• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Disable the blog bar to the Left of the screen?

frankthedm

First Post
I can understand the financial angle, but I cannot fathom how making the side too wide for the screen for non-supporters is going to help things in the long run.
Given the way the site now looks to non-subscribers, I can't imagine new users bothering to stick around long enough to decide to subscribe.
This actually does happen. For example, the Wizards forums lost me about three months ago. Their new forums were too annoying, so I stopped going.
I'm on a widescreen, and the huge sidebars on both sides still really make browsing the forums uncomfortable now.
I'll echo these concerns

Thanee

First Post
Yep, sidebars like those are really pretty high on the annoyance scale. Two of them at the same time are a bit much. I can see how this might scare away some folks. For me it doesn't really matter, since I know how to remove them to see the forum at full width, but without that, the forum would hardly be usable in a reasonable manner.

Bye
Thanee

pawsplay

Hero
I was kind of hoping that once we reached the fundraising goal that we would be spared some of the bell-ringing and navigation changes. Definitely not digging the "skinny sidebar" that appears on some pages, even with sidebars disabled.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Add me to the group of people that can't stand it. I would subscribe, but I don't feel comfortable with any company, let alone PayPal, automatically charging my account monthly. If there were still a year-long subscription, I may have gotten off my lazy butt to subscribe.

Sammael

Adventurer
I'm a subscriber, but I just logged out to check how the site looks for non-subscribers.

Seriously, Russ, I think you may want to switch to a full pay-site model here and drop the sidebar ads, because I don't see how any non-subscriber could stand to browse ENW without some serious ad-blocking software. If it looks this bad on my 22" widescreen, I can only imagine how horrible it is on 19" or smaller screens (and I know many people who still use 17" screens, particularly at work).

pawsplay

Hero
I'm a subscriber, but I just logged out to check how the site looks for non-subscribers.

Seriously, Russ, I think you may want to switch to a full pay-site model here and drop the sidebar ads, because I don't see how any non-subscriber could stand to browse ENW without some serious ad-blocking software. If it looks this bad on my 22" widescreen, I can only imagine how horrible it is on 19" or smaller screens (and I know many people who still use 17" screens, particularly at work).

I have a 17" screen and I already had to modify IE's settings to keep ENWorld's icons from being too huge after the last upgrade in certain rare viewing situations (if the banner became wider than my screen, the icons would cheerfully inflate themselves to a more "optimal" resolution).

I know it's a false comparison in a number of ways, but I always find myself comparing the experience to:

http://bluedevilgames.yuku.com/

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Some screenshots might be useful; I have a 22" screen, admittidly, but with both sidebars running I have acres of space. The sidebars between them take up maybe 15% of the screen at most.

Thanee

First Post
Yeah, on a bigger screen it's remotely bearable. ;)

The first time I have been looking at the site after the change, I was using my 10" Netbook. :lol:

Bye
Thanee

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads