(Discussion) General Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Goblin King

First Post
Its possible I have simply forgotten but I don't recall anyone ever asking how big ENWorld is. I have turned it over in my head and I think the best way to approach the problem is to decide how long it should take to go from one side to the other. Assumeing 30 miles a day without having to stop and go around stuff how long should it take to move from the tower of Water to the tower of Fire?

I was thinking that four years would be a good number. That would give the hex 43,800 miles diameter. Plenty big enough to put anything we could possibly think of into it. :)

Creamsteak

Explorer
I'd like it if the world had the same diameter across as your world has circumference at the equator. Don't know how realistic that is, and if the origin stories told by some of the gods are true it would mean enworld came from a planet with much more density and gravity than earth...

orsal

LEW Judge
Creamsteak said:
I'd like it if the world had the same diameter across as your world has circumference at the equator. Don't know how realistic that is, and if the origin stories told by some of the gods are true it would mean enworld came from a planet with much more density and gravity than earth...

If by "your world" you mean "earth" (and it seems a strange way to refer to it, since unless there's something I don't know about you it's your world as much as ours...), circumference is is 40,000 km, or 25,000 miles. So a little over half as large as The Goblin King suggested, two to two and a half years to walk across. Seems reasonable to me.

Creamsteak

Explorer
orsal said:
If by "your world" you mean "earth" (and it seems a strange way to refer to it, since unless there's something I don't know about you it's your world as much as ours...), circumference is is 40,000 km, or 25,000 miles. So a little over half as large as The Goblin King suggested, two to two and a half years to walk across. Seems reasonable to me.
I'm so tempted to delete this post...

Pbartender

First Post
Considering the recent experience with dueling, I think I'm going to type up some guidelines concerning open combat within the city of Orussus. Consider it a way for me to make up for a certain degree of unprofessional behavior I displayed in a certain thread...

Upon reflection, there are ways to improve and standardize the city's reation to such an event.

Last edited:

El Jefe

First Post
While we're at it, just what do we all know about Orussus? I mean, like what kind of government does it have, what sorts of peoples populate it, what are the local landmarks (besides the Red Dragon, of course), what sort of guilds or secret societies operate there, etc., etc. It seems to me like there's a lot of cool stuff that could be developed for this.

Maybe the first place to start would be some sort of map? Or maybe a history, something that explains why there is a city here (I'm suspecting that a fine natural port had a lot to do with this...)

The Goblin King

First Post
Here is what I have for the city. The first part is my own embellishment, the last was created by CS.

An ancient city that lies at the center of the world. It relies on trade to prosper which is provided in spades due to its location at the nexus of several land and sea trade routes. The docks streach like fingers into its large sheltered bay. The climate is warm with very gentle winters. One major attraction is the [Red Dragon Inn]. Many an adventure has started there.
Like most ancient cities it is built upon the bones of long gone cities. The large sewer system was inherited from the previous settlement and could provide service for a city twice the size of Orussus. As such there are hundreds of ways in and out of the city one can use without being seen. The sewers are far from safe however as they are inhabited by bandits, thieves and even the occassional fell creature. As one goes deeper and deeper underground the architecture become more obviously crafted by non-humans.

The High Court of Orussus sits on a stepped marble base on the northwest corner of the city. In front of the facility is a granite statue of a massive dwarf weilding a huge spiked club in his left hand as if the man was dragging it behind him. The statue is labled, "In the name of Morg, In Service of Orussus." The court itself is a huge granite work originally a temple for a bastion of good-aligned minotaurs that ruled this region hundreds of years ago. The massive doors, meant to impress even a giants stature, are a sign to their history. The only religious symbols that adorn this simple location now are that of the horn-like columns that act as the superstructure for the domed building, and the statement across the dome written in giant, "Honor be damned, we live to be free."

Pbartender

First Post
Hrm... I don't rmember that one... Wish I'd seen it earlier.

"Honor be damned, we live to be free," gives a much different connotation to the city's style of law enforcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads