Dire Boars loose in Alabama

Corvidae

First Post
Jupp said:
Sorry but this is just sick and disgusting. His parents deserve a fair beating. Letting a kid kill an animal for sports and fun.... :mad:

Why is it sick and disgusting?

Our ancestors all hunted and you can be they got excited when they killed something that was big or in other ways unusual. It seems the kid is excited because he knows it is unusual, it isn't like he said "I am going to go out and kill as many animals as possible to try and match this" and it is also not like the pig went to waste; remember 700 pounds of sausage.

I understand you are against hunting, but that does not make hunting sick or disgusting.

Corvidae

Dragonhelm said:
I wonder how many HD this thing had...

A lot, as it uses the poorly-designed monster HD advancement rules. How else does a 1st-level child actually hit the thing? If it had been using some sort of modified Wild Cohort system it wouldn't have been in this mess, despite ending up with fewer hit points, due to higher AC/Defense.

Of course, this must have been d20 Modern; the thing wouldn't have run out of hit points if it didn't have to worry about massive damage threshold. (Even with the ferocity rules, it can still die from massive damage, but at least one minute later than expected.)

Jupp

Explorer
Corvidae said:
Why is it sick and disgusting?

Our ancestors all hunted and you can be they got excited when they killed something that was big or in other ways unusual. It seems the kid is excited because he knows it is unusual, it isn't like he said "I am going to go out and kill as many animals as possible to try and match this" and it is also not like the pig went to waste; remember 700 pounds of sausage.

I understand you are against hunting, but that does not make hunting sick or disgusting.

Corvidae

The time of your ancestors is the time of the past. IIRC hunting is not essential for surviving in todays times.

And I am not against hunting per se. But it is disgusting to me that kids are running around with guns and go out to kill animals and then we make them feel proud about what they just did. Around here we teach our kids not to kill or harm animals just for fun and sports but to respect them and their right to live. Different countries, different mindsets. And i will leave it at that. Sorry for disturbing this thread with personal opinions about non-game topics.

Celebrim

Legend
Jupp said:
Sorry but this is just sick and disgusting. His parents deserve a fair beating. Letting a kid kill an animal for sports and fun.... :mad:

Ahh... nothing says 'I don't live in the real world', like the squimishness and hypocricy that's born from affluence. Reminds me of the girl who visited the farm and said, "I don't understand why people keep all these stinky cows when they could just get thier milk from the grocery store." (I'm not making that up.)

In any event, I didn't intend this to be a serious thread much less a political one so if all you have to say is, "I think this boy is disgusting..." then please refrain from commenting in my thread.

Jupp

Explorer
Celebrim said:
Ahh... nothing says 'I don't live in the real world', like the squimishness and hypocricy that's born from affluence. Reminds me of the girl who visited the farm and said, "I don't understand why people keep all these stinky cows when they could just get thier milk from the grocery store." (I'm not making that up.)

In any event, I didn't intend this to be a serious thread much less a political one so if all you have to say is, "I think this boy is disgusting..." then please refrain from commenting in my thread.

I was raised in a farmers village but thanks for reminding me where the milk comes from ;)

Corvidae

First Post
Jupp said:
The time of your ancestors is the time of the past. IIRC hunting is not essential for surviving in todays times.

And I am not against hunting per se. But it is disgusting to me that kids are running around with guns and go out to kill animals and then we make them feel proud about what they just did. Around here we teach our kids not to kill or harm animals just for fun and sports but to respect them and their right to live. Different countries, different mindsets. And i will leave it at that. Sorry for disturbing this thread with personal opinions about non-game topics.

Different mindsets I guess, around here we teach kids that they are part of nature and that they need to respect nature. Now, it may mean that humans have to take the role of predator.

I do not support hunting just to kill, but they are using nature, they are eating what they killed, I do not think that means they are disrespecting it.

Corvidae

p.s.- This will be my last post on this topic, sorry for derailing the thread

p.p.s. - I don't know if it qualifies as dire
It is 9 ft long and 1,000 lbs.
The srd says a dire boar is up to 12 ft long and 2,000 lbs
Maybe it is a young dire boar, imagine what an adult would be :eek:

Last edited:

Celebrim

Legend
Jupp said:
I was raised in a farmers village but thanks for reminding me where the milk comes from ;)

That doesn't impress me. I've known to many Swiss. Everyone from Switzerland says they are raised in a farmer's village. 'Raised in a farmer's village' is one of the countries chief industries, behind only snow, banking, watches, and knives inappropriately named 'army' knives.

I'm glad to find you good humored. It makes me wish I could discuss this at length, but let's just say that in my experience people who kill the animals that they eat, have more respect for animals than those that pay to have that task undertaken by someone else. I would imagine, based on my experience, that at some level this is part of the 'common sense' that you are taught. For example, you are probably taught the primitive substitance hunters lived in harmony with the natural world and had a great respect for the animals that they needed to survive.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I think that the bickering in this thread can stop immediately. If you don't like the subject matter, SKIP TO THE NEXT THREAD.

Asmor

First Post
Green Knight said:
What's so disturbing about it? He accomplished something that few others get to experience. This 10-year-old kid went to hunt pheasants and ended up bagging a monster boar all by himself. Let's say the kid were a pitcher in his elementary school softball team, and he got the chance to pitch against a Major League baseball player, and successfully struck him out. Would you think it was disturbing if he felt good about it? What if the kid liked to climb fake rock walls, and got the chance to climb a real mountain, and succeeded in climbing the mountain? Would his enthusiasm there be disturbing, too?

Difference here, though, is that baseball players get struck out all the time. Mountains get climbed all the time. But how many people can lay claim to having singlehandedly killed a boar that huge? For a 10-year-old kid to be able to say he has, well, that's an accomplishment, and it's something he should be proud of.

If you don't see a difference between being killing something and striking someone out, I don't think we're going to find much on this subject we agree on.

Remove ads