• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Disney's disastrous year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryujin

Legend
The only thing about the Dr. Who special that really confuses me is why they used the name "Rose" again. The Roses of the World already had a companion with the same name as them, so why did they need another?
I would say that was because it was more evidence that Donna's memories were returning, or not completely suppressed. At least that was how I took it, when the name came up.

Pedantic

Legend
The only thing about the Dr. Who special that really confuses me is why they used the name "Rose" again. The Roses of the World already had a companion with the same name as them, so why did they need another?
I think that was RTD doubling down on signaling a return to his era of DW and its norms, to draw a clear line with Chibnall (and presumably Moffat's) tenure before that. The episode was pretty ham-handed in the way DW always is, but I appreciated what felt to me as very pointedly showcasing exactly how diversity was going to be handled. Very much telling the haters to move on, this is how it's going to be, combat wheelchairs, trans children, multicultural soldiers and all.

I'm just hoping he can carry the energy forward into something new with Gatwa's tenure. It's a little worrisome to dive wholesale right back into Tennant's energy, though I can absolutely see framing that as a palate cleanser.

MarkB

Legend
I would say that was because it was more evidence that Donna's memories were returning, or not completely suppressed. At least that was how I took it, when the name came up.
It was evidence of Rose Temple having shared the Doctor's mind and experience, at least subconsciously, long before the events of the episode. She chose that name for herself.

Pedantic

Legend
It was evidence of Rose Temple having shared the Doctor's mind and experience, at least subconsciously, long before the events of the episode. She chose that name for herself.
I quite liked working a chosen name in as foreshadowing, it was a clever idea.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I'm just hoping he can carry the energy forward into something new with Gatwa's tenure. It's a little worrisome to dive wholesale right back into Tennant's energy, though I can absolutely see framing that as a palate cleanser.

My only note is this- I kinda sorta didn't like the reveal of the "new Tardis interior" with Tennant.

Obviously, if Gatwa gets his own interior, that's totally cool. But new Doctor get a new interior. That's like, a law, or part of the Shadow Proclamation. And I'll be a little annoyed if Gatwa is using that interior. Not because it's bad, but because it's part of the icons of the changeover, and I'd rather he get his own.

I know, it's a little weirdsie that I have, but that's what I was thinking.

Staffan

Legend
My only note is this- I kinda sorta didn't like the reveal of the "new Tardis interior" with Tennant.

Obviously, if Gatwa gets his own interior, that's totally cool. But new Doctor get a new interior. That's like, a law, or part of the Shadow Proclamation. And I'll be a little annoyed if Gatwa is using that interior. Not because it's bad, but because it's part of the icons of the changeover, and I'd rather he get his own.

I know, it's a little weirdsie that I have, but that's what I was thinking.
I'm pretty sure 10 kept 9's interior. So in that way, you could consider 14's new interior to finally be Tennant getting his.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I'm pretty sure 10 kept 9's interior. So in that way, you could consider 14's new interior to finally be Tennant getting his.

Eh, it's complicated. Because of the timing with Eccleston, and the budget for the time, Tennant didn't get a new Tardis.

Same thing happened with Capaldi, by the way. Smith blew through two interiors (change in filming location, IIRC), so they didn't budget a new interior for that changeover.

The point being that while I understand the production reasons for these things, I am a little miffed that one of the great joys that we usually get with the new Doctor (the other two being the wardrobe and the characterizations) won't be present when Gatwa takes over. It's a small thing, obviously, but you always want to give every new Doctor a clean slate to work with as much as possible.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yes, but would the price of a ticket be an economic hardship and prevent you from going to a movie you wanted to see (if Netflix and similar services) didn't exist?
Yes. For a lower price than getting tickets, I bought the steel books for Mario and D&D, and can watch those in 4K at any time. I can't imagine going back to the theatres.

MarkB

Legend
Eh, it's complicated. Because of the timing with Eccleston, and the budget for the time, Tennant didn't get a new Tardis.

Same thing happened with Capaldi, by the way. Smith blew through two interiors (change in filming location, IIRC), so they didn't budget a new interior for that changeover.

The point being that while I understand the production reasons for these things, I am a little miffed that one of the great joys that we usually get with the new Doctor (the other two being the wardrobe and the characterizations) won't be present when Gatwa takes over. It's a small thing, obviously, but you always want to give every new Doctor a clean slate to work with as much as possible.
Personally I never much liked Jodie's TARDIS interior with its big naff yellow crystal column thingies, and carrying it forward into a new era wouldn't have felt right. The current design is the best it's looked since Eccleston's version, so it couldn't come soon enough as far as I'm concerned.

the whole X thing in there is a little odd. Musk has done everything he can to upset every group that he can and has turned X into a dumpster fire. Of course companies are pulling advertising from X. He keeps picking political fights that no sane businessman would every pick. Not sure why anyone would think Disney pulling dollars from X would be worse for them than staying attached to the Dumpster while the MadHatter continues the tea party, while mixing the tea with his leaf blower. I waffle between thinking X is doomed because of Debt and Musk is playing some super smart game to make everyone think it not his fault when it craters, to just thinking he's absolutely nuts.
The "best" conspiracy theory I've herad is that Musk was basically financially supported by the Saudi Arabians because they realized that Twitter was a useful tool used by regime-critical activists they rather not have organized or active.

But I think he could have done that a lot less spectacular and without making himself look quite as bad as he does, so I think it's still mostly nuts and has highly questionable moral and ethical qualities, to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads