will try to coax nature into the use that they want (helping brambles spread into a wall of thorns, or a funnel for enemies. The other band must try to make it through this gauntlet of nature without being struck by dulled arrows (they may fire back with their own). The "attackers" can continue on even if hit, but the "defenders" must leave the area. The win goes to the band that hit the most attackers and lost the least defenders (although it is considered a failure if the ratio of attackers hit to defenders hit is not at least 4 to 1)

These duels and battles are the main form of entertainment for about 25 years of the elves childhood (about from the age 50 to 75) when they become less important than learning art or music. However, all elves retain the lessons taught, and all elves are capable of defending their homes when the need arises.

Ok, that was a lot more longwinded than I thought it would be, let me know if you want me to continue.

Corvidae

Remove ads