Discussion - General Discussion Thread '09

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
You said we could use a published adventure how would that work would one of the approving judges need to have it

(I have a stack of old Dungeon mags so watch out)

But the more generic modules are the ones from Goodman Games I like those the most.

HM

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
goodman games is a great source! I must say, in my humble opinion, the more SRD/OGL content thee module would have, the more likely I would see the judges approving it.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
goodman games is a great source! I must say, in my humble opinion, the more SRD/OGL content thee module would have, the more likely I would see the judges approving it.

Then just email the judge with the module name and a summary of what it contains? Or hope they have it lol

HM

Trouvere

Explorer
I agree. It doesn't matter so much if an adventure has an unusual monster so long as you can be absolutely sure it will be safely dead by the end of it!

But the weirder it is, the closer to Orussus it's found, or if there'll be more than one of them about, then the more important it is, I feel, that it's something whose stats other DMs have a chance of finding. An adventure that establishes that a great many mlarrauns sun themselves on the baked roads just out of town in summer wouldn't be doing anyone any favours, I expect.

For that matter, if Orussus and surroundings are to remain a safe enough place for 1st level PCs to gain their spurs, then the nastier a monster, the further away from Orussus it should be located, in my opinion, unless it is extremely immobile.

orsal

LEW Judge
Regarding non-core monsters: the question I as judge would ask is, "If X is found in Y, is it plausible that we're unlikely ever to encounter more of them?" If you propose an infestation of some kind of monster that threatens to overrun the world, that's something we'd all have to deal with, and if the monster isn't found in the SRD (or at least in the Monster Manual), we can't. But if your adventure revolves around a single specimen of some really exotic creature found somewhere north of Rivenblight, well, that's not going to establish anything that would tie anyone else's hands, so the creature could be just about anything.

Now, as far as published material: an adventure needs to be approved by two judges, and judges have complete latitude do decide how much they need to know to approve. But let me cite as a warning what happened last time we had such a proposal. One judge immediately declared he was fine with it, sight unseen, because published modules from major game designers are as a rule well playtested. The second judge (me), insisted on more information. I got a list of encounters and treasure, and against my better judgement decided to accept that, without any information about how it would all be strung together. All was well, until the DM disappeared. I, as judge, am now runing the adventure, and doing it by the seat of my pants. In retrospect, my advice to my fellow judges is: do not approve an adventure unless you know enough to take over the helm in an emergency. I know I wouldn't. (Well, I might offer the second approval if the first judge to approve also pledged to judge the adventure and reassured me that (s)he could take it over if need be.)

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Alright then I'll do a breakdown of the adventure email (who?? two judges thought there was only one doing adventure approvals)

And I did read somewhere that a judge need experience emailed to them:

"After the group is filled and the adventure thread starts, the DM will need to record all awards information as the thread progresses. After every point where experience should be awarded, the DM needs to email the judge that has offered to watch their game with this information. The judge will keep these notes on experience and treasure, and will use them to award the party at the end of the adventure (or if the adventure ends prematurely). This is done because it is very important that the judges have ready access to the DM’s notes in order to deal with a missing DM or other problem." end quote

How much info and how do I get people interested pm them first??

Sorry to be a bother, always like getting it right on the first try

HM

Trouvere

Explorer
Alright then I'll do a breakdown of the adventure email (who?? two judges thought there was only one doing adventure approvals)
Bottom of the first post here:

Remove ads