D&D 3E/3.5 Diversity in D&D Third Edition

With 3rd Ed, our main goal was to return D&D to its roots, such as with Greyhawk deities and the return of half-orcs. By staying true to the feel of D&D, we helped the gaming audience accept the sweeping changes that we made to the rules system.

With 3rd Ed, our main goal was to return D&D to its roots, such as with Greyhawk deities and the return of half-orcs. By staying true to the feel of D&D, we helped the gaming audience accept the sweeping changes that we made to the rules system.

One way we diverged from the D&D heritage, however, was by making the game art more inclusive. People of color, for example, were hard to find in earlier editions, and, when they did make appearance, it wasn’t always for the best. Luckily for us, Wizards of the Coast had an established culture of egalitarianism, and we were able to update the characters depicted in the game to better reflect contemporary sensibilities.

dnd-party.jpg

A few years before 3E, the leadership at Wizards had already encouraged me to go whole-hog with the multicultural look of the RPG Everway (1995). In this world-hopping game, we provided players and Gamemasters with scores of color art cards to inspire them as they created their characters and NPCs. The art featured people and settings that looked like they could have come from fantasy versions of places all around the earth, and the gender balance was great. I once got an email from a black roleplayer who said that Everway had forever changed the way he roleplayed, so I know that the game’s multicultural look was meaningful to some gamers out there. With D&D, we took the game in the same direction, but not nearly as far. The core setting has always resembled medieval Europe, and we expanded the diversity of the characters while still maintaining the medieval milieu.

The characters that players see the most are the “fab four,” the four iconic characters that we used repeatedly in our art and in our examples of play. Two are men (the human cleric and the dwarf fighter) and two are women (the elf wizard and the halfling rogue). Given the demographics of gamers in 2000, the implication that half of all D&D characters are female was a bit of a stretch. The only complaints we got, however, were about the introductory Adventure Game, where the characters were pregenerated, with names and genders assigned to them. Some young men would have preferred fewer female characters and more males to choose from. None of us worried too much about those complaints.

In addition to the main four characters, we also assigned a particular character to represent each of the other classes, with that character appearing in examples of play and in art. The four human characters comprised a white man (the cleric), a white woman (the paladin), a black woman (the monk), and an Asian man (the sorcerer). The remaining four nonhuman iconics were three men and one woman. It was a trick to strike the right balance in assigning fantasy races and genders to all the classes and to assign ethnicities to the human characters, but the iconic characters seemed to be a big hit, and I think the diversity was part of the appeal.

Somewhat late in the process, the marketing team added Regdar, a male fighter, to the mix of iconic characters. We designers weren’t thrilled, and as the one who had drawn up the iconic characters I was a little chapped. My array of iconic characters did not include a human male fighter, and that’s the most common D&D character ever, so the marketing team gave us one. We carped a little that he meant adding a second white man to the array of characters, but at least he was dark enough to be ambiguously ethnic. Regdar proved popular, and if the marketing team was looking for an attractive character to publicize, they got one.

Back in 1E, Gary Gygax had used the phrase “he or she” as the default third person singular pronoun, a usage that gave the writing a legalistic vibe that probably suited it. In 2E, the text stated up front that it was just going to use “he” because grammatically it’s gender-neutral. Even in 1989, insisting that “he” is gender neutral was tone deaf. By the time I was working on 3E, I had been dealing with the pronoun issue for ten years. In Ars Magica (1987), we wrote everything in second person so that we could avoid gendered pronouns. The rules said things like, “You can understand your familiar” instead of “The wizard can understand his/her/their familiar.” In Over the Edge (1992), we used “he” for the generic player and “she” for the generic gamemaster, which felt balanced and helped the reader keep the two roles separate. That sort of usage became standard for Atlas Games’s roleplaying games. Personally, I use singular-they whenever I can get away with it, but 20 years ago that was still generally considered unorthodox. For 3E, I suggested that we tie the pronouns to the iconic characters. The iconic paladin was a woman, so references to paladins in the rules were to “her.” I thought we’d catch flak from someone about this usage, but I never heard fans complaining.

One topic we needed to settle was whether monsters that were gendered as female in folklore, such as a lamia, should be exclusively female in D&D. I figured we should ditch gender limits wherever we could, but an editor argued that gender was important for the identity of a monster like the lamia. I asked, “Is that because it is in woman’s nature to deceive and destroy men?” Luring and destroying men is a common trope for female-gendered monsters, with the lamia as an example. “Yes, it is” said the editor, but she was laughing, and I had made my point. You can see an illustration of a male lamia in the 3E Monster Manual.

While we incorporated Greyhawk’s deities into 3rd Ed, we had no intention of picking up Greyhawk’s description of various human ethnic groups, corresponding more or less to ethnicities found on Earth. For gamers who cared about the Greyhawk canon, the Asian sorcerer would be from a lightly described territory to the west and the black monk would be a “Touv” from the jungles of Hepmonaland. Touvs in 2E were defined as having a penalty to their Intelligence scores, and we sure didn’t want to send any players in that direction. In 3E, the Asian and black characters were just humans, full stop.

The good news is that the gaming audience rolled with the iconic characters featuring people of color and women. With 5th Ed, the design team picked up where we left off and have pursued diversity further. The diverse cast of characters goes a long way in making D&D look modern and mature.

Jonathan Tweet

Jonathan Tweet

D&D 3E, Over the Edge, Everway, Ars Magica, Omega World, Grandmother Fish

Warpiglet

Adventurer
Ask and ye shall receive lol. One of AD&D’s most prolific artists, Jim Holloway, had a style that was much more realistic and less heroic. Most of his characters were regular looking dudes with period correct attire and fashion

View attachment 116721
I am likely in the minority on this one...

I miss more realistic armor and characters being sprinkled in the books.

It's fantasy so the proportion of women and people of color in a pseudo medieval European place is a non issue but I like to hearken back to guys with swords and torches...bucket helmets...less than full plate.

I could do with less feathers and bright colors for the heroes and heroines.

As to inclusivity...I might imagine more pseudo European people maybe more of lighter complection than not.

But there is a separate issue. What is good for health of the game? I think a greater variety of people help broaden the appeal of the game. Put simply it is a good trend.

My daughter has expressed interest in playing. She prefers to play a female character and since
The book shows plenty of heroines and it does not seem weird that as a girl she would play.

Of course then she saw some dungeons and doggies miniatures and wants to play a sentient dog...kids these days.

(I spent 20 bucks on them. If this gets her into a healthy good hobby it's so worth it).

Of note there is a group of middle school girls that have played at a
School game club. I suspect representation in art is helpful in expanding the games appeal.

Even for crotchety guys like me, this is a win
For the hobby...

Even though I would personally like more traditonal
Knights from the 1100-1300s...the game and art associated is big enough to "share" with other preferences. Grow the game...expand its appeal

Sacrosanct

Legend
He never got his name on bubble gum cards, or his posters sold at cons so he not really important. OK JOKE. But I forgot about him.

Which is weird people forget about him. He was extremely prolific, even doing the cover for what many consider the best AD&D module: The Lost City.

And he was ahead of his time, in so far as the topic of this thread goes. He almost never did cheesecake. Look at this cover, and the attire the female is wearing? (Ignore the 80s hair lol).

1575994143776.png

Holloway often gets forgotten about, alas. But his artwork stands the test of time, having both humor and realism (okay, maybe realism isn't the right word...maybe I should say that it felt grounded). But his covers could get just as epic as any of the Four Horsemen:

1575995200022.png

1575995284074.png

Which is weird people forget about him. He was extremely prolific, even doing the cover for what many consider the best AD&D module: The Lost City.

And he was ahead of his time, in so far as the topic of this thread goes. He almost never did cheesecake. Look at this cover, and the attire the female is wearing? (Ignore the 80s hair lol).

Sacrosanct

Legend
Holloway often gets forgotten about, alas. But his artwork stands the test of time, having both humor and realism (okay, maybe realism isn't the right word...maybe I should say that it felt grounded). But his covers could get just as epic as any of the Four Horsemen:

I will admit I'm a Holloway fan, which is no secret. If you look at the art I had done for my superdungeon in my sig, it was done by Brian "Glad" Thomas. And I chose him because I wanted Felk Mor to have an old school feel and aesthetic, and Brian's work is very close to Jim's.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
As a Swarthican-American caramello black dude, if I’m roleplaying a “minority” character in a historical/quasi-historical/alt-history setting where that minority would be oppressed in some way, I’d expect some kind of problems arising from his or her minority status. If that gets handwaved away, I find that disappointing.

That's totally fair and reasonable. But I also don't think you'd want to say that you're speaking for all black folks. I've known folks who want to play characters that reflect themselves without having to deal with the same crap they deal with in their daily lives, which I feel is an equally valid play expectation. Also...

(One of the reasons Will Smith’s Wild, Wild West bugs me so is that- while there were a few black Secret Service agents in that time period, none of them would have made a good undercover agent due to the societal restrictions of the day.)

This is the thing that bugs you about Will Smith's Wild, Wild West? :p

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That's totally fair and reasonable. But I also don't think you'd want to say that you're speaking for all black folks. I've known folks who want to play characters that reflect themselves without having to deal with the same crap they deal with in their daily lives, which I feel is an equally valid play expectation. Also...

No, I wouldn’t make that presumption. We all have different hot buttons, to be sure, and fun time is the wrong time to be pressing them.

Plus, having gamed with at least one (strongly suspected) racist, i wouldn’t expect a full-on historical re-enactment, either, if only to make sure he didn’t think I was chill with the terminology.

This is the thing that bugs you about Will Smith's Wild, Wild West? :p

”One of...”. “ONE OF...”! :D

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Well that reminds me about a discussion in my country about the theoretic reactions on the situation that a plane gets hijacked and the hijacker threats to steer it into some populated building. The question was wheter a combat aircraft pilot is allowed to shoot it down for the greater good.
The juristic opinion based on the laws in the country where I live is astonishing to some, but nevertheless quite logical. It is forbidden to even sacrifice one innocent to save one million lives. You cannot weigh up human lives versus other human lives, to do so would be highly amoral.
A defense minister or government ordering the downing of a hijacked plane to prevent greater loss of lives would have to instantly resign, and would be due to a murder investigation and the pilot carrying out the downing would be held for accomplice.
For some this is hard to understand, but it is the most basic human right, the right to live. It is no different for victims in a captured plane than for potential victims on the ground. (Also there is something about determination in this hypothetical situation, for you cannot be sure about the actions of the hijacker until it is to late, in other words, there could be the possibility that his threat was a bluff)

I live in the USA now and don't know the laws on this (probably pretty lax considering I just saw a news report of cops using cars with civilians in them for cover in a shootout in a hostage situation). But the big ethical dilemma that is similar to this is the "do you bomb innocents in Hiroshima/Nagasaki, or do a ground invasion which could kill many more?"

No easy answer on that one honestly.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
It's really only in historical settings IMHO that restrictive gender norms make sense. Even then there's a difference between highly unlikely and impossible (female pope, commando, bomber command pilot).

Since most RPGs don't use historical settings you don't need to use RL gender expectations. Joan of Arc wasn't the only female warrior in Europe, a German warrior a and his wife also a warrior served the Byzantines.

Historical accuracy only matters in serious Drama type productions which once again doesn't apply to D&D.
Also, as someone who does educational historical re-enactment professionally: we actively look for exceptions to historical gender and race roles so that we can educate people about those stories.

Tony Vargas

Legend
(One of the reasons Will Smith’s Wild, Wild West bugs me so is that- while there were a few black Secret Service agents in that time period, none of them would have made a good undercover agent due to the societal restrictions of the day.)
I loved the original Wild Wild West as a kid, but, it was just a mad wild-west (Victorian) science-fantasy spy-spoof (presaging Steampunk, really), steeped in the pop culture goofyness of the 60s (much like the contemporaneous Batman, or the Mrs Peel & Tara King seasons of the Avengers). It's hardly fair to impeach it for historical inaccuracy. Same goes for the Will Smith version. Though I was disappointed they cast someone so tall - I'd've preferred J.Lo.

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
"do you bomb innocents in Hiroshima/Nagasaki, or do a ground invasion which could kill many more?"
"do you bomb innocents in Hiroshima/Nagasaki, or do you wait for the Soviets to invade Japan and take half?"
I don't want to derail this thread, but ugh....
I loved the original Wild Wild West as a kid, but, it was just a mad wild-west (Victorian) science-fantasy spy-spoof (presaging Steampunk, really), steeped in the pop culture goofyness of the 60s (much like the contemporaneous Batman, or the Mrs Peel & Tara King seasons of the Avengers). It's hardly fair to impeach it for historical inaccuracy. Same goes for the Will Smith version. Though I was disappointed they cast someone so tall - I'd've preferred J.Lo.
I remember watching the show when they started airing reruns on some local channel and being very bored, but also very confused, like what kind of adaptation was this? where's the crazy sci fi action?

Remove ads

Remove ads