Discussion - General Discussion Thread '09

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Would love to run a game in LEW but it has alot of rules involed in even submitting a request and then you maybe denied. But my main question is why is there a shortage with all the games going on in Playing the Game is there a LEW crowd and an others crowd??

HM

Theroc

First Post
Would love to run a game in LEW but it has alot of rules involed in even submitting a request and then you maybe denied. But my main question is why is there a shortage with all the games going on in Playing the Game is there a LEW crowd and an others crowd??

HM

LEW is it's own homebrew. Those making games in Playing the Game have their own homebrews in mind for their games, therefore they make them over there.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
- The hoops aren't as bad as you think; they're there to try to prevent things like the MA from happening.
- The all LEW games are in this forum; non-LEW games are in Talking the Talk/Playing the Game. So there isn't a "crowd" per se, just an organizational thing (its easier to find them).
- Yes, there are more games in Playing the Game than in LEW (or LEB or L4W). But... many of those die w/o warning w/ no way to continue your character. The living games are insulated from that (that was their initial design purpose).

I play living and non-living games.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
That's what I mean I guess are their no DM's because of the limits set by EnWorld, I thought I read if you added something in it was offical 'kind of' That everyone was building the world together?

I am giving the Dm rules the once over again (between refrehing lol) So look out for an adventure if it's accepted.

HM

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
- - Yes, there are more games in Playing the Game than in LEW (or LEB or L4W). But... many of those die w/o warning w/ no way to continue your character. The living games are insulated from that (that was their initial design purpose).

That's what I'm attracted to about LEW keeping the character going I believe in the Playing the Game side when the adventure is over then it's all over right at least some games are like that.

Reading the hoops will be jumping shortly.

HM

Velmont

First Post
I think the main reason why there is no DM here anymore, it is most people have switch to 4e and are less willing to master in LEW. Also, LEW limit to SRD while most people who still use 3.5 prefer to use all the books, as the main advantage for a DM to run an adventure in 3.5, it is the number of sourcebook. (Well, I think).

Personally, I find easier to create and run a 4e game than a 3.5 game.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
That's why I suggested the hybird rules add a little more maybe even a little at a time to give people more leway[sp?] Maybe keep character gen and all the rules the samer but let DM's use other source books for NPC's monsters and spells

What about that anyone think that would help a little??

HM

orsal

LEW Judge

I wouldn't worry about an adventure proposal being rejected -- I don't recall that ever happening. What might happen is that judges will have issues with specific points. Maybe your proposal includes a detail that conflicts with established Enworld geography. Then we'll demand minor changes to make it consistent. Or maybe we just have further questions -- something we'd like to know that isn't in your original submission. We'll ask, and you'll answer, and then we'll approve.

I'm not sure what you mean by "a lot of rules involved in even submitting a request". We require an outline. That's not a lot, and we've approved some very scant proposals (although in some cases, in retrospect, I wish we had asked more questions first...) We're not picky about the adventure proposal conforming to the standard format, although the standard format does tell you what we'll be looking for.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
read those rules the first day i was here maybe thats why it "seemed like a lot"

I was just an overwhelmed newbie (and still is)

I will have a proposal but shouldn't it be opened ended for lvl who knows what characters will take and sign on?

HM

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
There are essentially no hard rules for what a DM does in his own game. We want games to be consistent with the world we've collaboratively created, out of respect for the community, and we generally want to avoid things like world-ending scenarios, but other than that, DMs can do basically whatever they want.

Mind Flayers aren't open material. But if you want to use them in your game, please do! DMs can have any kind of monster, from any material, and have NPCs with levels in classes from any source book. Want to run a published adventure? Go for it! The judges will help you put into the context of our world, and then you can run with it.

In your own game, you, the DM, make the rules. The adventure approval process and the judges are here to help keep the world mostly consistent and mostly balanced, not to stifle creativity and scare away potential DMs.

When I've submitted adventures, I've gotten nothing but positive feedback, and sometimes some inspiration that made my adventures even better. Think of the living world as a springboard for your ideas, rather than a spell of planar binding.

The bureaucracy is incredibly loose, so don't let the proposal deter you. As long as you have some sort of plan for scaling the adventure, we will approve a wide range of levels. Even if you have doubts, send what you have our way, and we'll work out the kinks together.

Gods willing, soon we'll finally get some of those no-good, gambling fools out of the inn and on the road.

Remove ads