• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Distractions - Forked Thread: Laptops and PDA's at the table... what do you use?

Rechan

Adventurer
One of my players just cannot stop quoting Monty Python or cracking any sort of humorous joke. It utterly obliterates the mood. His daughter/wife call or text him at least three times during the session, and I can't exactly say "Hey, you can't have contact with them", but it's rather irksome.

The other player has to stop my descriptions, explanations, or anything, so that I can go over the layout of (scenery/battlemat) three times because he HAS to be able to picture it fully "Just so he understands".

Kzach

Banned
Banned
As useful as PDA's/iPhones/Laptops are in a game, I've come to the conclusion that on balance, they detract from the experience and don't add to it. If you're so damned bored that you have to play on your computer, then go home and do that; you're not needed at my table.

Duskblade

Banned
Banned
We tried a laptop at the table. Thought it would speed up play.

But the guy that brought it ended up playing playing WoW at the game table. Another player caught him doing it and I tokk him into another room and had it out with him. I told he needed to ditch the laptop or the group. He chose the former.

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
No laptops, PDAs, iPhones, etc... at the table. Put your cellies on vibrate, and keep it nearby in case of an emergency.

I use a computer to keep my notes in place and my muziq queued up as a DM, but players aren't allowed to use PDAs, laptops or iPhones (meaning no java games to roll dice for you). Keeps people vested into the game, and undistracted.

Remove ads