• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Divine Ranks for Monstrous Deities

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
heh... :)

so, for the sake of argument, if i was using the Monster Mythology version of Jazirian alone, what DR would make the most sense for him? :)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
BOZ said:
so, for the sake of argument, if i was using the Monster Mythology version of Jazirian alone, what DR would make the most sense for him? :)

It's hard to say. If we presume that DvR is the measure of a god's power, then it would make sense (to me anyway) that that comes from two sources: how many worshippers the god has, and that god's might as represented by their race (e.g. all else being equal, one would think a god of dragons is stronger than a god of humans, since dragons themselves are stronger than humans).

Jazirian is the god of couatl, which are powerful creatures, but on the other hand, rare ones compared to say, humans, so he wouldn't have as many worshippers as a human god. Therefore, I'd say either 17 or 18 for his divine rank.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Krishnath said:
18, and both spellcasting and psionic abilities.

Well, he'd have those simply by nature of being a couatl (that is, he's a couatl with divine ranks and class levels added). That's simply if you want to use the classic D&Dg build for making deities, Jazirian would just have 20 Outsider hit dice, and all the powers and abilities listed for a couatl.

In terms of spellcasting, he should have twenty levels of sorcerer, since those would stack with his natural ability to cast spells as a 9th level sorcerer. Especially given that all couatl can choose their sorcerer spells from the sor/wiz spell list, the cleric spell list, and the Air, Good, and Law domains (of couse, since he could use those spells naturally anyway, that doesn't matter much for Jazirian).

For psionics, I'm unsure whether to say psion class levels, or wilder levels.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
cool. i'll notate to myself that 18 is the appropriate level. when/if i actually decide to convert him (years from now?) then i'll decide how i want to proceed with that.

now, moving on...

a question before i do anything else. for the elf/dwarf/halfling/gnome/orc gods, such as those featured in Faiths & Pantheons, do we have anything like DR or stats or whatnot given for them? or is it mostly just flavor text and info on their religions?

Krishnath

First Post
No divine rank is given in the Races of... books, although they do mention wether or not the gods in question are lesser, greater, demi, or intermediate gods.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
OK, i'll need to look that up before i do anything else. would you later want to work with those gods? we can skip most of the flavor text and say "refer to this book..."

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
BOZ, I wasn't sure if you were asking about F&P or just referencing it, but the book only has DvR for two nonhuman deities (Kossuth notwithstanding, despite him being a god of elemental fire).

F&P has Eilistraee (drow) as being DvR 7, and Lolth (drow) as being DvR 15 (same as in D&Dg).

I'd certainly still be interested in working on this. The problem being that I'd start wanting to make improvements on some of the most glaring inconsistencies (such as how no gods have Epic Spellcasting)...basically, I'd want to use the guidelines in Chapter 4 of The Gates of Hell, by Dicefreaks.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads