• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Discussion) General Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Otu

First Post
OK, I guess that I'm interested in joining... I do still have a few questions though (and that after having the crazy idea to read through the discussion threads... guess the best thing I got out of it was seeing that Skezzketh has a bit of LEW fame... ;))

1 - Just how finalized is the map yet? I can't seem to find the preliminary map anymore, but to the sw is the tower of air, surrounded by badlands, right? Could I have a character come from there, from a loose federation of semi-nomadic tribes/clans with a few cities, with a little elemental background (such as legends of djinn/efreet ancestors)?

2 - A little village in hilly regions near Orussus should be no problem (maybe if I want to call it Otun ;)), but what if I want the option that there might be some secret in the village - say a temple to a nameless god, with a door that hasn't been opened in centuries because everyone who explored it in the past never returned?

3 - Player created material. I've seen that it caused a bit of controversity, so are there currently any limits?

4 - Ahem, err... You all know by now that I'm crazy, so I'll say it directly... I have two character ideas, and if possible, I don't want to have to choose between the two. :eek: :eek: I know that two characters may not be in the same location at the same time and may not interact, but what about the tavern? The same I guess? (meaning there has to be a gap to introducing the characters)

Of course, to regain sanity a bit, maybe I should start with a single character...:heh:

Guess that's all all for now...

Creamsteak

Explorer
Sorry about that. I also need to see about this game that's been hooked up, my apologies to both.

Knight Otu said:
1 - Just how finalized is the map yet? I can't seem to find the preliminary map anymore, but to the sw is the tower of air, surrounded by badlands, right? Could I have a character come from there, from a loose federation of semi-nomadic tribes/clans with a few cities, with a little elemental background (such as legends of djinn/efreet ancestors)?

Scorpio has not finalized the map, I believe.

2 - A little village in hilly regions near Orussus should be no problem (maybe if I want to call it Otun ;)), but what if I want the option that there might be some secret in the village - say a temple to a nameless god, with a door that hasn't been opened in centuries because everyone who explored it in the past never returned?

None of this sounds problematic, though it will need to be approved if you run an adventure around it.

3 - Player created material. I've seen that it caused a bit of controversity, so are there currently any limits?

You have to create it yourself, and the better it can fit into a traditional fantasy game the more likely it appears that it will be approved.

4 - Ahem, err... You all know by now that I'm crazy, so I'll say it directly... I have two character ideas, and if possible, I don't want to have to choose between the two. :eek: :eek: I know that two characters may not be in the same location at the same time and may not interact, but what about the tavern? The same I guess? (meaning there has to be a gap to introducing the characters)

Theres no official restrictions, but it would be best if your only posting as 1 character in a given thread to prevent confusion.

Knight Otu

First Post
Creamsteak said:
Sorry about that. I also need to see about this game that's been hooked up, my apologies to both.
No problem, I have seen your sig so I know there are other things on your mind. :)

Creamsteak said:
None of this sounds problematic, though it will need to be approved if you run an adventure around it.
OK, though my idea was more that the character would later be interested in examining this, which, as I understand, would at the very least require me to find a DM willing to do this.

Thanks for the answers! :) At least for one of the characters, there doesn't seem to be any problems (aside from character judge approval).

Other Guy

First Post
Hi, :). I’m new to all of this, so please bear with me. I’m looking to make a character for LEW and want to know if there’s anyplace I can check out for info about the setting, geography, house rules (new feats/skills/classes/whatever approved by judges), or history of this campaign world without having to sift through all the threads. This is all so massive, I can’t help but feel overwhelmed. :confused:

Also, the character I want to make will have studied in a military academy that specializes in magic (basically on the path to an Eldritch Knight), and as such would have gained knowledge of warfare, battlefield strategies/tactics, and the like and I don’t see anything in the core rules for this. So, a few questions:

Would a new skill, something like Knowledge (warfare) be acceptable?

If not, can someone suggest a way to go about this with the core rules?

Does any place exist in LEW that would work for the academy, or should I make something up?

Referring to before, is there any place to go for condensed LEW info? I see there’s an unfinished map that hasn’t been posted yet.

Steve Jung

Explorer
Other Guy said:
Hi, :). I’m new to all of this, so please bear with me. I’m looking to make a character for LEW and want to know if there’s anyplace I can check out for info about the setting, geography, house rules (new feats/skills/classes/whatever approved by judges), or history of this campaign world without having to sift through all the threads. This is all so massive, I can’t help but feel overwhelmed. :confused:

Also, the character I want to make will have studied in a military academy that specializes in magic (basically on the path to an Eldritch Knight), and as such would have gained knowledge of warfare, battlefield strategies/tactics, and the like and I don’t see anything in the core rules for this. So, a few questions:

If not, can someone suggest a way to go about this with the core rules?

Does any place exist in LEW that would work for the academy, or should I make something up?

Referring to before, is there any place to go for condensed LEW info? I see there’s an unfinished map that hasn’t been posted yet.
Have you checked out the sticky threads? http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61321 is a good start. I'm not sure if an academy exists now, but I think you're free to make one up if you want. Welcome aboard. :)

orsal

LEW Judge
Other Guy said:

I don't see why not, although I suppose technically it does need formal judge approval. Given that the knowledge skills aren't described in a lot of detail, what you've just posted here should probably be enough to count as a proposal.

Other Guy said:

Make up a name, keeping it sufficiently generic (don't specify geographic co-ordinates) that you'll be assured of a place to plug it in once the map is available.

Other Guy said:

Unfortunately, organizing about nine months work of world creation is a project that the judges are still working on.

Knight Otu

First Post
Other Guy said:
I'm quite sure that a Knowledge (warfare) skill was discussed in the first discussion thread. I think every one was in favour of having such a skill, but as far as I remember, none of the three proposed versions was selected as being official. But then again, I'm neither judge nor DM, so there could be.

OK, my character Semabin has been approved, so I guess that it would be good to post a few bits about Sairundan for approval. Would that be a (Proposal) thread? I don't think it should directly into the Atlas/Almanac thread.

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
'Twas I that brought up knowledge: warfare way back when and you are correct, nothing was decided upon. There was some talk of picking up the Warcraft d20 system, but nothing ever came of it (and considering what we decided(?) about non-OGL content, and are still arguing about non-SRD content, it's just as well).

My character is running around with knowledge: war*; I doubt it will kill anyone if yours does too. :)

*Although she's more currently sitting in limbo than running around. Nudge nudge, Slaying the Dreamer, nudge. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads