Divine Challenge=Divine Sanction?

You have to pay to use the search function? :cool:

Anyway, is Divine Sanction and Divine Challenge the same thing? Because I see Divine Sanction mentioned in a few Paladin powers, but I don't see it listed anywhere else, yet, I hear posters mention it too. So I am assuming they are the same, or am I simply oblivious to something? I don't see anything in the errata, so I think I may be just losing it.

Also, when you use the "Call to Challenge" Paladin Utility 2 power, it says each target in the burst is under your Divine Sanction. How does this work, exactly? Must the Paladin end up next to, or attack all those enemies, or lose the ability to use Divine Sanction next round (or make a new challenge)?

Assuming Divine Challenge is Divine Sanction.

DracoSuave

First Post
Divine Sanction and Divine Challenge aren't the same thing, tho they are -very- similiar. DS is described in Divine Power, and this is what it does:

Divine Sanction marks the target and if they make an attack that doesn't include you as a target, they take 3+your Charisma Modifier in damage. (goes up by tier of course)

This might sound the same as Divine Challenge, but there are differences. Divine Challenge is the primary method a paladin uses, and is the result of a power with that name, and has limitations. Divine Sanction does the same thing but has different durations, does not care if you are engaging the target, and you need to take powers that grant you that ability.

Basicly, Divine Sanction was invented so that Paladins could have powers that marked targets be meaningful, in the same way a Fighter's or Warden's are.

Ah, thanks, I overlooked it in DP, I didn't think it would be in shade (for some reason). But the ability makes sense to me now, as well as the associated powers. Thanks again.

Nahat Anoj

First Post
I'm hoping that one of these days they errata Divine Challenge so that if uses Divine Sanction terminology. For example, something like this:

divinechallenge.gif

It doesn't really change anything, but I like how Divine Sanction tidies up and unifies the paladin's marking mechanic. Indeed, I think all of the paladin's marking powers should incorporate Divine Sanction in some way, rather than have it be split between Divine Challenge, Divine Sanction, and regular marks.

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
There's only two differences I know of off hand.

1) There's a feat that adds your strength modifier to the mark damage of divine challenge. It does NOT apply to divine sanction.

2) Divine challenge: You must engage a target to maintain it. Divine Sanction: Has a set duration.

Destil

Explorer
I'm hoping that one of these days they errata Divine Challenge so that if uses Divine Sanction terminology. For example, something like this:

divinechallenge.gif

It doesn't really change anything, but I like how Divine Sanction tidies up and unifies the paladin's marking mechanic. Indeed, I think all of the paladin's marking powers should incorporate Divine Sanction in some way, rather than have it be split between Divine Challenge, Divine Sanction, and regular marks.
That's a pretty good idea. In fact they could unify it so that Divine Sanction is a paladin class feature that applies the effect to any marked opponent; this would increase the power of some pre-DP marking powers and multiclass marking options, but I don't think any of them would be broken. Going from 3 to 1 marking mechanics is a big improvement.

Nahat Anoj

First Post
That's a pretty good idea. In fact they could unify it so that Divine Sanction is a paladin class feature that applies the effect to any marked opponent; this would increase the power of some pre-DP marking powers and multiclass marking options, but I don't think any of them would be broken. Going from 3 to 1 marking mechanics is a big improvement.
I agree, it probably would be best for all paladin marking powers to utilize Divine Sanction.

That's pretty cool. I make my own character sheets in Excel format so that the calculated numbers change automatically and I basically did the exact same thing with DC/DS to save space on the sheet. Yours is much more official looking.
Thanks, I use the 4e Power Toolkit to format new powers.

DracoSuave

First Post
One thing to be aware of when changing DC to use DS notation is that swarms will stop taking extra damage from DC, making Paladins less effective against them. One thing that Paladins have always had going for them was their Defendery efficacy against swarms, not just undead. (Vulnerable to close powers -does- include Divine Challenge, but divine sanction is a feature, not a power)

Remove ads