Discovery Trailer

I This is all true, if you view Lorca as one of the protagonists. But since it looks like he's merely the villain, then his arc becomes less relevant. Discovery is not his story; it's Burnham's and Saru's and Stamets's and Tilly's, etc. All the Prime Universe Starfleet officers who went along with Lorca's actions. They're the ones who'll learn the lessons. The drama and morality hang on them and how they deal the Lorca reveal.
I think we see this is where the show's going in the trailer for this week's ep., with Saru saying something to the effect of "Now we take Discovery back!".
Burnham was always *the* protagonist, but I was hoping the rest of the cast might be important in ways other than plot elements. Anyone not related to Burnham's character arc is a cypher and lucky to even have a name…
Saru and Tilly are really only there to add drama to Burnham. Saru to serve as the "path not taken" while Tilly draws her out of her self-imposed exile.
I've also said repeatedly, Tilly's role in the story is to be bonded to and die at Tyler/Loq's hands in order to drive Burnham to move past her affection and kill him. (Likely with last words related to "at least I got to be Captain… for a little while…") I'm now expanding that prediction to alternatively include Lorca. And Stamet is also likely fated to die so the secrets of the Spore Drive are lost.
ILet me say (again) I really wish Fuller would have stuck around. I think he could have pulled a lot of what the creative team attempted to do in a more satisfying manner. Or at least a more coherent one.
Agreed. I'm sad he was fired.
He was also pushing for stuff like uniforms closer to TOS and the like. So under his leadership, I imagine things like Klingons might look a little more like Klingons as well, removing the visual dislike of the show for many fans…
(Of course, he also wanted the show to be an anthology series, with each season set in a different era. That would have been lovely, albeit likely expensive. We're left to only imagine the adventures of the Discovery-A in 2275, Discovery-B in 2300, and the Discovery-C in 2325…)
I'm still in, though. Discovery still surprises me in a way I didn't expect, and I'm not talking about the big twists, here, more the overall structure of the show & it's themes. It's exciting!
I am curious (morbidly curious?) and uncertain where things are going. The two story structure of the season has been… different. They could do anything. Maybe they'll end with the prime universe Lorca being rescued or Saru being captain. Maybe Burnham's attempts sacrifice grants her a reprieve from prison. Or something completely different.
Really… I wouldn't be surprised if it just ends and doesn't really give us much resolution or denouement.

MarkB

Legend
Well, that was... breathtaking. An incredibly action-packed episode which gave several of the main cast a chance to shine. Fight sequences really well done, fast pacing, and some nice character moments for Michael and Emperor Phillipa.

Lorca was something of a disappointment, seemingly reverting to more-or-less standard villain mode as soon as his identity was confirmed, but he served well enough in that capacity. They did seem to renege on the apparent Stamets body-swap that was suggested in the previous episode, which is a little puzzling, but made up for by the direction his story took in this episode.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So is it just one episode left?

They're 9 months in the future and the Klingons have won the war. So I'm guessing some time travel is coming.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
So is it just one episode left?

They're 9 months in the future and the Klingons have won the war. So I'm guessing some time travel is coming.

That would be my guess. Wouldn't be Trek without time travel, after all.

I was mostly OK with the episode, but it escalated the stakes a bit beyond my comfort level. The death of all life in all manifolds of the multi-verse? That is way to big of a potential impact. And unnecessary ... they could have limited the effect to our region of both galaxies and it would have been big enough.

And it seemed to rush through the dark side story all too quickly. They basically crippled the Terran Empire in just a couple of episodes, including the deaths of major parallel characters. It was all too quick for me.

I half expected the guy who interfaces with the network to be pulled into the network as a consequence of the last jump.

Thx!
TomB

Hussar

Legend

I was mostly OK with the episode, but it escalated the stakes a bit beyond my comfort level. The death of all life in all manifolds of the multi-verse? That is way to big of a potential impact. And unnecessary ... they could have limited the effect to our region of both galaxies and it would have been big enough.

And it seemed to rush through the dark side story all too quickly. They basically crippled the Terran Empire in just a couple of episodes, including the deaths of major parallel characters. It was all too quick for me.

I half expected the guy who interfaces with the network to be pulled into the network as a consequence of the last jump.

Thx!
TomB

I wonder if the "rushed" feeling isn't due to the fact that this is a lot shorter of a season than we're used to. It's only 15 (?) episodes as opposed to 22-25 from previous series. Which does cut down a lot of the side stuff that we saw in earlier Trek.

I know people have complained about how we haven't spent much time on other characters, but, again, when your season is 10 hours shorter than what we had before, you really can't spend a lot of time on other characters.

I wonder if they'll go to a full length season in the future if the show proves successful for ABC.

Well, that was... breathtaking. An incredibly action-packed episode which gave several of the main cast a chance to shine. Fight sequences really well done, fast pacing, and some nice character moments for Michael and Emperor Phillipa.
I was quite happy we got to have the small moments from the bridge crew, who up until now have effectively been extras.

Hopefully in the second season they can expand them out and give them each an episode to shine. Maybe even personalities and backstories...

I found that annoying.

They teased immediately that the spore network could propel people through time by shunting them into future for a needless cliffhanger. Because despite Discovery almost single-handedly winning the war twice before, apparently they need to do so again.
We know the Klingons aren't going to win. That's a given. Prequel and all. The stakes aren't really there. But aside from that, teasing that they jumped ahead nine months strips some of the drama away as the obvious "reset button" solution is sitting right there.

How they can win is still a mystery. The Klingons were winning already until the Discovery stepped in with the jump drive. Then cloaking turned the tide back to Starfleet. Then Discovery managed to bypass the cloaking, but itself vanished. The Federation was now doubly screwed. So the war was lost again.
Now we need to have them spend an episode getting back in time and another where they win the war.
This assumes they didn't share the way to overcome the cloak with Starfleet before being sucked into the Mirror Universe. Which I believe was mentioned on the show. Despite, apparently, sending the critically injured Admiral to a starbase in a shuttle. (If they were close enough for a shuttle to seem viable as an emergency vehicle, why did they need a spore drive jump?) Which begs the question, why they didn't transmit the data, or send it with the Admiral?

But even if they do jump back in time (and I imagine getting enough spores to do so will be the trick and the focus of the next episode or so) and share the cloak nullifying tech, the Klingons were still winning the war without that. Hopefully the show remembers to explain this and doesn't just have the spore-less Discovery bringing the secrets of revealing cloaked ships as the war winning move.

Ahhh the spore network's mystical BS. My least favourite bit about Discovery.
Really, just having the spore network itself die would have been enough drama. It would trap them in another universe and cause the deaths of an entire galactic ecosystem. That *should* be enough.

I wonder if the "rushed" feeling isn't due to the fact that this is a lot shorter of a season than we're used to. It's only 15 (?) episodes as opposed to 22-25 from previous series. Which does cut down a lot of the side stuff that we saw in earlier Trek.

I know people have complained about how we haven't spent much time on other characters, but, again, when your season is 10 hours shorter than what we had before, you really can't spend a lot of time on other characters.

I wonder if they'll go to a full length season in the future if the show proves successful for ABC.
I think the "rushed" feel has as much to do with the crazy epic scope. This whole season has been two giant stories that could have been unpacked into full seasons or multi-season arcs. Discovery's use of the spore drive to turn the tide of the war largely happens between episodes. The Klingon's turning it back with cloaking devices again happens between episodes. They told the story of a year-long war in five episodes. That could have been the entire season (or even series) with smaller side stories as tonal breaks and various exciting missions.
Jumping to the Mirror Universe for four episodes is another pretty giant storyarc that, again, takes a previously seen element of the series (the Terran Empire) and turns up the scope to 11. We see the Emperor and they die. There's a mass revolution. The entire politics of the universe is upended.

I think if they had another 5 to 8 or so episodes... we'd just see yet another big plot. I don't think they would have paused to unpack things. Honestly... I wonder if things wouldn't have been better had they focused entirely on Klingons this season and saved the Mirror Universe for season 2...

They're probably saving that for when they jump to the past.

After all, they need some way of removing the Spore Drive from the story now that they've removed the problems of it torturing tardigrades to death, and the mental side effects were really being caused by the corruption of the network by Mirror Stamets.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
I think if they had another 5 to 8 or so episodes... we'd just see yet another big plot. I don't think they would have paused to unpack things. Honestly... I wonder if things wouldn't have been better had they focused entirely on Klingons this season and saved the Mirror Universe for season 2...

Additional text omitted. I was just thinking the same thing. The Mirror Universe story line seems to fit better as a followup to the war with the Kingons.

Or, they could have had the Mirror Universe be a smaller story element: Having them chase Lorca to the Empress, who defeats him then sends them back would have been a fine one episode plot. Or they could do that, but it would be a tease for Season 2.

Thx!
TomB

Remove ads