Discovery Trailer

I kinda hoped the Lorca theories would be wrong, since it kinda undermines the appeal of the character (though it might at least help some fans sleep easier over Discovery?).
Worse, however, it could mean that Isaacs doesn't stick around.

MarkB

Legend
Wow. What an episode!

So, the Lorca theories were all correct. He's the evil Mirror Universe Lorca.

I'm hoping we get to see the USS Defiant next week.

I can't think of a good reason why the Defiant would still be operational. It's over a hundred years old at this point, even if it wasn't completely stripped down and reverse-engineered. At best, it's mothballed somewhere as a trophy.

Either way, it's not a particularly noteworthy vessel in either universe at this point in the timeline. The Mirror Universe has caught up technologically, and back in the prime universe there have been Constitution-class vessels in service for several years now.

Aexalon

Explorer
How’s the Defiant a hundred years old?

Because while the Tholian Web incident in which the USS Defiant switched universes was in 2268, the ship ended up in 2155 in the Mirror Universe, 113 years into the past. It was there found by Captain Archer of the ISS Enterprise, and soon after fell into the hands of Hoshi Sato, who successfully leveraged the ship's superior technology in her bid to become Empress of the Terran Empire.

Now, in 2256 the USS Discovery wound up in the Mirror Universe without any timeshift that we're aware of, meaning that the Defiant they're looking for has been in the Mirror Universe for about 101 years.

I kinda hoped the Lorca theories would be wrong, since it kinda undermines the appeal of the character (though it might at least help some fans sleep easier over Discovery?).
Worse, however, it could mean that Isaacs doesn't stick around.
I have mixed feelings about it.

It does mean that a Starfleet officer did not leave a civilian to be tortured. Which is glorious. That was a reprehensible act that was far, far beyond the pale. That action would have been dark for a Colonial Officer in Battlestar Galactica...

But it also really strips away the complexity from the character. Lorca is no longer the tortured survivor of a Klingon attack suffering from PTSD and a survivor's guilt who is being driven to win the war. Instead... he's just evil.

It also means Lorca is unlikely to learn a lesson. He's not going to have to face the consequences of his actions and the cost of winning the war. He's not going to be held accountable for betraying an Admiral, or forced to question defeating the Klingons at the risk of losing what the Federation stands for.
The entire morality that should have been the spine of Discovery suddenly falls flat. Because instead he was just eeeeevil.
Without the morality, what's the point of the show? It's just empty spectacle.

It does emphasise Alex Kurtzman's weaknesses as a writer (and showrunner). He tried to pull a Shyamalan twist in Into Darkness, which everyone saw coming. So he lied and said "nuh-uh" and tried to deflect away from Khan. And now again he really, really wants there to be a twist in the series. Which many views saw coming a mile away, and the entire time was all "nuh-uh" and tried to deflect away from Voq/Tyler and Mirror Lorca.
He really wants this show to be his Game of Thrones with surprise deaths and unexpected twists, but it's "shocks" are all so cliche the only surprising bit was the look of the Klingons... To say nothing of the poorly handled fridging of one-half of the first openly gay couple in Star Trek.

CapnZapp

Legend
I have mixed feelings about it.

It does mean that a Starfleet officer did not leave a civilian to be tortured. Which is glorious. That was a reprehensible act that was far, far beyond the pale. That action would have been dark for a Colonial Officer in Battlestar Galactica...

But it also really strips away the complexity from the character. Lorca is no longer the tortured survivor of a Klingon attack suffering from PTSD and a survivor's guilt who is being driven to win the war. Instead... he's just evil.

It also means Lorca is unlikely to learn a lesson. He's not going to have to face the consequences of his actions and the cost of winning the war. He's not going to be held accountable for betraying an Admiral, or forced to question defeating the Klingons at the risk of losing what the Federation stands for.
The entire morality that should have been the spine of Discovery suddenly falls flat. Because instead he was just eeeeevil.

It does emphasise Alex Kurtzman's weaknesses as a writer (and showrunner). He tried to pull a Shyamalan twist in Into Darkness, which everyone saw coming. So he lied and said "nuh-uh" and tried to deflect away from Khan. And now again he really, really wants there to be a twist in the series. Which many views saw coming a mile away, and the entire time was all "nuh-uh" and tried to deflect away from Voq/Tyler and Mirror Lorca.
He really wants this show to be his Game of Thrones with surprise deaths and unexpected twists, but it's "shocks" are all so cliche the only surprising bit was the look of the Klingons... To say nothing of the poorly handled fridging of one-half of the first openly gay couple in Star Trek.
Agreed.

I've given up on this show.

Might return for a season 2 where the ship finally gets a proper bridge crew that trusts each other, works together, and where problems are solved by cooperation and optimism.

You know, like Star Trek.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Mallus

Legend
I'm disappointed by this turn, too. I wanted Lorca to be either a Starfleet officer gone over-the-edge because of the war and PTSD, or as a Mirror Universe's version of an idealist captain, which happens to be indistinguishable from a Prime Universe officer gone over-the-edge. Looks like he's neither. However...

... This is all true, if you view Lorca as one of the protagonists. But since it looks like he's merely the villain, then his arc (and his interiority) becomes less relevant. Discovery is not his story; it's Burnham's and Saru's and Stamets's and Tilly's, etc. All the Prime Universe Starfleet officers who went along with Lorca's actions. They're the ones who'll learn the lessons. The drama and morality hang on them and how they deal the Lorca reveal. I think we see this is where the show's going in the trailer for this week's ep., with Saru saying something to the effect of "Now we take Discovery back!".

Lorca's the plot, somewhat disguised by the fact he's prolly the best and most charismatic actor on the show.

It does emphasise Alex Kurtzman's weaknesses as a writer (and showrunner). He tried to pull a Shyamalan twist in Into Darkness, which everyone saw coming.
Let me say (again) I really wish Fuller would have stuck around. I think he could have pulled a lot of what the creative team attempted to do in a more satisfying manner. Or at least a more coherent one.

I'm still in, though. Discovery still surprises me in a way I didn't expect, and I'm not talking about the big twists, here, more the overall structure of the show & it's themes. It's exciting!

Last edited:

I'm disappointed by this turn, too. I wanted Lorca to be either a Starfleet officer gone over-the-edge because of the war and PTSD, or as a Mirror Universe's version of an idealist captain, which happens to be indistinguishable from a Prime Universe officer gone over-the-edge. Looks like he's neither. However...

... This is all true, if you view Lorca as one of the protagonists. But since it looks like he's merely the villain, then his arc (and his interiority) becomes less relevant. Discovery is not his story; it's Burnham's and Saru's and Stamets's and Tilly's, etc. All the Prime Universe Starfleet officers who went along with Lorca's actions. They're the ones who'll learn the lessons. The drama and morality hang on them and how they deal the Lorca reveal. I think we see this is where the show's going in the trailer for this week's ep., with Saru
saying something to the effect of "Now we take Discovery back!".

Lorca's the plot, somewhat disguised by the fact he's prolly the best and most charismatic actor on the show.

Let me say (again) I really wish Fuller would have stuck around. I think he could have pulled a lot of what the creative team attempted to do in a more satisfying manner. Or at least a more coherent one.

I'm still in, though. Discovery still surprises me in a way I didn't expect, and I'm not talking about the big twists, here, more the overall structure of the show & it's themes. It's exciting!

I am not sure what was agreed on in the thread, but I recommend avoiding putting content from trailers and previews outside spoiler blocks.

One thing to consider is that the Empress of the Terran EMpire isn't really a trustworthy person either. So maybe it's a fight of two evils, but maybe one of them really is the lesser, and it doesn't have to be Georgiu.

I think story-wise it can really go either way.

Burnham is naturally inclined to trust Georgiu because of her experiences with the Prime one - and betraying her will feel extra difficult, because she betrayed her once already and she deeply regrets that. But maybe that is really what she has to do (either to succeed in her mission, or because it is the morally better option).
But of course, Burnham also has betrayed her Captain for the wrong reasons, so betraying her new Captain - Lorca - might be a way to finally do it for the right reasons.

Either way, I always figured that at the end of the season, she would have to commit a mutiny again, but his time, it would be the right thing to do.

Remove ads