D&D General DM Authority

Oofta

Legend
But if there are rules--optional rules, yes, but rules, nonetheless--in the books for playing without a DM, then it's not so impossible as you seem to be claiming.
I went to look for the rules because even though I read the DMG (I'm weird, I also at least skim the manual for new cars too) didn't see any. I saw the rules for random dungeons in Appendix A, but nothing about using them to play a game without a DM.

So I was curious. Are you talking 5E? Am I just missing it?

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I went to look for the rules because even though I read the DMG (I'm weird, I also at least skim the manual for new cars too) didn't see any. I saw the rules for random dungeons in Appendix A, but nothing about using them to play a game without a DM.

I don't see rules to that effect in the 5E DMG, either--it's possible both of us missed them--but the 1E DMG has a few paragraphs on using the random generation stuff for solo play, which isn't a big leap. It doesn't look as though it would be all that difficult, from a putting it together perspective. I wouldn't call it not-D&D if someone did that. I'd say it'd almost certainly be limited to a single type of adventure that is not one I particularly enjoy, so I'm not inclined to do it, but that's all about my tastes and preferences.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

I don't remember those rules, either, but then I also file rules that have a snowball's chance in hell of ever making it into my game in the dump and forgetting about them, so I just assumed that since more than one person was saying it, that it was correct.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I don't see rules to that effect in the 5E DMG, either--it's possible both of us missed them--but the 1E DMG has a few paragraphs on using the random generation stuff for solo play, which isn't a big leap. It doesn't look as though it would be all that difficult, from a putting it together perspective. I wouldn't call it not-D&D if someone did that. I'd say it'd almost certainly be limited to a single type of adventure that is not one I particularly enjoy, so I'm not inclined to do it, but that's all about my tastes and preferences.
When I was in junior high I played 1e that way...................once. I was so bored since my friends were all busy, that I mapped out a dungeon, filled it with monsters and treasures, made a part, then played it in the dungeon. I rolled randomly for what the monsters would do and I made it less than halfway through the dungeon before I became even more bored with playing that way than not playing at all. I still felt like I was playing D&D when I did it.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Either there's one line and one clear cut definition of what D&D is or there's not. Since there is no clear cut definition, the line is kind of like Schroedinger's cat, where it falls depends on the observer. But I'm also not being exclusive. I freely admit other people will draw the line elsewhere because it really doesn't matter.
I accept that it isn’t your intent to communicate exclusivity, but you should know that your langue is coming across as very exclusive. It would be a simple matter for you to use the much more inclusive phrasing, “Isn’t what I want from D&D” over the implicitly exclusive phrasing “isn’t D&D.” I can’t imagine why someone who didn’t want to be perceived as being exclusive would refuse to make such a simple change.

These were in the 1ed DMG. All that is left now are the rules (and even these have been cut down by a lot) for the randomized dungeon lay out. Previously, the rules had encounters included in the roll, in addition of random encounters every 10 minutes or so. Room content was randomized and monsters could appear on randomized content. Even treasure was random and not necessarily linked to monster's presence.

I used to use the random dungeons back in the days to test adventures encounters and difficulties. It was useful the time I took to be a better judge of what encounters would be too hard or too easy. I have not used these rules for an eternity now.

Oofta

Legend
I accept that it isn’t your intent to communicate exclusivity, but you should know that your langue is coming across as very exclusive. It would be a simple matter for you to use the much more inclusive phrasing, “Isn’t what I want from D&D” over the implicitly exclusive phrasing “isn’t D&D.” I can’t imagine why someone who didn’t want to be perceived as being exclusive would refuse to make such a simple change.
In part I'm probably being stubborn because chaos keeps saying I've said things I have not. In part because I think people should be free to express their opinion however they want on this forum as long as they aren't rude, telling others what to do, or that what they're wrong.

I'm not telling anyone they're doing it wrong. I haven't put words in their mouth. Time and time again I've told them that their opinion, even though it's different than mine is perfectly okay. But I also don't appreciate being told that I'm not allowed to express my thoughts on a subject because I don't phrase it in the correct fashion.

A pie without a bottom layer becomes a cobbler, a D&D game without a DM becomes something other than D&D. In my opinion. 🤷‍♂️

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
A pie without a bottom layer becomes a cobbler, a D&D game without a DM becomes something other than D&D. In my opinion. 🤷‍♂️
And official rules say otherwise.

Heck, how do you treat the actual D&D games that can be used for D&D-esque activities? I'm moreso thinking of the NWN modules that recreate some of the PNP modules as faithfully as possible. You don't need a DM for those and can otherwise interact with them exactly as with the modules, does that make them no longer D&D? Despite being in a 3E based system and based on D&D things?

I think someone should just whip up one of those memes people use for the definition of sandwiches and re-do it for D&D

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases