• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Disable the blog bar to the Left of the screen?

Maybe for you. For me, it is still present. May have to go and kill my cache and/or play with profile settings to make it disappear, I'll bet.

Well, it's still there on the ENWorld main page. In fact, it's all on the left, rather than the right, now.

But it's gone on the forum pages, and that's where it matters, at least to me. :)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
But it's gone on the forum pages, and that's where it matters, at least to me. :)

I repeat... for you it is gone...

Edit: Okay, here's part of the deal which doesn't seem to have been explicitly said...

There are a few things a Community Supporter can turn off in the User Control Panel (under Edit Options) One is "Column Ad", another is "Sidebar". At this time, there are column ads on *both* sides, and "Sidebar" on both sides. The only way to turn off "the stuff on the left" it to disable all the sidebar and column ads.

For people who don't have wide screens (like me, working on a 14" laptop screen) the left/right issue is an important one. I had sidebar and column ads on, because they didn't impact usability much. They were off the right hand side of the screen, and I didn't need to look at them if I didn't want to most of the time. But I could glance at them when I wanted to.

Having things on the left, however, pushes the rest of the stuff off to the right - meaning I have to scroll sideways to see an entire forum post. This is now a nuisance, and means I cannot enable the sidebar at all if I want to easily read the forums.

So, for future reference, we might want to look into having controls for Left/Right as well as for Ads/Sidebar.

Last edited:

pawsplay

Hero
I can understand the financial angle, but I cannot fathom how making the side too wide for the screen for non-supporters is going to help things in the long run.

MarkB

Legend
Given the way the site now looks to non-subscribers, I can't imagine new users bothering to stick around long enough to decide to subscribe.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Given the way the site now looks to non-subscribers, I can't imagine new users bothering to stick around long enough to decide to subscribe.
This actually does happen. For example, the Wizards forums lost me about three months ago. Their new forums were too annoying, so I stopped going.

Cheers, -- N

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

Well, I'm obviously going to be measuring traffic rather than making wild guesses and predictions. Fortunately, we can measure these things very precisely. :)

Last edited:

Xris Robin

First Post
I'm on a widescreen, and the huge sidebars on both sides still really make browsing the forums uncomfortable now.

As a free user, my opinion may not mean much, but I'm certainly not going to start paying money to fix things. When people jerk me around, I just leave. Guess it's WotC for me.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads