• I'll be in my bunk (Yes)

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • Serenity Curry

Votes: 11 21.2%

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
1. The original Firefly is basically "the Lost Cause" set to film. Once you see it as neo-Confederacy propaganda, unwitting or not, it's hard to unsee. It's basically a "space western" that is retelling the story of Confederate soldiers in the western frontier.
There are similarities. But they're largely superficial since the Browncoats weren't fighting for a society based on exploitation of a whole race of people. I'm not necessarily going to knock someone being critical of the show because they found those similarities off-putting. But this is one of the few environments where a heavily western-style show and storytelling can work without actually being tainted by either slavery or colonialist warring against indigenous cultures.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Firefly couldn't get viewers when it was new. The whole reason it was cancelled. It didn't become really popular until after it was cancelled, and thus many fans became fans because suddenly here was a show not treated right by the execs, and it's easy to root for the underdog. Don't get me wrong, I like the show, but it's gonna have some serious challenges to do a reboot. Then you've got all the reasons already mentioned about why this is a bad idea. People will be expecting the original, comparing it to the original like it or not, and they will be disappointed.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
There are similarities. But they're largely superficial since the Browncoats weren't fighting for a society based on exploitation of a whole race of people.

Whedon created the series after reading The Killer Angels. I'd say that there are more than similarities.

It's never really stated what the Browncoats were fighting for, but yes, I would have been surprised if Joss had an episode where it was revealed that Mal was really a plantation slaver pining for the old days.

Again, I like Firefly, but it's definitely uncomfortable in parts.

Ryujin

Legend
They are terribly unlikely to get anything like the chemistry of the original, which was its real selling point. So, I don't expect this to turn out well.
Agreed. It was a thing of its time with a cast that worked incredibly well together, which is a hallmark of Wedon series. It's why he so frequently works with the same actor pool, over and over again. Capturing that again is very unlikely.

If someone wants to play in the same sandbox, without trying to directly recreate magic since past, is a completely different thing.

Sacrosanct

Legend
And you can forget about the original cast getting together, even for cameos. Some of them may just not do it for one reason or another, and you can believe Adam Baldwin won't be allowed anywhere near it (just imagine the backlash from fans if he did).

MGibster

Legend
Star Trek was cancelled in 1969 and we got Star Trek the Next Generation in 1987. Firefly was cancelled in 2002 so clearly it's time for Firefly: The Next Generation. Just picture a series set 75 years in the future with a cameo by an old, old Inara trying to sell the ship to some new young adventurer.

Okay, that's a terrible idea. I liked Firefly but it's been 18 years and it's just time to let it go. Two of the main characters are dead and one of the actors has passed away in real life.

Ryujin

Legend
Star Trek was cancelled in 1969 and we got Star Trek the Next Generation in 1987. Firefly was cancelled in 2002 so clearly it's time for Firefly: The Next Generation. Just picture a series set 75 years in the future with a cameo by an old, old Inara trying to sell the ship to some new young adventurer.

Okay, that's a terrible idea. I liked Firefly but it's been 18 years and it's just time to let it go. Two of the main characters are dead and one of the actors has passed away in real life.
Based on what was revealed in the cast reunion, there would be no "old, old Inara."

Remove ads