• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Disney's disastrous year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
No one cares about the big CGI battle at the end that's been done to death: Spectacle Fatigue.

It's not actually Superhero Fatigue.

Replying again to add to this...

One of the problems the movie theaters have now is that Spectacle - the big screen and sound system - is their primary differentiator over home presentation. If you are correct, we are fatigued by the one thing movie theaters do really well. And that's rough for their business.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Fair possibility.

I saw The Marvels in the theater, and I liked it - I found it a thoroughly entertaining film.

The big fight at the end was cool enough, their having added some complications to make it at least a little different, requiring more teamwork than usual, but it was not the best part of the movie.
I think the biggest mistake was making the big random chaotic swapping fight incredibly entertaining, and the climactic well-practiced swapping fight was less so. I still think it was good, but it was a bit a letdown, ultimately.
Yeah, I mean - I loved Shang Chi, but I could care less about him fighting the Dragon. I'd have rather had more stuff with his father.
Agreed.
Black Widow was nearly ruined by its finale. Yelena was amazing, and her "parents" were great! But WHO CARES about the falling flying fortress? I don't even REMEMBER who the bad guy was there. Some evil suit? At any rate, that part was a big letdown.
The bad guy was very clearly Harvey Weinstein. I'd have thought that was obvious

nevin

Hero
well I can't find what i'm looking for so that number is probably something my mind mangled. but the common thread in all the big studies on twitter is that the vast majority of posts are made by a relatively small number of people.

nevin

Hero
Replying again to add to this...

One of the problems the movie theaters have now is that Spectacle - the big screen and sound system - is their primary differentiator over home presentation. If you are correct, we are fatigued by the one thing movie theaters do really well. And that's rough for their business.
there are many articles out there about why the movie looks so dark or why you can't hear what's being said on the movie you just watched on streaming. What gets me is the reaction from producer's and director's always seems to be So......get better equipment.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yes, but I'm talking more about Kardashians(bleh) and other "influencers" who use Twitter. Those are non-political(mostly) celebrities and I was under the impression that there are a lot of those.

In the past, perhaps, but it has been a long time since Instagram became the platform of choice for them.

cranberry

Adventurer
Dude, I haven't been to the movie theatre since 2018, and at this point kind of doubt I would ho back. A month of Netflix costs less than a single ticket.

Yes, but would the price of a ticket be an economic hardship and prevent you from going to a movie you wanted to see (if Netflix and similar services) didn't exist?

cranberry

Adventurer
I think you are missing the reality I explained above. It isn't that movies are bad today. It is that the theater experience is not so much better than the home experience to bother. The need to see things in the theater has largely dissolved.

I agree that streaming services are a big factor in declining movie theatre attendance. But this doesn't fully explain why some movies are successful at the theatre, while others aren't. (I believed the general rule is that a movie is successful if it's revenues exceed twice its production budget)

Last edited:

Kaodi

Hero
Were it not for the "eff the haters" factor it is true I would probably not still be thinking about going to see The Marvels. If it is still in theatre next weekend I may go. Would be my first movie in theatre since Endgame, pre-pandemic. I think the pandemic completely screwed the "theatre as event" dynamic. I did not see Top Gun: Maverick in theatre, and that, in theory was even more of an event for me than Endgame.

The only thing about the Dr. Who special that really confuses me is why they used the name "Rose" again. The Roses of the World already had a companion with the same name as them, so why did they need another?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads