Disney rumour: a new Live Action “Black Cauldron”

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I have an aversion to the original on the level of suffering the Ralph Bakshi version of the Lord of the Rings
To me that's like saying because of the Bakshi LOTR I don't want Fantasy Films to produce another movie when they did an excellent job with One Flew over the Cuckoo's nest. Ultimately I think it's the people themselves that matter more than the label of the company.

and the more recent Peter Jackson Hobbit.
Now those execs that are responsible for the hobbit mess, getting rid of Del Toro and forcing a terrible timeline on Jackson and also forcing him to make 3 movies instead of 2 (or 1), should never be allowed to work on a film again regardless of what studio they work for.

I have no confidence that Disney could do the series justice, especially with the rate their live action remakes are going downhill.
This makes more sense to me, judging an upcoming projects by recent projects I can very much understand. Also, I've never bothered with the Live action remakes anyway. I never saw the point.

Stormonu

Legend
To me that's like saying because of the Bakshi LOTR I don't want Fantasy Films to produce another movie when they did an excellent job with One Flew over the Cuckoo's nest. Ultimately I think it's the people themselves that matter more than the label of the company.

This is more saying I hate Black Cauldron as much as I hate the Bakshi LOTR (which is pretty intense, as you can probably tell).

It's my confidence in Disney movies that's pretty low right now, primarily for their live action remakes of previous cartoons. Coupled with the fact I don't have confidence they could keep the somewhat dark tone of the books. It's been a while since I've seen the original (such negative memories I do have) that I found it laughable at the time, not dark as my memories of the book.

It's my confidence in Disney movies that's pretty low right now, primarily for their live action remakes of previous cartoons. Coupled with the fact I don't have confidence they could keep the somewhat dark tone of the books. It's been a while since I've seen the original (such negative memories I do have) that I found it laughable at the time, not dark as my memories of the book.

I have not been in the mood to try watching the live-action Lion King or Dumbo, but I loved the live-action Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast. And Jungle Book was good too, just not as good as those two. And I am getting impatient waiting for Mulan.

It's my confidence in Disney movies that's pretty low right now, primarily for their live action remakes of previous cartoons.

Between movies like Moana, Frozen 1&2, and Coco, but then also the live-action* remakes of Beauty and Beast, Lion King, etc, it really fells like Disney is simultaneously doing some of their best and worst work ever.

*considering the painful amount of awful CGI, I honestly have trouble considering these "live".

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Live Action Aladdin was shockingly painless. And Malificent (at least the first, still haven't seen the second) proves they can actually make these good if they try.

I'd be happier with a legit adaptation of the book series (animated or otherwise) than a live-action adaptation of The Black Cauldron (the film) but I could even see that being perfectly passable.

Live Action Aladdin was shockingly painless. And Malificent (at least the first, still haven't seen the second) proves they can actually make these good if they try.

I'd be happier with a legit adaptation of the book series (animated or otherwise) than a live-action adaptation of The Black Cauldron (the film) but I could even see that being perfectly passable.

When I was typing that, I was sure I was forgetting one. But since Maleficent is not a remake of an animated movie, and are rather prequels/sequels, I did not think of them to include them. I enjoyed them both, though the second one was more over-the-top action than I expected.

And I am pretty sure the rumors are for a live-action series based on the books and not a live-action version of the original film, which may be what some people posting here are misunderstanding.

While Maleficent was entertaining (and Angelina Jolie does a fantastic job), that movie was a bit of a mess. It bends over backwards to try and make the villain from Sleeping Beauty not a villain, and it just doesn't work. It abandons the plot of Sleeping Beauty halfway through, and simply forgets the stuff that it had set up.

Jungle Book was okay, but not as great as the animated version. It was really weird how they left out Kaa's song, and then put it over the end credits. Something clearly got left on the cuttingroom floor there. It was nice that they included some of the songs, and the CGI animals are really well done, but ultimately every song is worse compared to the original. Bill Murray does a fine Baloo, but he's not a very good singer.

I have yet to watch Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Dumbo or the Lion King. But I expect they will share the same flaws.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
While Maleficent was entertaining (and Angelina Jolie does a fantastic job), that movie was a bit of a mess. It bends over backwards to try and make the villain from Sleeping Beauty not a villain, and it just doesn't work. It abandons the plot of Sleeping Beauty halfway through, and simply forgets the stuff that it had set up.

Jungle Book was okay, but not as great as the animated version. It was really weird how they left out Kaa's song, and then put it over the end credits. Something clearly got left on the cuttingroom floor there. It was nice that they included some of the songs, and the CGI animals are really well done, but ultimately every song is worse compared to the original. Bill Murray does a fine Baloo, but he's not a very good singer.

I have yet to watch Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Dumbo or the Lion King. But I expect they will share the same flaws.

I tend to agree with you, the live action remakes have not matched the quality of the original animations.
I was disappointed with what they did with Maleficent, the malice of the animated dark queen i
s what makes her a classic villain, and denying her the draconic transformation was also a mistake.I liked Jungle Book but agree with you about some of the changes and the singing,.

The Lion King reanimation was drab, the scenes were the same but the animals were far less expressive (which considering they were cgi there was no excuse for)

Of all of the remakes Ive seen I liked Alladin, the two leads are fine in the roles, Jasmine is upgraded and gets a new song and Genie does a fine version of WIll Smith :)

Last edited:

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone

Lion King I've heard is especially uninspired. Carbon cut copy of original except it lacks the facial responses of animation and the same quality of voice actors (Seth Rogen cannot sing!)

Remove ads