• Both

Votes: 91 23.2%
  • Neither

Votes: 19 4.8%
  • Huh?

Votes: 7 1.8%

Mark Hope

Adventurer
DM. The geekier the better. After all, it's a bit late to worry about that side of things given that I'm playing rpgs and all... :D

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Both.

I tend to use DM when speaking about D&D, specifically. I tend to use GM when speaking specifically about another game, or about gaming in a general sense. I don't care much which one other people use.

Flynn

First Post
I prefer to use the title appropriate to the game. D&D uses DM, other games use GM, Traveller uses Referee, and WoD uses Storyteller. It just makes sense to use the convention appropriate to the system you're playing in.

My Two Coppers, Anyway,
Flynn

I use the generic. GM. Both when referring the person who runs the game as a player, an myself as the role.

If I run D&D, I'm not just mastering the Dungeon, I'm running the outside world, NPCs ect. :lol:

sjmiller

Explorer
lukelightning said:
DM. That's the term I learned first, that's what's stuck in my brain.
If that were true in my case, then I would be using Ref for everything. I started playing Traveller back in '79, and it still have a great influence on my gaming.

Brazeku

First Post
I prefer GM for all cases. Also, I don't run D&D, I run D20. Even if I'm using the PHB and all the SRD stuff, I refer to it as D20. Mostly because there are rarely, if ever, any dungeons in my campaigns, and I don't like dragons. So there you go.

fanboy2000

Adventurer
Just don't call me late for dinner...

Atavar said:
Oddly, in my mind a GM is simply a more generic term for DM. DM's are a subset of GM's.
That's the way I think. GM is the generic and some systems have their different titles for the same thing. If I'm talking about a specific system, I use the title that goes with it. If I'm running a game, I use the title the system uses. But my players can, and do call me everything under the sun.

so long as they don't fall asleep in my game they could call me "Hey you" for all I care.
I'm the same way. This attitude sometimes leads to me being called disparaging things, but if I had thin skin, I wouldn't DM. ;)

Remove ads