Disney's making 10 Star Wars and 10 Marvel TV shows

GreyLord

Legend
Must be your browser or something. Twitter embeds show up just fine.
I suspect it has to do with the browser and other things.

Twitter embeds don't work with the browser I'm usually using which is FireFox. It could be FireFox or it could also be an adblock program which blocks unnecessary ads (you can tailor it so ads on a site get through, but not ads on other sites...for example...twitter stuff coming through even if you can see other ads on the site).

I can see ads on the Right Side of my screen on ENworld for example, but I only can see like the top of a twitter post (it's like in normal quotes, but doesn't expand so you can't see the rest of it) in the forums. I suspect it has something to do with FireFox or the browser...as you said.

pukunui

Legend
Actually, If I were to watch something with Star Wars and was based off of Rogue One, I'd prefer something with Forest Whitaker's character far more.
Yeah, I think it would interesting to explore Saw Gerrera’s story more. How did he get from where he was in The Clone Wars cartoon to the almost Vader-like damaged person we see him being in the movie.

They could also explore more of Jyn’s story in the process, showing her growing up under Saw’s wing.

I also don't see what Kenobi / Vader are supposed to be doing while Luke / Leia grow up. Vader can track leads for a while. This new "Ben" guy can mess with Imperial activity nearby, until he draws attention to himself and has to go take a deep-in-the-wilderness trip. But they can never meet, barely get near to it. "I sense something. Something I haven't felt since..."
Eventually the Emperor sends Vader to deal with some other problem, and the series naturally runs out of gas.

The main theory that I have read is that it will involve/end with Obi-Wan faking his own death. That will tie nicely into the lines Vader says in the original movie and explain things.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I also don't see what Kenobi / Vader are supposed to be doing while Luke / Leia grow up. Vader can track leads for a while. This new "Ben" guy can mess with Imperial activity nearby, until he draws attention to himself and has to go take a deep-in-the-wilderness trip. But they can never meet, barely get near to it. "I sense something. Something I haven't felt since..."
Eventually the Emperor sends Vader to deal with some other problem, and the series naturally runs out of gas.
Of course they can meet. Nothing ever said they hadn’t seen eachother since the lava battle. If it’s a few years into his exile, or even 10 years in, there is a decade or more for it to have been since Vader felt the presence of his old mentor.

Janx

Hero
But, I return to the fact that all of the MCU has roughly the content of a couple of seasons of TV. If it were TV, you'd expect it to be intertwined. So... how is intertwining on this much content a problem?
that and they were released in a non-overlapping sequence. How hard was it to watch 23 movies over 10 years?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
23 movies over 13 years? How many horror movies have come out in that time? Rom-Coms?
How many hours has Grey's Anatomy gone?

Just don't see how this is over saturation.

That was my point?

There are some people (not many) that complain about the MCU. But that's not much content in the grand scheme of things.

As I pointed out, the entirety of the MCU (up until recently) consisted of 23 movies spread out over 13 years.

TV shows, on the other hand, consist of 8-13 episodes per year (prestige) or 23 (standard broadcast) per year.

At a certain point, you can get fatigue from mining the same IP over and over over again at the same time.* Unlike event-movies, TV series can be more problematic. It's like a pie eating contest where the prize is ... more pie.

*I am hard-pressed to think of a single TV show that hasn't had this problem. Liked Law & Order? Well, they made too many spin-offs for a while. CSI? Same thing. Star Trek? Well, at one point they had TNG overlap with DS9, and DS9 overlap with Voyager, and Voyager ended with Enterprise beginning ... and that was the saturation until our current ST bonanza.

Probably the closest is the CW-verse, and, well, they sure are pretty.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
*I am hard-pressed to think of a single TV show that hasn't had this problem. Liked Law & Order? Well, they made too many spin-offs for a while. CSI? Same thing. Star Trek? Well, at one point they had TNG overlap with DS9, and DS9 overlap with Voyager, and Voyager ended with Enterprise beginning ... and that was the saturation until our current ST bonanza.

Looking back on that, though, I find it difficult to attribute the fall of of interest to "saturation". Fact is that large swaths of Voyager and Enterprise... just weren't great shows. This can be see, for example, in the feel of Enterprise during the Time War plot (which just wasn't great stuff), and then after that, when they handed off the reins to Manny Coto, and the quality of plot and writing shot up as he pivoted to the things the audience actually wanted out of the show... to little, too late.

Or, another way to put it, there's strong argument that the issue wasn't the audience getting saturated, but the producers getting saturated. Rick Berman and Brannon Braga shouldered the bulk of Trek for a long time.

ST: Disco and ST: Picard are using a different model, with the production and writing efforts spread around among more people. Almost like they may have learned from mistakes....

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Looking back on that, though, I find it difficult to attribute the fall of of interest to "saturation". Fact is that large swaths of Voyager and Enterprise... just weren't great shows. This can be see, for example, in the feel of Enterprise during the Time War plot (which just wasn't great stuff), and then after that, when they handed off the reins to Manny Coto, and the quality of plot and writing shot up as he pivoted to the things the audience actually wanted out of the show... to little, too late.

Or, another way to put it, there's strong argument that the issue wasn't the audience getting saturated, but the producers getting saturated. Rick Berman and Brannon Braga shouldered the bulk of Trek for a long time.

ST: Disco and ST: Picard are using a different model, with the production and writing efforts spread around among more people. Almost like they may have learned from mistakes....
The only bad part of Enterprise was the whole Xindi plot. The time war was fine.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
You don't have to watch them. I won't watch any that are animated, for a start.
You're missing out on some of the best Star Wars has to offer, then. :/

They may be cartoons, but they're as good if not better than any of the movies. The Clone Wars in particular redeems the prequel films and makes me feel for Anakin, Ben, the clones, etc. Vader doesn't feel like a forgone conclusion, but a villain created from a very conflicted young man who had one bad day when he was 19 and then years of heroism as the best star pilot in the galaxy, and a cunning warrior. And he was a good friend.

We see his two worst weeks in II and III. TCW shows everything in between, when he's at his best down to near his worst, before his turn to the Dark Side. We see why Padmé and Luke say that there's still good in him. We see why Ben calls him his brother. We don't see that in the movies because The Clone Wars is too large a story to tackle in just 2 films.

You can easily skip much of the series, but there are some really good arcs I'd URGE you to watch, despite their cartoon appearance.

Remove ads