(Discussion) General Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Otu

First Post
Me==Idiot.

Proposals - If you want me to look at your proposals, e-mail me. There aren't many currently on the front page, but if I start commenting on the ones currently there, there would again be quite a flood. E-mail me, and I'll tell you my thoughts after a look. It would be best to keep a record of this conversations in the first post of the thread, to have a clear idea of the changes made.

Pbartender

First Post
El Jefe said:
While we're at it, just what do we all know about Orussus? I mean, like what kind of government does it have, what sorts of peoples populate it, what are the local landmarks (besides the Red Dragon, of course), what sort of guilds or secret societies operate there, etc., etc. It seems to me like there's a lot of cool stuff that could be developed for this.

Maybe the first place to start would be some sort of map? Or maybe a history, something that explains why there is a city here (I'm suspecting that a fine natural port had a lot to do with this...)

Speaking of maps... I just ran across the map as a free download from WotC's webpages. The compass rose needs to be re-aligned, but I thought It'd work pretty well as a basis for Orussus.

Attachments

• four-pc.gif
    four-pc.gif
    158.6 KB · Views: 234

Creamsteak

Explorer
Pbartender said:
Hrm... I don't rmember that one... Wish I'd seen it earlier.

"Honor be damned, we live to be free," gives a much different connotation to the city's style of law enforcement.

I've always imagined Orussus as a society ruled by a very strict courts system that controls virtually anything going on in the city, but they put such a high value on their own freedoms, personal freedoms, religious freedoms, free trade, and freedoms of expression that the law itself is founded in these values. Though the ruling parties might be considered mostly lawful neutral, and the legal system is supposed to be quite a pain for merchants and such, they don't press the same degree of control on personal liberties and rights.

That said, attempting to kill someone should still have dire consequences...

Creamsteak

Explorer
Pbartender said:
Speaking of maps... I just ran across the map as a free download from WotC's webpages. The compass rose needs to be re-aligned, but I thought It'd work pretty well as a basis for Orussus.

Looks very workable, though I always imagined Orussus as a walled (not a fortress by any means, but walled) city. I imagined city gates would sit on each road as well.

The Goblin King

First Post
Pbartender said:

I would give it a shot but my monitor is currently fried. :( Right now I'm surfing the forums in monochrome.

orsal

LEW Judge
characters adopting each other's causes?

An issue has come up that I think requires an LEW rules clarification. Those of you following the duel thread (and since there are about 17 views per post in that thread, more than for any other IC thread, I know that a lot of us are) will know that a player has stated his intention to have future characters of his carry on a vendetta on behalf of a possibly-soon-dead character.

Is this legal? What exactly does our policy against characters of the same player getting too involved together entail, and what are the limits? Even if one character is dead before the other one picks up his torch, given that it's a cause that a random character wouldn't be likely to take up, it strikes me as a little inappropriate. What are other people's thoughts, especially Judges' about this?

Pbartender

First Post
Creamsteak said:
Looks very workable, though I always imagined Orussus as a walled (not a fortress by any means, but walled) city. I imagined city gates would sit on each road as well.

The Goblin King said:
I would give it a shot but my monitor is currently fried. :( Right now I'm surfing the forums in monochrome.

I've downloaded autorealm also, GK, so maybe I'll give it a shot this week if I've got some free time. It'd be easy enough to add in a wall around at least part of the city.

Pbartender

First Post
Creamsteak said:
I've always imagined Orussus as a society ruled by a very strict courts system that controls virtually anything going on in the city, but they put such a high value on their own freedoms, personal freedoms, religious freedoms, free trade, and freedoms of expression that the law itself is founded in these values. Though the ruling parties might be considered mostly lawful neutral, and the legal system is supposed to be quite a pain for merchants and such, they don't press the same degree of control on personal liberties and rights.

That said, attempting to kill someone should still have dire consequences...

I'd imagined the town to be similar to an old-west frontier town, a typical port-town, or a college dormatory... with the authorities turning a blind eye toward those that are discreet about their illicit dealings, but coming down very hard on those who flaunt their illegalities.

El Jefe

First Post
An ancient city that lies at the center of the world.
The High Court of Orussus sits on a stepped marble base on the northwest corner of the city.

Great stuff, exactly what I was looking for, and perhaps something that needs to go in a sticky or a separate thread in the archivomatic or something like that.

And for Pbartender:

I like the look of the map, and if you rotate it 90 degrees and swap north for south on the compass rose, it does work. However, a couple of things:

Counting buildings, I get the impression that the city on the map has a population of about 2-3000. Somehow, I thought Orussus was bigger than that.

Second, if you use that map, the building that seems to lend itself most to being the High Court of Orussus is the big red one that would be at the northeast corner of the city, not the northwest corner. You'd either have to move the (former) temple, or GK would have to change the description of the court. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads