• I'll be in my bunk (Yes)

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • Serenity Curry

Votes: 11 21.2%

Dioltach

Legend
Best to steer clear from the original crew and their story. It's not like the Battlestar Galactica reboot, which took a good idea that was poorly executed and made it much, much better - even decades later, Firefly still has a solid fanbase who feel very strongly about the show and the characters. But I think there's plenty of the 'Verse left to explore: before or during the Unification War, during the same timeframe as the original series, after the movie. Loads of locations and strong characters. Loads of stories waiting to be told.

BrokenTwin

Biological Disaster
I loved Firefly, but I'm sick of watching Disney dredge up the corpses of old stories to soullessly wring them for profit. Firefly was worth it because of its heart (the humanity and chemistry between the main cast). The setting was set dressing for us to watch the family of Serenity.
I don't want to see Disney's generic spit shined version. Although to be fair, they might actually correct the blatant issue the series had of the massive lack of Asian actors both in the background and the extended cast.
But ultimately, I'm one person, and Disney making another version of Firefly isn't going to affect my fond memories of the original unless I let them.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I mean...Disney is doing a ton of new shows in the Star Wars universe; a show about a mismatched group of ex-Rebellion avoiding the Empire/First Order in the Outer Rim couldn't work?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Is this a good idea?

No.

Let me explain why, in multiple parts.

1. The original Firefly is basically "the Lost Cause" set to film. Once you see it as neo-Confederacy propaganda, unwitting or not, it's hard to unsee. It's basically a "space western" that is retelling the story of Confederate soldiers in the western frontier.

2. The dynamics of some of the show, especially between Malcolm and Inara (the Madonna/Harlot complex, etc.) and some of the River plot did not age well.

3. Some of Whedon's ideas for the future ... no, thank you.

I realize what I posted is pretty grim. And I say this is someone who genuinely likes Joss Whedon's work! And Firefly! But I don't need it rebooted. Any reboot will never recapture the magic of the original, which was largely the writing and the chemistry of the cast.

For those fans of Firefly- do you know how we got it? Because someone did something original. And every reboot is something that is not original.

TwoSix

Nobody is saying the premise doesn't work. We are saying that the premise isn't what led us to love Firefly in the first place.
Oh, I know. Since they can't reboot the cast, the only real reason to do a reboot is to maintain the general premise and the fictional universe, and I think the premise is more intriguing than the fictional universe. So why not just use the premise in the fictional universe they're already heavily invested in?

To be clear, I don't think this is a good idea. Great shows benefit from a particular alchemy between cast, crew, and writers at a particular moment in time, and it's not something that can just be recreated years later. (Look at Arrested Development!)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So why not just use the premise in the fictional universe they're already heavily invested in?

Because telling people it is a reboot of Firefly, but then setting it in the Star Wars Universe would seriously cheese fans off? If you wanted to do this, you'd not speak of it in terms of directly ripping off another show, even if you owned that other show.

TwoSix

Because telling people it is a reboot of Firefly, but then setting it in the Star Wars Universe would seriously cheese fans off? If you wanted to do this, you'd not speak of it in terms of directly ripping off another show, even if you owned that other show.
That's why they shouldn't do a reboot of Firefly! To clarify, I don't see why Disney would do a reboot of an IP when they're already investing heavily in a more valuable IP that has a lot of conceptual overlap.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
For those fans of Firefly- do you know how we got it? Because someone did something original. And every reboot is something that is not original.

So, there a point where that doesn't really hold, though. Taken to its logical conclusion, that means that every episode beyond the first in a series is something that's "not original". That is absurd, which means that it actually matters where you put the line between, "Continue to explore this premise," and, "Go try something new."

It seems to me to be fair to say that the original Firefly premise wasn't really explored much, such that there's a lot of "new" territory remaining in it, such that a lot of original material is possible in a reboot.

There's reasons to not do more Firefly. Lack of original story space isn't one of them.

Remove ads